+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default While on maternity leave, how often do you keep in touch ie visit, email or call!

I just wonder if I should be going into work so to keep in the loop more often? DS was born 10 weeks ago and I've been in twice, although I've been the one keeping in touch, not the people at work. How often should I keep in touch I.e. visiting, emailing, calling etc?
    Last edited by avenew05; 26-02-2012 at 22:21.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    IMO, you are on leave so not required to be in contact at all. The changes that you are up to speed on now could be completely over riden by new changed in the month before you get back. I would think it entirely acceptable to make contact in the month before you return to get up to speed, but other than that, enjoy your new baby - They grow up so fast.

Also, for the person in your role, it may be very uncomfortable for them to feel you are checking up on them - they have been appointed to that role for the interim and need to feel free to carry out their role.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Californication  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went in weekly or fortnightly.
    I went in a week after I had dd than couldn't for the next five weeks during that time the temp who was taking my role started and I visited the week after she started. In the week between her starting and me visiting she had already assumed I wasn't coming back and her and her friends (who I knew) were bagging me out on Facebook and hoping I wasn't coming back. After I found the comments I visited more frequently so she was well aware that I had every intention of going back. But also I missed my friends and the kids and wanted dd to bond with her teachers before we went back as she was returning with me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SpecialPatrolGroup, I didn't think that way, although my role is being covered by multiple people.

It's not a big office and is very close knit so I was concerned that if I didn't go in to say hi or keep in touch they could think poorly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just be mindful of the frequency if your receiving the paid maternity scheme from the government. I think u can only be in contact with work for a total of 10 days over the 18 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went in once and was on leave for just over a year. I did meet work friends for lunch a few times tho, but away from work. I basically had to drag myself back to work kicking and screaming when mat leave was up and had no desire at all to go in much prior to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went in twice in 12 months. Once to show DS off and the second to resign when my leave was up. My boss kept telling me I wouldn't want to come back and he was right!

In the weeks before DS was born, I was in phone contact, but that was because I had to leave a bit earlier than planned on Dr's orders. So if there was something they needed to know, they rang which was great as I didn't get to finish hand over/training as much as I wanted to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was off for 12 months, I went in once with dd to say hi, went to the eofy dinner (without dd!) and went in to speak to the boss a few weeks before coming back. Apart from that I just kept in contact with my best friend there but not really anyone else...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah, I was off 12 months and came in about 3 times. The first couple were when bub was 3 months and about 6 months, just to visit friends I was close to. Then I came in a few weeks before I re-started to meet new co-workers and supervisors and suss out starting times, re-training etc.

I would think it's a personal thing if you choose to visit while you're off. And probably something to discuss with your company/boss whether you're required to need to do a visit before you go back.