+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Wow annabella $700 per child that's crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    In some schools, parents on the committee know how many paid and how many haven't, then often make assumptions. Single mum in tight clothes having a cigarette by the car, nah, she has't paid. Family from that houso area who walk the kids to school with no shoes on, nah they wouldn't have paid, you know the 'judge a book by the cover' type of rediculous assumptions?
    Ugh. Honestly, stuff like this is why I'm not really in to hanging out with other mothers (unless they are already my friends). I loathe this mentality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes, and someone else said over $800 per child! People don't realise the difference. I had no idea, having only had dealings with 1 school in a very poor area. I went through the Catholic system, have worked in Catholic schools, and send dd to a Catholic school so really haven't had anything to do with public school fees.

It's fine to say families can afford $100/year, although not everyone can, but what about those who pay $700 or $800 per child each year. I know our school charges less than $200/year for the second child, then $80 for the 3rd, and any others are free and that's in a Catholic school. It should never be cheaper at non-government schools than in government schools.

Also I get a bit tired of people saying they know someone on a very low income, struggling to survive, who still pays fees. That's fine, good on them for their financial contribution they chose to give. There are loads of others who can't, then there are the ones who really do feel the need to buy wine instead of paying fees. The kids have no control over that. None. They should not be further disadvantaged by not being able to attend school activities.

I also don't agree with making the uniform compulsory at a public school. Plain shirt in the school colour, fine, but not the actual uniform.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is sad that some children do miss out, When I was in high school( public) one of my friends could not collect her yr book at the end of grade 12 becuase her parents had not paid the so called voluntary fee. My mum was there paying my last instalment and just paid this girls fee's because my mum knew her families circumstances and my mum felt sorry for this girl.

Some families just can not afford these fee's and I think its sad when children have to miss out.

Like a pp said KINDNESS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I went to catholic school , we stopped paying fees.
    My mum had ovarian cancer and my stepdad was her carer...so no money.

The school called us in and asked us to just put lunch orders in with no money and they would work it out.
    They also sent us to the uniform shop and outfitted me and my sister for the year.

Then when my mum was in hospital they organised a ski trip. We chose 10 friends and they used the school bus and we all went away.

This was a systemic school which cost about $1000 a year!
    awesome place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Ugh. Honestly, stuff like this is why I'm not really in to hanging out with other mothers (unless they are already my friends). I loathe this mentality.
    I know what you mean.

At our P&c meeting we do get told the percentage of paid fees...but thats the whole school ...no one has ANY idea who has and who hasn't paid and it has never been discussed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'll take a $50 a year tax increase to ensure that education is fully funded by the govt.

I believe our taxes should pay for education. And healthcare. I've really got to wonder what it is for if it isn't for services that benefit communities, aka taxpayers.
    Even if they increased tax to account for this they would STILL have voluntary contributions and people will STILL be judged for not paying them.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

naebie  (27-02-2012),share a book  (27-02-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Even if they increased tax to account for this they would STILL have voluntary contributions and people will STILL be judged for not paying them.
    This is true. Consider private schools; they charge fees and most still encourage voluntary contributions.

And that's the key word here: voluntary. As long as the contributions are voluntary, no-one should be complaining. If others don't pay and you don't feel it's fair, then don't pay. Not the way I would deal with it, but then again I don't think "fairness" is working against me when I can afford something and someone else can't.

Those of you who tell stories of non-voluntary contributions, I am appalled. Maybe these schools need to be reported to the minister and publicly named and shamed.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-02-2012),Deserama  (27-02-2012),naebie  (27-02-2012),share a book  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I know! I changed from the other school because the kinder is attached to the smaller one, and I had friends with kids at the smaller one, and I feel that a smaller school suits my kids better. I was shocked when it came to paying the school fees (and at the same time had to buy new uniforms!). Its odd that there is such a big dfference, and we are an average income area, not low income but now really expensive either. I think its sad they obviously don't get the funding they need from the govt.

The voluntary fee is $300 (for Prep-Yr 4, it goes up for 5 & 6), then the rest is made up of the $50 stationary pack, a million levies, inc excursion levy, and the $80 for swimming.

I know you can get some sort of allowance if you have a Health Care Card but it is still a LOT of money for someone on a low (or even average) income. The principle and staff are very understanding though, I'm pretty sure if you couldn't pay they would try to make sure your child didn't miss out on excursions etc.

Also they are very relaxed about the uniform- any sort of closed in shoes are fine, a plain polo shirt in the school colour and plain shorts/leggings/skirt/skort whatever in the other colour. Which is how I think it should be.

So definitely a lot more than a Nintendo DS!

Thanks
    Reviews
    okay ... so I don't have any kids in school yet ...

BUT ...

Lemme understand this - I am choosing to put my kids into private education (as the public schools in my area always make the news for bullying, fighting and low scores) - have no issue of paying for my child's education but in the meantime, my taxes pay for the education of other people's kids and they feel they don't need to contribute at all?? (And I"m referring to the people who don't want to contribute not for budgetary or any other factor purely than 'nuh - just don't wanna')

So really with the mindset of tax payers fund education - I'll be contributing to not only MY child's education but also to someone else's who doesn't think they have to contribute at all??? Even though it's a system I won't be using ....

I too totally understand and hope I'm not in a position where sometimes a contribution can't be made but I have to agree with the posters that 'if they can contribute - they should'.

I hate seeing any kid missing out but to me I liken it to 'I've got no money' yet they have a cigarette hanging from their mouth. They have money - they just choose to prioritize other things over their kids.

The reason I'm choosing for private (other than what I outlined at the beginning) is that I place a big importance on education.