+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Newborn unsettled late night, normal?

Hi all, my 2 week old is pretty good at the whole feed, wake for a tiny bit of time and then sleep. However come 10pm until approx 11pm/midnight he is very unsettled and will just cry until picked up, rocked etc. I dont mind as eventually he will fall asleep or have another feed and then sleep, but I am just wondering if this is considered 'normal' as my DS used to be more unsettled in the late avo / early evening (5-8pm).

Also if my newborn wakes early (if feed was at 7am, but he wakes at 9am) do you just cuddle, settle until the feed is due (around 10am) or just feed? I cant remember what I used to do with DS1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    babies are unsettled at different times. My DD was usually cranky pants between 10pm-midnight till 6wks old ish. Now her arsenic time is 4-6pm.

With feeds I dont know if you are BF/FF so it would depend. I just fed on demand or whenever DD woke up/cried/was unsettled/unhappy and didnt quite schedule feeds till after 7mths.

Tho IMO newborns need to be demand fed regardless of FF/BF.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds totally normal to me.

Both mine used to wake around 10pm for a feed & a cuddle & would scream the house down if they didn't get it.

I am pretty sure around the 2-3 week mark they go through some changes & can become more unsettled as well.

Goodluck hope it improves…my 5 month old still does it though.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Hi all, my 2 week old is pretty good at the whole feed, wake for a tiny bit of time and then sleep. However come 10pm until approx 11pm/midnight he is very unsettled and will just cry until picked up, rocked etc. I dont mind as eventually he will fall asleep or have another feed and then sleep, but I am just wondering if this is considered 'normal' as my DS used to be more unsettled in the late avo / early evening (5-8pm).

Also if my newborn wakes early (if feed was at 7am, but he wakes at 9am) do you just cuddle, settle until the feed is due (around 10am) or just feed? I cant remember what I used to do with DS1.
    It's very normal for newborns to have periods of unsettledness, and this will vary between babes.

I offer the breast every time and don't have set times for feeding and sleeping...I don't really take note of the time for things like that. I find it way easier to let bub lead that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, I guess I just wanted to hear that I am not alone as most nights I feel a little down and like I am the only mother out there going through it! Dh has been a great help staying up for the late feed, but now he has to get up early for work, so it is me and the crying baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Thanks for your replies, I guess I just wanted to hear that I am not alone as most nights I feel a little down and like I am the only mother out there going through it! Dh has been a great help staying up for the late feed, but now he has to get up early for work, so it is me and the crying baby.
    I know how you feel, my DS is nearly 3 weeks old and is currently waking every hour and a half for feeds! my DH went back to work too today. Its lonely at night when you're up feeding, just remember you're not really alone, there are loads of people out there doing the same.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beatnik For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another new mum with a three week old, and all day yesterday and last night he wanted to be fed every two hours. It's tiring!! But I'm just following his lead and hoping he settles down again soon back to the luxurious three hour break between feeds haha. You are not alone

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheWillowTree For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (27-02-2012)