+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2.5yr old sudden aversion to going to bed at night

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone had experienced the same and could advise on what is going on or how to fix it...

I have a 2.5yo who has for the most part always gone down easily at night, even been happy about it even though she'd occasionally try to stay up later. Over the last week she is suddenly getting very upset about going to bed, bottom lip coming out, screaming/crying to come back out, very unlike her. If I let her go she will fall asleep within about 5mins but if she happens to wake thru the night the same thing happens and she screams again as she does not want to get back into her bed. Can't deal with the night waking tantrums as I'm 6mths pregnant and already up every 2hrs or so going to the loo! Hubby is a crap sleeper too so if he wakes up with her screaming he can't get back to sleep.

This came on very suddenly and is very out of character for her. Whilst I know other parents have worse problems, this is driving us nuts as she already goes to bed late as it is (8-8.30) and all this means that she's getting to bed even later and hence my night time relax time is minimal. I need my me-time!!

She is still in a cot and has a day sleep most days which she goes down without too much trouble. Just don't know what's happening with the night sleeps. She doesn't say she's scared or anything so don't think it's monsters or scared of the dark....

Can anyone help???

M

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is she pulling at her ears or flinch or pull away if you touch them? DD (2yo) is a good sleeper but we had a few random bad nights for what seemed like no apparent reason. It's stopped thank heavens but she is now complaining its sore and won't let us touch them. Just a thought for you, hope it passes quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both our dd & ds had trouble going to bed alone from around 21 months onward for around 6 months. We used to lay on the floor in their rooms until they went to sleep. No eye contact- pretending to ne asleep. Leave a light on outside the room, and let them come in to your bed when they wake during the night - this, contrary to popular comment, will not make a rod for your back. It will help all of you get more sleep. Maybe its time for a big bed too? When ds was born, dd was 22 months old, he stayed in our room in his bassinette for his first 5 weeks, then he started waking dd at night, and us, with all his snuffling and breathing. So we moved him to the lounge room next door to our room, and brought dd's bed into our room so that dp could jusr verbally reassure her while i fed/ settled ds.She went bsck to her own room when ds was about 5 months old and he went into his room in the cot.Shes 4 now & he's 2. Some nights we have ds in bed with us, some nights we have both of them. We get more sleep just giving them the company they crave and giving in. It works for us. Good luck!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    no advice but we are having similar problems!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I allowed her to come into our bed last night when she woke at 4am after trying to put her back into her cot where she laid wide awake even though I laid on the floor next to her pretending to sleep for 15mins. She went straight back to sleep in our bed and stayed there till 8am giving us all a much better night sleep than arguing with her so might try giving in to her in the mornings for a little while and hope she gets over it!

I'm having problems with her wanting me at swimming too where she's always loved swimming class, crying and not participating. I'm thinking that it's got to be due to my pregnancy even though she loves my belly and kisses, hugs and tickles the baby... fingers crossed she moves on soon!