+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Dear me. Yes GOVERNMENT FUNDED with TAXPAYER MONEY if we need to spell it out
    I understand the need for spelling it out. Many people's responses don't give thought to the fact that there is another group of people who may resent paying fees at a public school... those who feel that the tax they pay is fee enough.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (26-02-2012),share a book  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Even at our non-govt school, there is a an air of superiority from those who put in time, and some competition about who contributes more time there. Of course, they don't have a kid who would be attached to them if they stay. Not to mention they don't find the school run absolutely traumatic and want to leave before the tears start.
    DD3 was having a lot of problems with school, and one of the alternatives I considered was a private high school. The fees, whilst cheap for a private high school, were expensive to me. IIRC, they were listed as $5500 for the year, +$500 voluntary building fund contribution. I suspected that the voluntary part was not so voluntary and was trying to see how we could manage to come up with the fee she needed. Thankfully she has fitted into public high school so far, so I haven't needed to pay these private fees, but it was something that I was considering heavily towards the end of last year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my sister is a single mumma, she pays either 10 or 20$ per week per child school fee's (cant remember which one), next year she will have 3 children going to school and the year after 4.

that's just to attebd school, nothing else included.

i will have the same when ds is school age as he will attend the same school.

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    So then if they aren't compulsory why do they bill parents? Either don't bill parents at all or make it compulsory so everyone has to pay.

At DD school they aren't billing parents this year. It's in the news letter but no bill is being sent home. If you wish to pay it send/bring the money in. It's $30 per child.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to *Cj* For This Useful Post:

share a book  (26-02-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I understand the need for spelling it out. Many people's responses don't give thought to the fact that there is another group of people who may resent paying fees at a public school... those who feel that the tax they pay is fee enough.
    Good point lol, I think I just see paying tax as the gov stealing our $$

8. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    It still baffles me that people say "Education should be free" - I think what you mean is that 'Education should be fully funded by the taxpayer, and not by the parents who send their children to school". I think what people don't get is that either way, you pay - either a $50 school fee, or a $50 increase in taxes to pay for it.
    I'll take a $50 a year tax increase to ensure that education is fully funded by the govt.

I believe our taxes should pay for education. And healthcare. I've really got to wonder what it is for if it isn't for services that benefit communities, aka taxpayers.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (27-02-2012),naebie  (27-02-2012),share a book  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'll take a $50 a year tax increase to ensure that education is fully funded by the govt.

I believe our taxes should pay for education. And healthcare. I've really got to wonder what it is for if it isn't for services that benefit communities, aka taxpayers.
    I would also be happy if our taxes increased to pay for education for all children. Then if you were really struggling & couldn't afford the school fees, you wouldn't have to feel the shame/ judgement of other parents in the school yard. If you COULD afford to pay the school fees, but chose not to, you would be paying them anyway through your taxes. I agree also with us paying higher taxes & funding health care that way. However, I doubt it would ever happen - imagine the stink people would kick up about tax increases!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand how other parents know whether someone has paid their fees.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-02-2012),Deserama  (27-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do think the voluntary payment should be 'voluntary', but of course if a whole heap of people don't pay it then the school ultimately misses out.
    Ultimately I think public education should be income tested like everything else from the govt, have a health care card = have a minimal charge, don't have a health care card pay the levy (obviously not too much though).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

naebie  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Public education should be free. Period. How much tax you pay should play no bearing. Of course a child shouldn't be excluded bc their parents can't/don't pay the fees. This is Australia where everyone, no matter their socioeconomic status, should get equal access to education. I'm shocked some are saying children should miss out

I read a thread on here years ago about a school that would make little kids stand up the front of the class and humiliate them by telling them they wouldn't be getting their textbooks bc mum and dad didn't pay their ('voluntary') fees. Disgraceful.