+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default preschools and primary schools in Darwin region?

Hi all,
    I might move to Darwin in couple of months, with my husband and 2 children (3 and 1 year old). Its a big step as I have never been in Darwin before but it seems like a great and special place to live.
    My 3 year old boy is attending a great pre-school at the moment and Im looking for suggestions/recommendations on great pre-schools and primary schools in the Darwin region.
    Also, what are nice family friendly suburbs to live in?
    I hope to hear from you!
    Thanks so much for all your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! I live in Darwin. In fact I was born here. Absolutely love it.

Most of the primary schools and pre schools are really good in the northern suburbs. Jingili and Anula are wonderful suburbs, both with excellent schools and parks etc. there are a few suburbs I would stay well away from but I don't want to offend anyone on here in case they live there. Maybe you can PM me if you want more details.

Without knowing what your price range is for housing etc I can't really comment on the best places to live if you know what I mean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much for your reply!
    Would love to talk more, and send you a personal message but not sure if you got is.
    If not, please let me know.
    Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to message but I think you have to have a certain number of posts before you can receive and send PMs.

Are you looking to buy or rent? If you give me an idea of what you're looking to spend i'll let you know the nice suburbs in that price range. We have a few dodgy suburbs here, like everywhere else I guess lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much! Thats very kind of you, and very helpful!
    Were looking to buy, but if that doesnt work than were more than happy to rent, but buying is first preference.
    Our price range would be around 700k.
    We prefer a green suburb not too far from the cbd, with young families and a good school thats close by.
    We thought of Nightcliff, Jingili, Anula, Moil, Leanyer, Nakara and Wanguri.
    What do you think of those suburbs?
    And how about
    Coconut Grove, Rapid Creek, Fannie Bay, Woolner, Lyons, Tiwi?
    Those last suburbs dont have a local school in their suburb. Im not sure if its easy to get into a school in another suburb.
    Thanks again for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are all really lovely suburbs. At least with your price range you will have a bit to choose from. The only suburb I would steer away from is coconut grove. I know there are some nice streets there, but one half of that suburb is very dodgy. A lot of druggy houses.

Lyons is a new suburb and is very lovely. Wanguri school is in the next suburb over, so less than a 2 min drive. Rapid creek and night cliff are lovely too. They are quite old suburbs but there are some lovely houses and streets there and it's so close to the night cliff foreshore which is beautiful.

Also, tiwi has some nice houses and streets too, but some parts of it are a bit feral.

Fannie bay is one of the fancier suburbs, but just stay away from anywhere near kurringal flats. Bad bad place with lots of druggos. There used to be a few of those flats but they knocked most of them down. I think there is only one left. But the people in them do nothing but cause trouble for neighboring houses. I had a friend who lived near by. She woke up to people in her yard all the time. Not so good for kids.

Only other suburbs I would stay away from is karama and malak. Again, some beautiful streets, and half the suburb is probably ok, but they have a lot of problems with little thugs running around bashing people.

Woodleigh gardens is incorporated into leaner and that's nice too. It's the newer side of Leanyer.

Schools here are based on zones, and they now have feeder schools when it comes to middle school and high school. So as long ad you are in a close suburb it should be fine to get them into a close by school Your little ones are probably too young for that now, but that's something to think about.

I'll see if I can find the info on the zones for schools.

Hope I didn't ramble on too much. I just know what it's like to move into a suburb only to find its horrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so so much for your help! Has been very useful!
    many thanks, xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lonnie,
    when does your DS turn 4 you might find he wont be in preschool yet, which is like the equivalent of Kindy in qld, they are all different up here some schools do a mid year intake depending on when the child turns 4,
    also majority of preschools i have found do 4-5 half days this could be just 2 or 3 hours a day rather then the rotating 2-3 day weeks in qld, some do do the full days but most i have found just do halves,
    if your son isnt old enough for preschool up here yet, they have a wonderful 3yr old kindy in rapid creek,
    and you can book in for a few session there my son goes for 2x3 hour blocks in the week and then spends the rest of the week asking to go back.
    personally it dosnt seem like enough for my son and im dreading half days next year when i know he would be better off with 2-3 full days.
    otherwise darwin is a really great place for kids and coming in to the dry season it should be really great weather too

Maximum

i have no idea why i thought you said you live in qld sorry im not sure where you live but this info still might be relevant to you so ill leave the post as is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thansk very much for your post Maximum!
    Altho were not in Qld (were actually in Newcastle at the moment) it is very helpful.
    My son doesnt turn 4 till November which prob means he wont start
    preschool in Darwin till next year . And I noticed the half days too. Seems bit weird to me too. Thats different from nsw. He goes 2 whole days (6 hrs) at the moment.
    Is it easy to get your child into kindy/preschool/school in a different suburb from where you are living? Its all based on zones here in NSW and you have to apply if you want to get into a school thats in a different zone. Depending on how many kids are in the zone it might be difficult to get into.
    Are there (pre)schools we should avoid?
    Thanks very much girls! All help is very welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know they always used to do the half days here but there is a lady at my work and her daughter just started preschool and she does 2 full days a week. So maybe some places are changing?

There is a preschool in Leanyer, thats joined to a daycare. It's marraya daycare or something like that. My niece goes to the crèche there. They do half day for the preschool, then the preschoolers return to the daycare next door for the rest of the day. The daycare is only for 2yo and above too.

Other than that I don't know much else about preschools here sorry.