+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    there have never been any studies done showing that babies sleep better after starting solids. in fact the studies to date have revealed the opposite in some cases.

Solids in the first year are not the primary source of nutrition - there is a good saying that alot of people follow "food is for fun before they are one". There are certainly nutrional advantages to solids as well but the main source of nutrition would either be breastmilk or formula during the first year.

There is no way i would be giving an 8 week old baby anything other than breastmilk or formula. The earliest solids would normally be introduced is between 4-6 months.

Here is some information that you could show your MIL with regard to the old wives tale about solids helping your baby sleep through the night.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-sleep.html

A newborn is not designed to sleep through the night at any rate, their metabolism is such that most babies will require frequent feeding…a fact that your MIL probably isn't aware of…i know my MIL wasn't.

Good luck in either convincing her she is wrong or just ignoring her all together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No & no!

Have very little nutritional value what so ever. Let alone for an 8 week old.

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP

I got the same lectures from my nan with both kids especially because I didn't give farex at all and because I didn't really start them both until about 6 months .

As for sleeping through , that's rubbish ! Both my kids have never EVER slept through , my son never really ate solids he still to this day can take food or leave it , he's a terrible eater , but as for my dd , she is honestly the biggest piggy , she eats so much solid food , a heap of bottles all day , and STILL feeds during the night every couple of hours , solids hasn't made any difference !

At 8 weeks I was also getting told that I was pretty much starving my baby and in " their" day babies were getting farex at a few weeks old . Times have changed , just respectfully stand your ground .

Xxoo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I used it a tiny bit, but think it's kind of a stupid "first food," tbh.

I would never consider using it with an 8-week-old. I'd ignore the older generation - their recommendations were different to ours, so they prob fed their kids that early, but more recent studies have suggested it unwise and unhealthy to introduce solids at that age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DS was a baby, solids weren't recommended until 6 months. I think it's changed to 4 now though? Either way, you are right and 8 weeks is waaaayyy to young. I agree with the PP who said to tell her things have changed since she had babies and the recommendations are now blah blah blah because of blah blah blah. I find the line "My Dr/Midwife/CHN says ......." is useful for getting people to back off even if you haven't spoken to them about it. You are the parents and these are your decisions to make, not the Grandparent no matter how well meaning they may be.

As for Farex itself? Tastes awful. I tried to give it to DS and he wouldn't have a bar of it. I tasted it and understood why! It's foul. We did BLW as well and he ate pretty much what we did from an early age and still does now at 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    8 week olds don't have the head control and still have the tongue thrust reflex so it would be quite dangerous i would think....

and an 8 week old wakes because they are an 8 week old baby. that's what they do.....

whether it's farex, pureed veg or blw i think the worry is the age!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I find it frightening that people still spout off this garbage, whether they are old or not! It's really dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL was the same, 'put it in the bottle', apparently her paediatrician told her to , but that was 40 yrs ago!

I started my girls in Rafferties Brown Rice Cereal at 4 months post their due date (premmies and probs with weight gain). My MIL then suggested adding Glucose Syrup because rice cereal is a 'little tart'. I informed her that we're not allowed to do that anymore, my standard response to her suggestions, trying not to offend. She then demanded to know who said that.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No, just no.

Just tell her that the child health nurse and the Dr said no to giving it now...she may not believe you anyway because older people get funny ideas in their heads. Perhaps babies wake up regularly because they need to eat because they are growing so rapidly.

Go with your gut and don't worry about advice that went out with the beehive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou all so much for the replies. My dp and i had a big arguement about it the other week because i am not interested in giving it to my boy 'because we want him to sleep through the night' A baby wakes!! Its normal for them to wake up at night several times!! My SIL rekons her kids had farex at 6 weeks and slept through the night, my MIL believes 100% that it will make him sleep! I dont believe it, nor do i even want to try it. I KNOW babies have small bellies, which is why they wake up.. My DP was giving farex as a child at 7 weeks or so and my partner has stomach issues ( but wont admit it, goes to the loo LOTS during the day, also was an overweight baby ) Hmmm go figure?!! Clearly his stomach is stuffed up from all the rubbish she was putting into him like farex!!!!!
    I have told DP we are not giving it to him full stop. We visited the inlaws just a few days ago and of course MIL said " i was walking in the shop and saw farex and thought i'll buy it next time to give to him!" OVER MY DEAD BODY! Now i dont trust my son to stay there and since she has been on about farex i have not asked her to mind my boy because i simply dont trust her anymore, purely for the fact she keeps on about farex and will most likley give my bub it when im not around. Next time she says anything about it, i will be saying firmly that im the parent, and i have decided i dont want him on it, FULL STOP!
    Im honestly sick of MIL's who are stuck in the 1950's. Its 2012 for goodness sake!!!!!!!! I have had the same problem with her putting my newborn baby on his stomach to sleep. Asked her to mind bub for a couple hours while i slept there to catch up on sleep, woke up, went into the room and here he was laying on his stomach! OOOOOh i turned him over withint 1 sec, fasted ive ever moved, and told DP to tell his mother to NEVER EVER put my baby down like that ever again.
    She gets on my nerves like something shocking, ( have had big issues with her because she thinks im taking her son away from her! )

Thankyou all so much for the replies, i will definitely be standing my ground and wont be using farex, i will be starting him on avocado, sweet potato, pumpkin etc.. Much more healthier!!!