+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    I didn't read all the previous posts, but I believe in Qld high schools it is in their policy that NO student can be discriminated against because of their financial situation, they all have a right to an education (books, excursions included).

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    *Runs off to pay the voluntary contribution that I had completely forgotten about!* I didn't realise they would ever miss out on things because of it
    It's wrong, they should never miss out.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    823
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked
    226
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Look what I stumbled upon: Voluntary School Contribution

    obviously it changes state to state, but basically

    School contributions are voluntary and payment is a matter for decision by parents.

    Principals will ensure that no student or family suffers any discrimination or embarrassment over failure to make a voluntary or subject contribution. Confidentiality, privacy and dignity must always be maintained concerning contributions.


    So, those schools are completely wrong!

    Having said that, I stick by my belief that those that have the means to pay, should. It takes the burden off those who can't, while supporting your children's school and the quality of the educational experience of everyone in your community. It's part of the sharing and caring that goes with being a community. And no matter what those voluntary fees are, they are still a lot less than a private school!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucy in the Sky For This Useful Post:

    Alphabetsoup  (12-03-2012),share a book  (12-03-2012)

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I know public school fees are meant to be a voluntary contribution but then I hear from parents who don't pay saying their kids are not allowed to attend excursions, camps, swimmin, other such activities even though these have extra costs that parents pay in order for kids to attend. I've also heard kids have had their report card withheld, or even their graduation certificates.

    So if this is the case, and please tell me if it's not, then how can they be classed as voluntary?

    Ifs its voluntary I am not sure how they can do this.

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Ifs its voluntary I am not sure how they can do this.
    Turns out they can't. The horrible bit is that the parents who are more involved, have a better understanding, and place great value on the education of their children are the ones who are likely to write letters, make phone calls, and follow through to make sure the kids don't miss out. The ones like the little girl who lived across from us are more likely to miss out. Their parents have an attitude that it's ok for them to miss out and stay home, she missed out on school many times because I would go to collect her and she wasn't ready but we were on a strict timetable and unable to wait so the kid would stay home.

    IMO, kids like that are MORE in need of the extra activities than other kids who have parents likely to do extra things with them and who place value on education.

    IMO no child should ever miss out.

    In my ideal society, public schools would be free (extras for excursions, etc as always) with non-compulsory uniforms, just school colours required. Those who want extra (smaller classes, better SN facilities, religious component, compulsory uniforms, etc) can pay extra for it. But we have no true Socialist party, so it is unlikely to ever happen. The kids who need support the most are the ones most at risk of missing out.

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Turns out they can't. The horrible bit is that the parents who are more involved, have a better understanding, and place great value on the education of their children are the ones who are likely to write letters, make phone calls, and follow through to make sure the kids don't miss out. The ones like the little girl who lived across from us are more likely to miss out. Their parents have an attitude that it's ok for them to miss out and stay home, she missed out on school many times because I would go to collect her and she wasn't ready but we were on a strict timetable and unable to wait so the kid would stay home.

    IMO, kids like that are MORE in need of the extra activities than other kids who have parents likely to do extra things with them and who place value on education.

    IMO no child should ever miss out.

    In my ideal society, public schools would be free (extras for excursions, etc as always) with non-compulsory uniforms, just school colours required. Those who want extra (smaller classes, better SN facilities, religious component, compulsory uniforms, etc) can pay extra for it. But we have no true Socialist party, so it is unlikely to ever happen. The kids who need support the most are the ones most at risk of missing out.
    I am not sure about this, from what I have seen the schools here are better then american public I assumed it was because they were free, the teachers there dont care because they are paid crap states with less budget skimp on the schools I think paying for school is a good idea

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,696
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Turns out they can't. The horrible bit is that the parents who are more involved, have a better understanding, and place great value on the education of their children are the ones who are likely to write letters, make phone calls, and follow through to make sure the kids don't miss out. The ones like the little girl who lived across from us are more likely to miss out. Their parents have an attitude that it's ok for them to miss out and stay home, she missed out on school many times because I would go to collect her and she wasn't ready but we were on a strict timetable and unable to wait so the kid would stay home.

    IMO, kids like that are MORE in need of the extra activities than other kids who have parents likely to do extra things with them and who place value on education.

    IMO no child should ever miss out.

    In my ideal society, public schools would be free (extras for excursions, etc as always) with non-compulsory uniforms, just school colours required. Those who want extra (smaller classes, better SN facilities, religious component, compulsory uniforms, etc) can pay extra for it. But we have no true Socialist party, so it is unlikely to ever happen. The kids who need support the most are the ones most at risk of missing out.
    I disagree with your last paragraph. Usually a child with special needs is better off in a public school. Public schools get funding for aides, resources etc. for special needs children. In NSW, there are strict guidelines on how many children can be in infants classes. A friend of mine said there were 31 children in her child's kindergarten class at a catholic school, over 50% more than what is allowed at a NSW public school. Schools get extra funding for being disadvantaged. My school gets 4 lots of extra funding from governments because of its economic and indigenous status. Of all the funding different schools get, catholic schools are often worse off than private or government.

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I disagree with your last paragraph. Usually a child with special needs is better off in a public school. Public schools get funding for aides, resources etc. for special needs children. In NSW, there are strict guidelines on how many children can be in infants classes. A friend of mine said there were 31 children in her child's kindergarten class at a catholic school, over 50% more than what is allowed at a NSW public school. Schools get extra funding for being disadvantaged. My school gets 4 lots of extra funding from governments because of its economic and indigenous status. Of all the funding different schools get, catholic schools are often worse off than private or government.
    I'm not saying that's how it is, I meant ideally. However my dd is far better supported at the all-access Catholic school that has smaller class sizes than the public schools near us.

  10. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,696
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I'm not saying that's how it is, I meant ideally. However my dd is far better supported at the all-access Catholic school that has smaller class sizes than the public schools near us.
    But you have said you are homeschooling because she can't cope, which to me means the school is not catering to her needs.

  11. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But you have said you are homeschooling because she can't cope, which to me means the school is not catering to her needs.
    They are supporting her better than the public schools, but yes she is still better off being homeschooled. The school she is at has been her best shot at education in a school rather than at home.

    Fact remains, they are FAR better equipped for special needs than public schools around here. All classrooms are ground level, they have more aides and smaller classes, just to name a few things.

    The fact that my child does not and will not cope within a school environment does not take away from them being far.more supportive than the public schools.

    I know this is about where I live, not necessarily across the country.

    Also, what I said in the other quote is that I would like high quality education to be provided free of charge, little extras can be provided at private schools for a fee.

    I'm not saying it is like that, just that in a perfect world it would be great.


 

Similar Threads

  1. How much are your PRIVATE school fees?
    By Ishtyban in forum General Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 21-11-2014, 16:53
  2. School Fees for highschool
    By V8 in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 16:11
  3. School fees now too high
    By share a book in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 27-04-2012, 15:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months (Oct-Mar). Our indoor centre at Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!