+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deville View Post
    Oh I don't think that the private schools fund themselves entirely Annabella - I know they get funding from the government.

We will be known as the family that does private education - not holidays every school break - but that's the choice we've made for our kids.
    If all goes well with working from home next term, I will be homeschooling. Regardless of where my child is educated, tax money funds at least part of it.

Ironically the people targeted as non-payers, the ones who drink, smoke and gamble, pay a lot of taxes on those things, so probably assist in a large contribution to schools.

Also, we travel. I believe more can be learnt from travelling and having experiences than from books alone. So we travel. We travel by car mostly, because we can see more that way, but we have travelled by boat, plane and train before, too.

The public schools near us are not suitable for my dd who is on the Autism spectrum, so I pay for her to attend a non-govt school. I don't contribute extras. That's my choice. Other people give monetary donations, that's their choice. They can afford it, I can't.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    I think every child should be given the same amount of money per head for education, regardless of which school they attend, or what their parents earn.
    I agree 100% with this. I also think it should come from the same pool of funding, unlike the current system where state schools are primarily funded by the state governments and private schools are primarily funded by the federal government.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post

Also, we travel. I believe more can be learnt from travelling and having experiences than from books alone. So we travel. We travel by car mostly, because we can see more that way, but we have travelled by boat, plane and train before, too.
    absolutely!! absolutely!!

i'd rather take my kids overseas (which we do each year) to places where they learn about life. that is why they are in public school, not private (among other reasons....)
    Last edited by halloweendee; 27-02-2012 at 11:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I never get this "my tax money!" nonsense. If you don't like where tax dollars are being spent, petition to have things change. Don't just complain and whinge about those who benefit from where the government decides to spend the money earnt from taxes.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (27-02-2012),Deserama  (27-02-2012),share a book  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exactly Sassy. What goes into my account is my money and what comes out in tax before it hits my account is not mine, but the givernment's. What I pay at the bowser is mostly tax. We pay tax when we do the groceries. Just look at how much GST is with things, but I look at the bill and pay it, not break it down. My daughter is learning about money so I have taken more notice lately. That tax is for the givernment. It's not mine. It has not been stolen from me and given to some other individual. It is not mine to choose what to pay for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I never get this "my tax money!" nonsense. If you don't like where tax dollars are being spent, petition to have things change. Don't just complain and whinge about those who benefit from where the government decides to spend the money earnt from taxes.
    I only half agree. Petition for change for sure. But I think every tax paying person has a right to complain and have an opinion on where taxes get spent. Yes I think we should all take interest in that as it is "our" money. Only I would find it deeply disturbing if people did not support their taxes going to educating children, regardleSs of their families income.. I personally find it really confusing how the state/private school funding is allocated. Depending what you read, its hard to tell who gets more

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    People usually only complain about where they're paying tax when it helps someone out who is financially lacking. I've never heard anyone say, "I can't believe my tax money is paying for this new bridge." Instead, they say, "I don't want my hard-earned tax money going towards immigants/single mothers/school fees for poor kids."

It's very arrogant and selfish. It's always directed at hte people who are recieving help as the result of money recieved via taxes... people seem to only complain about where "their" tax money is spent when it involves someone else getting a slightly better deal at life. It's quite pathetic.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (27-02-2012),Deserama  (27-02-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-02-2012),naebie  (27-02-2012),RunningWithScissors  (27-02-2012),share a book  (27-02-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    People usually only complain about where they're paying tax when it helps someone out who is financially lacking. I've never heard anyone say, "I can't believe my tax money is paying for this new bridge." Instead, they say, "I don't want my hard-earned tax money going towards immigants/single mothers/school fees for poor kids."

It's very arrogant and selfish. It's always directed at hte people who are recieving help as the result of money recieved via taxes... people seem to only complain about where "their" tax money is spent when it involves someone else getting a slightly better deal at life. It's quite pathetic.
    Who says that? Was that said in this thread? Because I don't ever hear that from anyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Who says that? Was that said in this thread? Because I don't ever hear that from anyone
    On BH all the time. You obviously haven't been into some of the more... um... heated topics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is it voluntary in all states? We just receive a bill and pay them within the first few weeks of the school year, did not know they are voluntary? Our school is only $270 for the year anyway, and excursion cost isn't much- about $60. What are the fees in the eastern states? . Yes I believe all kids have the right to an education, but I don't see the harm in paying the couple of hundred when it covers the whole year. CHILD CARE FEES? Now that is another story, $70+ a day .