+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 154
  1. #91
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I should really get the cash out and pay DS1's don't know why they don't do eftpos!

  2. #92
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Public education should be free. Period. How much tax you pay should play no bearing.
    I think people are only mentioning tax because it is tax that funds education; increasing tax would be an alternative way to increase funding, rather than relying on voluntary contributions.

    So the amount of tax we pay does have a bearing, as it determines the size of the pool that education can draw from. The amount of tax we pay can also colour our view of what we feel we're entitled to; pay the tax, reap the rewards of "free" education, health etc.

    I don't think anyone was suggesting that it you pay more tax you should be personally entitled to more from your education.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    Cinderella82  (27-02-2012)

  4. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,838
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Maybe I read it wrong but someone said they pay lots of tax therefore it should be free? It should be free for everyone

  5. #94
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Maybe I read it wrong but someone said they pay lots of tax therefore it should be free? It should be free for everyone
    At one point I suggested it could be a consideration for some people when deciding not to pay voluntary fees; that they had already paid their dues in tax.

  6. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,602
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,044
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Maybe I read it wrong but someone said they pay lots of tax therefore it should be free? It should be free for everyone
    I'm kinda agreeing with that

    Pay lots of tax = fee shouldn't be compulsory.

    Pay very little or no tax = fee shouldn't be compulsory.



    But still it's great if those who can and do contribute additionally do.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (26-02-2012)

  8. #96
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I don't understand how other parents know whether someone has paid their fees.
    In some schools, parents on the committee know how many paid and how many haven't, then often make assumptions. Single mum in tight clothes having a cigarette by the car, nah, she has't paid. Family from that houso area who walk the kids to school with no shoes on, nah they wouldn't have paid, you know the 'judge a book by the cover' type of rediculous assumptions?

  9. #97
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,222
    Thanks
    1,146
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i've always* paid the voluntary fees at my son's public school. i know some parents there can't afford it and it doesn't bother me. i know some parents can afford it but choose not to and it doesn't bother me either.


    *having said that, there are a LOT of parents this year choosing NOT to pay fees, as we are not happy with the principal. since getting the boot from his previous school, he has been running our school into the ground. hence parents are pulling children out, not paying voluntary fees and lodging a petition with the education dept. so far this year, i have not paid.

  10. #98
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,095
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked
    747
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    No I don not pay school fees
    I believe education should be free
    Actually got into a debate today with someone who pays $12 a term for swimming for a grade 1 kid.I would never pay that,its bullsh!t!!!! Its part of a PE lesson.
    Like you, I disagree with such fees and believe that they should not be charged to the child (or parent by proxy). However the only option is to pay the fees or have your child miss out. For example, this year DD4 has joined the school band - and has had to pay $120 for the priviledge. I really think that there shouldn't be a charge, but that is the way it is. So I either had to pay the fee or DD4 misses out on being in the band, which she desperately wants to be.

  11. #99
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,125
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked
    1,694
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's ok the way it is now, if you can/want to pay- do so, if you can't, don't. I do expect eduction should be free, as share-a-book said, you can't make attendance compulsory if fees are compulsory because not everyone can pay them. However I think it's good if parents can CHOOSE to contribute financially because it benefits the school. I Think it's sad we need to tho.

    At my kids' school our fees were almost $700 each child, and that's not including the $300 camp for our grade 4 child. This is the local public school. It has an ok reputation but by no means a great one, they struggle to fill enrolments each year. The other public primary school in the next Suburb with twice as many students has an amazing reputation and the fees are $200 a year. I assume they get more funding due to more students?

    I am happy to pay while we can but I'll have 5 kids at school in 5 years and we won't be able to afford that.

  12. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked
    24
    Reviews
    0
    Children shouldn't miss out no matter what.


 

Similar Threads

  1. How much are your PRIVATE school fees?
    By Ishtyban in forum General Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 21-11-2014, 16:53
  2. School fees now too high
    By share a book in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 27-04-2012, 15:24
  3. School fees - Compulsory or not?
    By share a book in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 16-03-2012, 18:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
The Health Hub & Glowing Expectations
Glowing Expectations is conveniently located at The Health Hub in Darlinghurst. We offer pre & post natal personal training, small group pregnancy exercise classes, flexible mums & bubs sessions, massage, & naturopathy in our air-conditioned studio.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!