+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Year 3 at a Catholic school. Public school fees should never be made compulsory.
    So then if they aren't compulsory why do they bill parents? Either don't bill parents at all or make it compulsory so everyone has to pay. Not saying I think public school fees should be compulsory, just don't think some paying and others not is fair at all. My SIL is a single mum of 4 kids and if anyone is struggling its her but she manages to pay the public school fees, I was talking to her on the phone earlier and she is aware the fees aren't compulsory but paying the fees is the right thing to do in her eyes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The local public school here charges a $50 levy for supplies, I don't know exactly what it covers, but students are given the supplies prior to payment. It's technically compulsory but I don't think children are penalised for non payment.

The idea that children should miss out on things due to parents non payment relies on the fact that parents will actually care if their child misses out, as well as them actually having money.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

share a book  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    So then if they aren't compulsory why do they bill parents? Either don't bill parents at all or make it compulsory so everyone has to pay. Not saying I think public school fees should be compulsory, just don't think some paying and others not is fair at all. My SIL is a single mum of 4 kids and if anyone is struggling its her but she manages to pay the public school fees, I was talking to her on the phone earlier and she is aware the fees aren't compulsory but paying the fees is the right thing to do in her eyes.
    Probably to put the idea into parents heads to make a donation to the school, which a voluntary contribution is. To say "You don't have to, but if you want to.." kind of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yeah well if you know a mum that can pay then that proves it right there!

everyone should
    pay, cause she can!

I am seriously shaking my head. If they charge for public schools, our children will suffer. All our children, not just the ones that can afford
    education!

sent from brain to Iphone to BubHub~ a game of chinese whispers.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (26-02-2012),delirium  (26-02-2012),Deserama  (27-02-2012),lambjam  (26-02-2012),LoveLivesHere  (26-02-2012),SassyMummy  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    So she chooses to pay the fees. That doesn't mean everyone can or has to. There are so many families who struggle, then there are families who place no value on education who will never be likely to pay. The fees must remain voluntary to ensure kids have access to a full education despite the financial status of the family.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (26-02-2012),LoveLivesHere  (26-02-2012)

Guest Guest
    I think its not right to squabble amongst each other. Blame the government for its serious lack of funding because that's the real issue and why schools are forced to ask for money in the first place.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (27-02-2012),naebie  (26-02-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Blame the government for its serious lack of funding because that's the real issue and why schools are forced to ask for money in the first place.
    Or blame ourselves for not paying enough tax... Where is the government supposed to find this extra funding? But that's another kettle of fish...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (26-02-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Or blame ourselves for not paying enough tax... Where is the government supposed to find this extra funding? But that's another kettle of fish...
    I don't think it's extra funding, they have the money but are choosing to balance the books or put the money elsewhere. There is no excuse for the lack of funding schools have faced over the years, we pay enough tax but they aren't managing it correctly.
    Look at the Howard years, you can't say they didn't have the money to put in education? Look what's happening now as a result, our schools are worse than ever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I cannot believe we are quibbling over who should and shouldn't pay a hundred dollars. Seriously? It is like some form of public school snobbery.

Can you imagine it at the school gate? lol 'Oh did you hear x didn't pay their voluntary contribution? How can she afford to wear her juicy couture tracksuit pants and not pay voluntary contributions? tsk tsk'
    You would laugh over it, if it wasn't so sad.
    This.
    I'm in so much disbelief over this thread that I can't even muster my usual scathing responses.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-02-2012),lovelymum  (26-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (26-02-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I don't think it's extra funding, they have the money but are choosing to balance the books or put the money elsewhere.
    If they take money from elsewhere to put more into education it will upset a different group of people on a different forum

(Now I'm imagining all the political advisors hopping online and trolling various forums to figure out the budget each year.)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

naebie  (27-02-2012),Night Owl  (26-02-2012)