+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Luckychance29

It seems a little odd to me. If you have lots of eggs that become blasties and miscarriage is your issue there may be other alternatives. There are certainly women on this site that can help out with advice on that. Maybe try putting this same post out on the long term IVF warriors post...if you have been trying since you were 33, I'd say you qualify and good on you, for persisting!

There are lots of things that people talk about to improve egg quality but they are variable and seem to work for some women and then not others who are in a similar position.

You could try acupuncture pre and post transfer but that's meant to be mainly to help implantation and your problem seems further down the track.

Perhaps ask your FS why he went to the trouble of finding you a donor? Ultimately, if it does turn out that's your best chance then grab it because your FS has done the hard work for you unless you have another person in mind you'd prefer.

Best of luck with very hating,

Michelle(Giohara)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Giohara For This Useful Post:

luckychance29  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your comments, I live in tassie so going to another clinic here isn't an option, there is only 1 ivf clinic! I had made an appointment to see Wazza in Brisbane at the end of April after reading so much about him on the threads and I'm sure most of you ladies would have read about him.

Btmac my clinic doesn't grade embryos, hope your 2 are sticky it sounds promising after all the changes you have made

I have tried most of the medications and vitamins mentioned and acup quite a few times over the years and every week for the last 3 months I have seen naturapaths and drank some terrible concoctions! I've also cut out gluten, lactose, sugar and processed foods (but I don't know how long this will last!) DH and I both had a karyotype test done a couple of years ago after 2nd m/c and I had another done a few months ago after 6th m/c it came back normal.

As for egg donation I was devastated when FS first told me he had a donor for me on FET day and then sent me the bill before we had even signed the papers. My name was put on the waiting list when I asked about it after 5th m/c. My FS meant well I'm sure but I didn't feel this way at the time!
    So we had our couselling session yesterday and all went well.
    Rittzy I feel the same way IVF has consumed my life for the last 5 years DH and I have given up so many things, mainly small things but they all add up over time. So we have decided to go ahead with the donor eggs just think if it works we could have a bubba by christmas! I can't even imagine that.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences I'll keep you posted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Luckychance - It's good that you have come to a decision. I think your FS meant well but probably went about it wrong especially since he told you when you were doing a FET. It's great that you have a donor ready and waiting. I wish you every success and keep us posted how you go.

Btmac - Thanks for the additional info. Actually when I re-read the letter from my FS it only says I have polycystic ovaries not PCOS. So I probably don't have PCOS as I don't have any other symptoms and I'm not at risk of diabetes or heart disease.
    I'm like you too, I just want a baby so I'm open to ED, DH would like to use my eggs still. We are going to do chromsome testing of the embies as they look perfect to the embryologist at day 5 but have not taken so this will tell us if there is more going on.
    I definitely think you have reason to be hopeful this cycle! Lots of to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey luckychance, im fairly new to the whole ivf process but im just wondering how your FS has decided its your eggs that are the prob, im a little confused.

You have had a few pregnancy and unfortunately no luck but im just wondering what his reasons are, is it just cause he cant find anything else?? Is he just assuming???

I had a girlfriend that had been ttc for 7 yrs, she did many attempts with ivf and got BFN's but also mc's aswell, she then went on to find that her body was attacking anything it thought was abnormal in her body(causing miscarriages), i dont know any of the terms but they decided to put her on steroids and about 2 months later she fell pregnant naturally, someone might have already written about something like that but i just wanted to let you know.

Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks summershine I will keep everyone posted.

Hubba I have thought that for along time that my body doesn't like mine and DH embryos and attacks them but I have been using clexane for a couple of years and prednisolone for my last 5 cycles with no luck yet. I haven't spoken to FS since he suggested donor and I didn't ask any questions but I will speak to FN tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey lucky, i have to be sooo honest with you, i dont know if id jump into DE, without second opinion, yes u have done 5 cycles, but u get get eggs, they fertilize and u can get pregnant, i dont see how they say bad quality eggs, this really has stumped me, as i said im very new and prob dont know much but it doesnt seem to add up to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hubba View Post
    Hey lucky, i have to be sooo honest with you, i dont know if id jump into DE, without second opinion, yes u have done 5 cycles, but u get get eggs, they fertilize and u can get pregnant, i dont see how they say bad quality eggs, this really has stumped me, as i said im very new and prob dont know much but it doesnt seem to add up to me
    I agree. I see Wazza in Brisbane and he is worth his weight in gold. If you have the money, time and energy please go see him. Good luck xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lucky chance,

sorry MIA for a while!

