+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Public hospital prenatal/Private hospital delivery

Hi all, I am new and freaking out somewhat! (am sure am not alone)!
    I am 6 weeks and dont really know what the next step is. I have had pregnancy confirmed
    by pos pt and blood test with gp. I want to have a dating scan done to confirm.heartbeat but edd is 20/10. I am just confused as I joined private health fund with obstetric cover on 2/10/11. There is a 12 mth waiting period therefore will expire 2/10/12. If baby is due 20/10 then am I covered for delivery in private hospital as will have compleyed 12 mths before birth? apologies know it sounds.naive bt.all is new to me. Is it.possible to go through the public hosp system for all antenatal visits.and scans (bulkbilled) and private hosp for delivy? or is it one or the other. Dont know if i will jhave to pay 3k for a ob/gyn maintenance package or if.ceran save.costs goino public during pregnancy. If.anyone can give me.some.advice it woild be appreciated . thx so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations

The way I understand it is that you either go private or public, but I could be wrong, someone correct me if I am!

I had my DD through the public system last year - I had a couple of ultrasounds (at an unltrasound clinic) early on which I paid for (then medicare reimbursed for part of the costs), then all my care, including ultrasounds and tests, birth, drugs and hospital stay, plus postnatal issues, was all free!

I've just started looking into private health cover for the next bub as I'm tossing up what to do next time only because of my rare complications post birth. From what I can understand you'd definately be in time to have your bub privately because your health fund will only cover you for the hospital stay anyway and not all the prenatal care with you obstetrician. Medicare helps to cover some of the prenatal care costs.
    I would suggest that you check everything out with your health insurer just to be sure.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    no basically public or private

phi only covers the hospital components

to have a private delivery you will need a private ob with = management fees = $$$$ for a good one atleast

short story can not have cake and eat it as well

however have heard of public delivery then transfered to private hospital for recovery don't know how this works

we went private and $4K management fees worth every cent

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ohdear For This Useful Post:

Izy  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think you have to choose either the public or private for pre-natal and delivery.
    some private hospitals will accept transfer patients from the public hospital for post-natal stays. (i did this)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in the same position as you but had a chat to my health fund and they answered all my questions.
    Private health doesn't cover ob fees, but you get some back from medicare. I also chose an ob that didn't charge a pregnancy management fee.
    My health fund would also covered me for hospital as it was based on my due date (i think), life's a blur now i have a bub

Give them a call and have a chat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wigglepuss View Post
    I also chose an ob that didn't charge a pregnancy management fee.
    Now that's impossible in Melb