+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Really? You think that poor people should be even more disadvantaged and not have access to a decent education? It is the governments responsibility to provide education to its people. Honestly, sometimes I wonder what people think the point of a government is. That's awesome that you can afford your fees, but do you really think that those who can't afford it shouldn't attend? Perhaps you should send your children to a private school so you won't encounter these irksome problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummaof4 View Post
    no i dont think the children should miss out.

though yes i think the fees should be paid!! they're $40-$50 per child for a whole year - and the school is happy to arrange payment plans if needed!
    they should be paid!
    That figure is variable, schools can set their own fees.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

share a book  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was on the school board for 2 years, it's a new school and they have a LOT of money in the bank and whilst I was in the board, they would scratch their heads as to what to do with the "voluntary" contributions.

I paid this year due to my daughter nagging me - $250 for one child. But next year I might not as in our case the school doesn't need the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For whilst ever I am in a position to pay the fees I am happy to, for heavens knows the day could come when I can't. If it helps keep the school nice and running well and make sure that all my sons friends can have fun like he is then that's the main thing. Our complete public fee was $855 for the year which is a little steep but if you take out the voluntary contributions then it's only about $350.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Children should not be excluded because of economic disadvantage.
    this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Public education should be free. All children are to be in some form of schooling, it's required, but some parents simply lack the funds to pay for it. Given that a lot of public schools have a strict dress code, have long, expensive book lists and have numerous outings scheduled for children, it's understandable that some people simply cannot afford fees on top.

I think if anyone paying for public school "fees" believes that it's them paying for their child to be educated, I think they're delusional. I imagine that it costs a lot more to educate a child than the $100 you hand over in fees each year... so fees just HELP, not actually PAY FOR your child's education.

So far I have no paid fees yet this year... but I will. I do not have to, but the way I see it, is if I can, it's better I do so that the school can perhaps afford other things that they might otherwise not. These things may benefit my child directly, they may not... but that doesn't really bother me much. I think that if I can afford an extra $100 a year, then it is really a good idea to pay it. I also believe though, that if this is money you simply do not have, then you are well within your rights to not pay it and still expect that your child be allowed to go on trips, outings, etc. These things should not held at ransom until you pay fees.

If people want to hand over large sums of cash for their child's education, then there is the option of private education... but for those who cannot afford it, they should be able to send their child to school free of charge. Absolutely.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

share a book  (26-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    Yes I always pay the school voluntary levy.

No I don't believe that children of parents who cannot afford to pay the levy should miss out in any way.

I do believe that many parents that could afford to pay the levy/levies do not. Our school had a 12% rate of payment of the levy.
    I don't believe it matters how well off people are. Voluntary means everyone who chooses public education has the choice whether to pay or not. No child left behind.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    First up, I didn't mean to sound like a cow about making another thread, I just wanted the other one to be about facts, not ethics or judgements Secondly, I don't have my child in a public school, and pay about $500/term in fees, which will increase next year when she does music as an extra-curricular but through the school.However, I do believe that public education should be free for every child. Even children with parents who will not pay the fees.
    ThisWhen dd starts school she will be going to catholic school so her fees will be compulsory and we of course will be paying If dd was to go to public school I'm not sure if I'd pay then tbh. Public education is suppose to be free. In schools I attended growing up my parents never paid the voulnatary fees. Excursions were normally paid as they arose which we'd always attend and pay for as they were compulsory but attending was an option. I remember my sister missing out on an excursion based on her behaviour that mum decided not to allow her to go. One year I chose not to do swimming In high school elective courses usually had compulsory fees which my parents always paid for againSo do some schools have a compulsory fee at the beginning of the year that you can pay which pays for all future outings and excursions?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I think if anyone paying for public school "fees" believes that it's them paying for their child to be educated, I think they're delusional. I imagine that it costs a lot more to educate a child than the $100 you hand over in fees each year... so fees just HELP, not actually PAY FOR your child's education.
    Exactly. Tax pays for public education, "fees" at a public school are money for jam.

I'm really saddened by some of the responses here. Every child in Australia should have access to an education: uniforms, books, excursions and all. Education is compulsory in our country, and as such the government is required to provide it, free of charge. Those who can afford and wish to pay extra, do so. Those who cannot or do not wish to, do not.

It would pay to consider the real implications of changing that system before getting petty about whether someone pays more or less than you do. And hey, for all you know they may pay more tax than you. Tax that pays for your child's education as well as theirs. In which case perhaps their child should have priority for that extra excursion .

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (27-02-2012),laurea  (26-02-2012),naebie  (26-02-2012),share a book  (26-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I don't believe it matters how well off people are. Voluntary means everyone who chooses public education has the choice whether to pay or not. No child left behind.
    Ah yes, my original post was not entirely clear. I do not believe children of parents who CANNOT, or the children of parents who WILL not pay the levy should miss out in any way.

Then I was stating that I personally believe that the number of parents who choose not to pay the levy do exceed the number of parents who genuinely can not.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

share a book  (26-02-2012)