+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    At the school I referred to, excursions, swimming lessons, camps, all come at an extra cost but if the voluntary fees are not paid then the parents don't even have the option to pay for the extras for kids to attend. Books and uniforms are not provided by the school either. Parents by the prior to the start of the school year.
    And this is a public school?! Can I ask is it in a more middle or upper class area? I guess I live a sheltered existance, because where I'm from, that would just never happen I don't think

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to public highschool we had voluntary contribution yearly. Which my parents never paid. I still had library access and still graduated both year 10 and 12.
    Than we had compulsory fees for food tech, design and tech etc which you did had to pay to participate in the course and graduate

Thanks
    Reviews
    They don't cover fees. Not here anyway. The money goes to parents and can be used for books, uniforms, excursions, shoes, school bags, extra activities like camps and things, but not school fees. Kids should not miss out when school fees are not paid.
    Hmm I'm not sure, if you get a family support worker They should be able to put money where its needed but it might depend what state and your particular office. They also do a special savings account for education but there are a few conditions on it.. And that can definitely be for school fees..it can even be saved for a few years and go towards private schooling..0but obviously that doesn't help right now. I totally agree with you that no child should miss out. Someone should try speaking to their local minister? It just seems wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    The choice of public education is "free" education. I don't understand how you can be forced to pay "voluntary" fees and if you don't that the kids miss out very wrong IMO. And disgusting of principles that are actively lying to parents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    And this is a public school?! Can I ask is it in a more middle or upper class area? I guess I live a sheltered existance, because where I'm from, that would just never happen I don't think

Very low income. Neither parent working, or single parent without work, a high number of welfare-depended families where one parent is in jail. The fees are $20 compulsory, $80 voluntary per family. A lot of the parents are drug or alcohol dependent or have gambling addictions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DDs school have a set fee of about $180/year plus extras, such as swimming, camps, excursions etc, but I'm curious, all these people complaining about having to pay it, this is why we have the education maintenance allowance every year as well as the bonus for prep and year 7. I know for me, I sign over both cheques and I only have to pay about $60 towards school swimming and the rest is covered.

So yes the government does step in and pay if parents aren't able to cover the costs.

I'm confused...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Public School fees are voluntary but remember they are still quite cheap in the whole scheme of things. However, if your child is in high school their subject fees (eg. Metal work, food tech etc) are compulsory as they need to pay for the things they make/do. Also band fees are compulsory and I think that is fair. I think that parents should have to pay for excursions, swimming, etc. if you can't pay then unfortunately your kids may just have to miss out in that years major camp. Otherwise see your principal, there is "student assistance" finds that can be accessed.
    Last edited by Missy2579; 26-02-2012 at 11:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    My DDs school have a set fee of about $180/year plus extras, such as swimming, camps, excursions etc, but I'm curious, all these people complaining about having to pay it, this is why we have the education maintenance allowance every year as well as the bonus for prep and year 7. I know for me, I sign over both cheques and I only have to pay about $60 towards school swimming and the rest is covered.

So yes the government does step in and pay if parents aren't able to cover the costs.

I'm confused...
    What's the Education Maintenance Allowance, and the bonuses for prep and year 7?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    What's the Education Maintenance Allowance, and the bonuses for prep and year 7?
    I am wondering the same thing.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I think it is only in Victoria, not the other states
    Thanks. Singlemumma82 what confuses you?

What confuses me is how they can call it voluntary then make kids go without if parents can't/won't pay, except for kids with parents who know what to say.