+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I should really get the cash out and pay DS1's don't know why they don't do eftpos!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Public education should be free. Period. How much tax you pay should play no bearing.
    I think people are only mentioning tax because it is tax that funds education; increasing tax would be an alternative way to increase funding, rather than relying on voluntary contributions.

So the amount of tax we pay does have a bearing, as it determines the size of the pool that education can draw from. The amount of tax we pay can also colour our view of what we feel we're entitled to; pay the tax, reap the rewards of "free" education, health etc.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that it you pay more tax you should be personally entitled to more from your education.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Maybe I read it wrong but someone said they pay lots of tax therefore it should be free? It should be free for everyone

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe I read it wrong but someone said they pay lots of tax therefore it should be free? It should be free for everyone
    At one point I suggested it could be a consideration for some people when deciding not to pay voluntary fees; that they had already paid their dues in tax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm kinda agreeing with that

Pay lots of tax = fee shouldn't be compulsory.

Pay very little or no tax = fee shouldn't be compulsory.

But still it's great if those who can and do contribute additionally do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I don't understand how other parents know whether someone has paid their fees.
    In some schools, parents on the committee know how many paid and how many haven't, then often make assumptions. Single mum in tight clothes having a cigarette by the car, nah, she has't paid. Family from that houso area who walk the kids to school with no shoes on, nah they wouldn't have paid, you know the 'judge a book by the cover' type of rediculous assumptions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i've always* paid the voluntary fees at my son's public school. i know some parents there can't afford it and it doesn't bother me. i know some parents can afford it but choose not to and it doesn't bother me either.

*having said that, there are a LOT of parents this year choosing NOT to pay fees, as we are not happy with the principal. since getting the boot from his previous school, he has been running our school into the ground. hence parents are pulling children out, not paying voluntary fees and lodging a petition with the education dept. so far this year, i have not paid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    No I don not pay school fees
    I believe education should be free
    Actually got into a debate today with someone who pays $12 a term for swimming for a grade 1 kid.I would never pay that,its bullsh!t!!!! Its part of a PE lesson.
    Like you, I disagree with such fees and believe that they should not be charged to the child (or parent by proxy). However the only option is to pay the fees or have your child miss out. For example, this year DD4 has joined the school band - and has had to pay $120 for the priviledge. I really think that there shouldn't be a charge, but that is the way it is. So I either had to pay the fee or DD4 misses out on being in the band, which she desperately wants to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's ok the way it is now, if you can/want to pay- do so, if you can't, don't. I do expect eduction should be free, as share-a-book said, you can't make attendance compulsory if fees are compulsory because not everyone can pay them. However I think it's good if parents can CHOOSE to contribute financially because it benefits the school. I Think it's sad we need to tho.

At my kids' school our fees were almost $700 each child, and that's not including the $300 camp for our grade 4 child. This is the local public school. It has an ok reputation but by no means a great one, they struggle to fill enrolments each year. The other public primary school in the next Suburb with twice as many students has an amazing reputation and the fees are $200 a year. I assume they get more funding due to more students?

I am happy to pay while we can but I'll have 5 kids at school in 5 years and we won't be able to afford that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Children shouldn't miss out no matter what.