+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default School fees - Compulsory or not?

I know public school fees are meant to be a voluntary contribution but then I hear from parents who don't pay saying their kids are not allowed to attend excursions, camps, swimmin, other such activities even though these have extra costs that parents pay in order for kids to attend. I've also heard kids have had their report card withheld, or even their graduation certificates.

So if this is the case, and please tell me if it's not, then how can they be classed as voluntary?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a huge argument with our high school principal at the end of last year as he tried withholding my daughters school certificate and told her she wouldn't receive it until her fees were paid. I called the education department who advised me that the subject fees are compulsary but the school 'contribution' fee is not. Once i called the principal back and advised him i had this information he soon backed down!

I'm not sure about other states but in NSW my kids public primary school only had what the called a 'voluntary contribution fee' which we were never forced to pay.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When DD was at a government school there were compulsory fees plus voluntary fees. So this voluntary business is a bit of a joke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    One school near me had a $20 levy that was compulsory but it was per family, not per child, then $80 "voluntary contribution" per year, but it was the non-payment of the "voluntary contribution" that lead to kids missing excursions and things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So parents who are savvy enough can look in the right places and their kids don't miss out on things, but other kids simply miss out, that seems really unfair, kids should not miss out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I happily just pay the school fees account when it arrives in the mail. Whether or not its compulsory I have no issue paying for my child's education and don't understand why some parents would.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

onkybear  (16-03-2012),Pawzette  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I happily just pay the school fees account when it arrives in the mail. Whether or not its compulsory I have no issue paying for my child's education and don't understand why some parents would.
    Ok but maybe start a new thread on that, I simply wanted to know how they could call it voluntary if they could then not allow kids to do things, have their report cards, or even graduate, not to debate whether or not people should pay.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was reading the terms and conditions of the voluntry levy for this year and if you dont pay, it gets sent onto devt collectors. Not sure how that is exactly voluntry.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Same as above..
    We had a $180 fee to pay for DD1 starting prep this year. That pays for books, classroom resources, etc. There was also a $20 voluntary contribution amount which I also paid.
    Considering we paid $600 for 12 hrs per week of kinder last year I was more than happy to pay $200 for school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Once again, please don't turn this into a debate thread.