+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The government in Australia is supposed to look out for people who don't have the means to support themselves. In the US it's every man for himself (or woman or child) whereas I like our way, no man (or woman or child) left behind.

Every Australian deserves free health care and free education. There is the option of going private with both, but our public systems need to be made and kept entirely free, with the option of donations if people so choose. But to add a compulsory fee will only lead to people missing out entirely. Feel free to move to the US if you prefer that lifestyle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    So all the people who do not pa fees, are buying nintendo systems or getting drunk or stoned.

What a huge assumption.
    I'll give you a few other options...

One parent has a terminal illness or disability.
    Parent has been retrenched and cant get a new job
    Parents own a business that has gone into liquidation
    Parents have to support a sick or disabled child
    Parents cannot get work
    Parents have been evicted
    A parent has died
    They cannot sell their house and the mortgage is killing them
    They are students and cannot afford anything else.
    They are going through a divorce
    single parent who is just surviving.

But hey its way easier to just assume they all spent it on nintendos and plasma's!
    Of COURSE I know, and believe, and agree, that some parents cannot pay their school fees. I am no stranger to financial difficulty, in my life, or in the lives of others. Trust me. You don't need to lecture on the reasons why people cannot afford school fees.

I was referring to people who CAN pay their school fees, but choose not to, because they do not value education, yet they value other things above it. I think that often, we choose what we can afford. I can afford a mortgage, but have not bought a new pair of shoes in 3 years, for example. That is my choice, because I value having my own home, over having new shoes. SOME parents, (NOT ALL!) choose to pay for other things above their child's education, because they value them over education.

Opinionated, I think it's great that you see the value in other children attending excursions, swimming, etc. A few years ago, a guy I know organised a group of people from a church to fundraise for paying for children of parents who couldn't afford it to go on excursions, camps, swimming lessons, etc. We all got together and donated money, and gave our local schools $$ to pay for the extracurriculur activities for those children. I believe it made probably a small difference, but a difference nonetheless, in their lives.

It still baffles me that people say "Education should be free" - I think what you mean is that 'Education should be fully funded by the taxpayer, and not by the parents who send their children to school". I think what people don't get is that either way, you pay - either a $50 school fee, or a $50 increase in taxes to pay for it.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

chubby bunny  (26-02-2012),deville  (27-02-2012),Lucy in the Sky  (26-02-2012),Opinionated  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I cannot believe we are quibbling over who should and shouldn't pay a hundred dollars. Seriously? It is like some form of public school snobbery.

Can you imagine it at the school gate? lol 'Oh did you hear x didn't pay their voluntary contribution? How can she afford to wear her juicy couture tracksuit pants and not pay voluntary contributions? tsk tsk'
    You would laugh over it, if it wasn't so sad.
    Unfortunately that's exactly what does happen, pparticularly in schools where parents are "named and shamed" for not paying.

Our school charges around $250 each child, and it is billed as essential, not voluntary. There is an extra payment to $25 which is called a voluntary levy.
    this year with excursions, fees and camp we will be looking at over $1500 for two kids. Certainly not free that's for sure. And honestly where we are if kids don't pay excursions they simply don't go. There is little charity. My catholic high school did charity a lot better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It goes without saying that when people say it should be free that they mean government funded.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I cannot believe we are quibbling over who should and shouldn't pay a hundred dollars. Seriously? It is like some form of public school snobbery.

Can you imagine it at the school gate? lol 'Oh did you hear x didn't pay their voluntary contribution? How can she afford to wear her juicy couture tracksuit pants and not pay voluntary contributions? tsk tsk'
    You would laugh over it, if it wasn't so sad.
    The car park mafia are cruel.

The policy at my school is if you can't afford to pay your fees, you don't. But you lose your EMA payments when they come in to pay for supplies etc. You can still attend camp and excursions if your fees aren't paid but not if you don't pay for them as they are "extras". Same applies for students who pay fees.
    Last edited by bellalika; 26-02-2012 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not GOVERNMENT funded... TAXPAYER funded.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even at our non-govt school, there is a an air of superiority from those who put in time, and some competition about who contributes more time there. Of course, they don't have a kid who would be attached to them if they stay. Not to mention they don't find the school run absolutely traumatic and want to leave before the tears start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Not GOVERNMENT funded... TAXPAYER funded.
    Dear me. Yes GOVERNMENT FUNDED with TAXPAYER MONEY if we need to spell it out

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (26-02-2012),Deserama  (27-02-2012),Luna Lovegood  (26-02-2012),naebie  (27-02-2012),SassyMummy  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    No I don not pay school fees
    I believe education should be free
    Actually got into a debate today with someone who pays $12 a term for swimming for a grade 1 kid.I would never pay that,its bullsh!t!!!! Its part of a PE lesson.
    The problem is, if the school has its own pool, then swimming lessons are free, but if it does not then the child has to pay.

I really disagree with this disparity but there is little I can do about it. At one school my children attended, the fee charged for swimming was specified as being for the bus. The children were taken to a neighbouring school and given lessons there. I did not pay the bus fee, but instead drove my children from the school to the swimming lesson, and back to the school again. At that school, the bus fee had climbed to $6 per day (return trip) by the time we left the school.

At the school they are currently at, swimming lessons are at a private pool, and the fee covers both the bus and entry. In this case it is $10 per lesson, and I had other commitments so was not in a position to drive them to avoid the bus part of the fee. Thus, I have simply paid the cost even though I disagree with it. (The alternative would be for my children to miss out.) I will however say that these swimming lessons are superior to other school-based swimming lessons. The children are divided by ability and taught in groups of 7-8, whereas at other schools the whole class (25-30 kids) is taught by one PE teacher and perhaps 1-2 parent helpers. So, I enrolled my children in afterschool lessons at the same place, so that they had continuity of instruction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Really? You think that poor people should be even more disadvantaged and not have access to a decent education? It is the governments responsibility to provide education to its people. Honestly, sometimes I wonder what people think the point of a government is. That's awesome that you can afford your fees, but do you really think that those who can't afford it shouldn't attend? Perhaps you should send your children to a private school so you won't encounter these irksome problems.

Well said!!!!!!!!!!! Judgemental people really get my goat sometimes