+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deville View Post
    okay ... so I don't have any kids in school yet ...

BUT ...

Lemme understand this - I am choosing to put my kids into private education (as the public schools in my area always make the news for bullying, fighting and low scores) - have no issue of paying for my child's education but in the meantime, my taxes pay for the education of other people's kids and they feel they don't need to contribute at all?? (And I"m referring to the people who don't want to contribute not for budgetary or any other factor purely than 'nuh - just don't wanna')

So really with the mindset of tax payers fund education - I'll be contributing to not only MY child's education but also to someone else's who doesn't think they have to contribute at all??? Even though it's a system I won't be using ....

I too totally understand and hope I'm not in a position where sometimes a contribution can't be made but I have to agree with the posters that 'if they can contribute - they should'.

I hate seeing any kid missing out but to me I liken it to 'I've got no money' yet they have a cigarette hanging from their mouth. They have money - they just choose to prioritize other things over their kids.

The reason I'm choosing for private (other than what I outlined at the beginning) is that I place a big importance on education.
    I choose a non-govt school for my child, too, and honestly our taxes go to all health and all education. You and I and every other Australian puts money, by way of taxes, towards public schools, private schools, and Catholic schools.

Your fees don't fund your child's full education, the govt, using tax payer money, makes up the difference.

"rich guys driving big SUVs while kids are starving in the streets, n po one cares, no one likes to share, I guess life's unfair" I really like that, it describes society so well

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try not to think of your taxes as paying for some random child's education or of your money as paying for your own child.

Think of it this way... we live in a society, and that society needs to be educated. You need access to lawyers, doctors, builders, teachers, nurses, public servants, police officers... every one of us needs everyone else around us to be educated. Lack of education is a liability to us all as a society, not just to our own little nuclear family.

Start to limit education to only those who can afford it and we all lose.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (27-02-2012),Deserama  (27-02-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-02-2012),naebie  (27-02-2012),share a book  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Taxes are used to educate the people who will be in charge of us when we are in nursing homes, needing hip replacements and they will be deciding whether to pay us a pension..

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (27-02-2012),lambjam  (27-02-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-02-2012),naebie  (27-02-2012),SassyMummy  (27-02-2012),share a book  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree Read A Book - society is just strange ... wasn't it Andrew Denton who used to say 'Society's to blame' ???

It was a Catholic Parish in Goulburn (don't ask me what year) had one of the first private schools where people cracked it about them getting funding from the government - so they said 'righty-o' and shut the doors the public schools couldn't cope with the influx of those kids being shifted to their grounds for education. (I know I'm talking about two different things - as in private education getting government funding as opposed to a levy) but I'm a bit of a factoid fan.

I usually don't have an issue with how my 'tax contribution' is spent but I could open a whole new can of worms and start on 'why do people who have made a lifestyle choice such as smoking' get health access when their lungs go to the pack. (And that just popped into my head coz I was at the midwives appt when you see people in their hospital gowns puffing away under the 'no smoking on the grounds')

What about meth clinics ... something I don't use - yet - my 'contributions' to the health system cover that.

But - I was here to just say about education contributions ... not trying to start anything else LOL!!

Have a great day and yes ... I agree with Andrew ... society is to blame

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Most private schools receive government (with the obligatory aka taxpayers) funding as well as fees from parents. So technically the tax the parents pay on those cigarettes could be paying for part of someone's private education

Agree with lambjam - I don't want to live in a country where there are segments of society that are uneducated. That affects everybody. We need to think outside the square. Not only will we have less doctors, teachers etc but think about crime rates and so on

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (27-02-2012),naebie  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Deville, don't for a moment think that your taxes don't contribute to private school education, because private schools receive a lot of govt funding too. You should feel lucky you can afford to send your children private, a lot of people value education but have to send their kids to a public school because its all they can afford.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Try not to think of your taxes as paying for some random child's education or of your money as paying for your own child.

Think of it this way... we live in a society, and that society needs to be educated. You need access to lawyers, doctors, builders, teachers, nurses, public servants, police officers... every one of us needs everyone else around us to be educated. Lack of education is a liability to us all as a society, not just to our own little nuclear family.

Start to limit education to only those who can afford it and we all lose.

Oh I know taxes covers everything as a whole - and I too believe there needs to be a bigger focus on education and skills - but I'm trying to confuse the two how education is funded as opposed to the original question being about contributions to levies.

Again - not trying to start something else - but I too believe it comes down to the parents or carers of children to encourage and continue education - not just from 9am to 3pm when the teachers are being paid to do their job - like reading to your child, making sure they do homework, that sort of stuff.

Bah - every time I go to reply I end up making little spin offs - sorry everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Deville, don't for a moment think that your taxes don't contribute to private school education, because private schools receive a lot of govt funding too. You should feel lucky you can afford to send your children private, a lot of people value education but have to send their kids to a public school because its all they can afford.

Oh I don't think that the private schools fund themselves entirely Annabella - I know they get funding from the government.

We will be known as the family that does private education - not holidays every school break - but that's the choice we've made for our kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The school fees for the Public school here are definitely compulsory. No payment - no school.

Even if they weren't compulsory i'd still happily pay them. If you can afford to pay them, even if it means putting a few dollars aside here and there, then you should absolutely pay the fees in my opinion. If you are in the unfortunate position of financial hardship and are unable to afford the fees, then I see no problem.

I'm not sure what it's like in other states/territories, but we have the Student Assistance Scheme where if you are a low income earner, then you don't need to pay school fees, it's covered by the government...or something, not sure how it works exactly as it's not applicable to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think every child should be given the same amount of money per head for education, regardless of which school they attend, or what their parents earn.

Much the same as hospitals. Everyone needs to be treated equally. There was a thread not long ago about PHI and not one person said that people well off should be made to pay for treatment simply because they can. It was pretty much agreed that everyone should be entitled to health care.

I think the same should apply to education.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (27-02-2012),delirium  (27-02-2012),deville  (27-02-2012),lambjam  (27-02-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-02-2012),naebie  (27-02-2012),share a book  (27-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (27-02-2012)