+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any advice on short LP, irregular cycles and how to keep sane very welcome!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself after a few months of lurking, because I think that our fertility journey has reached a point where I need to reach our for some help and advice.

Mr B and I got married in August last year, and I honestly thought I'd be pregnant immediately. Ha!

After well over ten years on the Pill, I gave myself a couple of months to let my cycles sort themselves out as I remembered from pre-Pill days that they were long and irregular. Since then my cycles have been 35, 44, 36 and 31 days, and this cycle I am now on CD 42. I started temping in November and know that I have only Od twice since then (using BBT and CM) - and not at all this cycle.

A US on 2 Feb showed a 12mm follicle that the sonographer told me would be ready in a week. That was more than three weeks ago and so far no ewcm, no temp rise, no sore boobs .. and two BFNs.

I know my LP is short - ten days at the most and 8-10 on average (and 6 on one cycle depending on where you start counting my period from). I suspect this is really our problem.

The US confirmed no PCO, and I have had blood tests (no results yet) for hormonal issues. Mr B is off next week to get his part of the testing done *ahem*.

So there we are. I am preparing for Vit B6 and progesterone to help my LP if that's what my doctor recommends, and maybe Clomid. I am not despairing but this is not at all what I had imagined. I am finally writing this post so I can talk with you all (and not continually go on to the small number of IRL friends who might understand this!). I hope I can ask questions of you and maybe offer some support to you in return.

Any advice on short LP, irregular cycles and how to keep sane very welcome!

Looking forward to 'meeting' you all

Rachel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have a look into taking Vitex tablets, they help with regulation of luteal phases and menstral cycles. "Vitex does not contain hormones itself, however it has a unique ability to affect the regulation of human hormones via actions upon the pituitary gland. It has been shown to regulate the production and release of luteinizing hormone and prolactin in particular, which in turn affects ovarian follicle function and increases progesterone production. Vitex is perhaps the most widely used herb for female reproductive problems."It can be purchased at most health food shops.
    Last edited by ThreePeasPlease; 26-02-2012 at 21:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ElastiGirl View Post
    Have a look into taking Vitex tablets, they help with regulation of luteal phases and menstral cycles. "Vitex does not contain hormones itself, however it has a unique ability to affect the regulation of human hormones via actions upon the pituitary gland. It has been shown to regulate the production and release of luteinizing hormone and prolactin in particular, which in turn affects ovarian follicle function and increases progesterone production. Vitex is perhaps the most widely used herb for female reproductive problems."It can be purchased at most health food shops.
    Thank you ElastiGirl! I'll check it out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MrsRB

Sorry, I don't have any advice but just wanted to stop by and say hello and say you are not alone!

We are already blessed to have a DS naturally, so after a lovely pregnancy and gorgeous baby we decided to start trying straight after I stopped BF (at 4 months)...and then it got strange, I didn't get my period back (very regular pre baby)...GP tested all my hormones which where on the low side (pre puberty type low) and he suggested wild yam cream to help bring period back (worth giving a go)...it didn't for us though and here we are 2.5 years later and still not getting a period, 5 clomid cycles later (which I would get my period on day 21 so maybe short LP?), 2 IVF cycles later all without a BFP...we are of to see our FS on Friday for some genetic preimplantation results and in the meantime I've started taking Vitex as well and we are back on Clomid again results on Friday pending but this time more monitoring because maybe I ovulatate on D7 and therefore getting period on D21 is ok? Or maybe I need more progestrone support? Also hitting the gym big time as our FS said he couldn't say I had PCOS as you need to have 2 of the 3 following ~ the cysts on ovaries, high testorone, and missing period and I only have one of these symtoms but he did say that how they diagnoise PCOS changes every few years so I could very well have it but he can't 'say' it as such...looking at our own research though I certainly seem to have most symtoms ~ pimples if I get them on my chin, black hair under my chin (gross sorry), generally more hairy then other ladies etc etc anyway worth losing 10 kg and seeing if it makes a difference...

When do you get your BT results for your homones back?