I agree with the ladies on here in that you are able to have eggs retrieved, a good number fertalise AND achieve a BFP. I would suggest that your FS is focusing on the wrong aspect of your failed cycles. FS seems to be focusing on poor egg quality when in fact it probably isn't.

IMHO I believe it is not an egg quality issue but rather something perhaps genetic that is causing your embryos to not stick and become viable pregnancies.

When I first started our IVF journey, I was referred to one of the top FS in Adelaide that deals with "complicated" cases. I have one ovary (the other was removed due to endo), history of fibroids, endo and PCOS. When I first saw the FS he said that he needed to be certain that my fibroid was in fact a fibroid and if it was to make sure that it wasn't pushing against the lining of my uterus. He also suspected I had adenomyosis.

My MRI confirmed my fiboird was a fibroid but even though it was in my lining it should not be too much of an issue regarding implantation. Secondly I was diagnosed with Severe Adenomyosis (basically endometriosis of the eterus). This is very serious as our lining is too thick and can make it very difficult for an embyro to implant - which is why most of us girls on IVF have to have an ultra long down cycle with supression to shed the lining.

Anyway, the point I am making is that I had all of this checked before our first cycle. I too had 10 & 13 eggs collected at both my EPU from one ovary. The fertalisation was terrible. 2 from the first cycle and 1 from the 2nd cycle.

Obviously both resulted in a BFN.

Our FS sent both DH & I off for tests to find out why we were having this issue of poor fertalisation. DH came back all fine with DNA, genetic etc as did I.

Our FS said because of this he suspects it is egg quality issues as the sperm was all fine.

We have now been told if we have poor fertalisation again this cycle, this will probably be our last attempt at IVF using my eggs. As I mentioned before I am going to be paying an extra $1000 to use a human growth hormone jab for 5 days during the cycle to help the eggs along.

If this fails, our FS said we need donor eggs, as no point continuing with my eggs as it is not going to improve.

As our FS said to me, IVF is like a baseball game. To get UTD you need to get to all bases - we cannot even get to 1st base ie no good embryos.

The fact that you can get to home plate ie achieve a BFP is a good sign HOWEVER there is clearly an issue as to why they won't continue to be viable.

If you have the means and are able to be referred to another FS please do so.

In relation to your question regarding how we feel about using donor eggs - we are not sure. I am so blessed in that my darling sister who has 2 beautiful children has offered me her eggs. DH does not have an issue with this as he said they would have some genetic link to me. However I have the issue, and this is something that I will need to think long and hard about.

Good luck with everything, but please seek another FS !!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rivergirl For This Useful Post:

luckychance29  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hubba and nicole thank you for being honest. I know I should seek another opinion and as hard as it has been to make a decission about using a donor it seems like the easy one at the moment I feel like I've almost had enough. If I don't get a bfp going this way, and counsellor said it had a low success rate I will definitely still see wazza. I have done 12 stim cycles with ET and 19 FET and I am so over it.

Rivergirl I agree that it's probably not my eggs and is either my body attacking the embryos or genetic. I asked FS a couple of years ago pgd but he said it's not done in tassie and it's to expensive so that was that but it's something I would ask for if we tried another clinic. I wish you all the luck for your next cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BtMac - It's all so confusing and I find it so hard relying on the information given to me by the "experts". I was let down so badly by my first clinic that it is difficult to take at face value what any of them say :/ I think I've become jaded. I do however like my current FS and like the fact that he is also an academic so up to date on the latest research.
    I remember the embryologist at our first clinic saying that we get the kind of embryo's they go "yes" but the current FS said they can't really tell until they do genetic screening. The fact that I get so few blasts from 100% fertilisation rate makes me think it's an egg quality issue.

They will test all embryos at day 3 and only those that are normal will be transferred on day 5. So they will be testing more than one - and if they all prove to be bad then that's a good indication of what's going on and what's likely to happen in the future. Having been on this roller coaster for so long and getting close to the big 40 I need to know. So for me I think testing is the way to go, then I'll know to go to ED or other options.

I think your situation sounds a little different to mine as you get lots of Blasts and they have noticed a big improvement when they graded so it sounds like things have changed and in the right direction. Hopefully you wont have to think about genetic testing!