Good luck and I hope MrB survives the ordeal

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttercup80 For This Useful Post:

MrsRB  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Buttercup80,

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble this time, but lovely to know you've got DS to cuddle in the meantime

I hear you on the symptoms ... Not TNI at all! I've also noticed black hairs under my chin and jaw, which I think came before I went off the Pill but are definitely more obvious now.

I got my BT results yesterday - low platelets so re-test in a month, and a mild Vit D deficiency (obviously I need a holiday somewhere sunny!). My dr said that of two hormones that might indicate PCOS, one was fine and the other was mildly maybe, but because my US was clear, she's not worried.  My husband's results from his 'special test' are still coming, so we'll take it from there.

And I think I have Od - it's CD46!! Sone ewcm from CD43 and then two temp rises in a row. Ewxm appeared that day before DH's test ... And youre meant to abstain 2-5 days before  Irony!

I am not sure whether it's even worth BDing because surely my endometrium is so old now it won't be capable of sustaining implantation, or will shed soon anyway.

Oh well, we'll see. Best if luck to you with your FS appointment and tests on Friday. Please let me know how you go

xRachel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi MrsRB! im sorry i cant offer you any advice, i just wanted to wish you and DH the best of luck!! if you need to pump up your vitamin D i strongly recommend fiji (i've been here for nearly 5 weeks now and will be until june/july!) im sure its amped my vit d levels and i know it's done wonders for my stress levels haha.
    please let us know how MrB's test results go, i have my fingers crossed for you both.
    i do hear you on the short LP concerns though. i had implanon removed in october, since then i've had 28, 52, 38 and now a 25 day cycle! im planning on trying OPKs (ICs bought on ebay, fertility2family) to try and pin point in my crazy cycle when i am actually Oing so i can determine how short my LP is and go from there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mrstuilawa

Wow! A 56 day cycle! It's so frustrating isn't it; I guess I'm on track for the same this cycle. Hope yours even out soon too.

I suspect Mr B's tests will be fine but it would be quite interesting to know. Thankfully he's not one of those guys who would take low sperm/motility as a personal affront to his masculine dignity!

And I will definitely pass on your recommendation for Vit D ... We might just need a sunny holiday somewhere!!

x
    Ps please forgive all the typos; I am writing one handed on an iPhone on strain with a coffee!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MrsRB

Just got back from the FS and the genetic tests he wanted to run have come back all clear thank goodness. We also did a scan and at D25 my lining is thin (no great shock there) so we are all set to commence our clomid cycle tomorrow , DH and I are pretty excited about this as the clinic will monitor not my local ultrasound clinic like last time (who were horrified they had to do an internal scan, I was embarrassed until they were) so fingers crossed it works for us this time.

What does the low platelet signify? Did she say? Isn't it ironic, trying so hard to get it right to get pregnant and you o'd when you hubby couldn't get on the job! How annoying!! My fingers are crossed that his results come back all clear but its good that he'll take it in his stride anyway

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mrsrb - a bit of rest and relaxation might be just what you need! the female reproductive system is an amazing yet confusing and frustrating thing isnt it! AFM i am thoroughly confused - AF Arived 2.5 days ago and is now basically gone! it usually lasts 5 -6 days for me so i have no idea what games my body is playing. and im still getting mild cramps even though theres barely any bleeding (sorry for the tmi). lucky your DH will take the results (fingers crossed theyre good ones!!) in his stride. i dont think my DH would be as cooperative haha.
    buttercup i just wanted to say good luck with your clomid cycle! i cant believe your local clinic were horrifed at having to do an internal, it's part of their job! it's not a nice experience but it would be even worse if they were like that! when i was 18 i had to have one done (for appendicitis) and it was a male doing it, most awkward experience ever. He says to me do you want to put it in or should i? horrified me says well your hand is going to be there anyway you may as well do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MrsRB how are you travelling?

mrstuilawa how are the tropics treating you? Thanks so much for the well wishes. We are CD11 tomorrow and off to our Fertility clinic for our first scan, I have all my fingers crossed that we have a follicle growing nicely there how are you going?