+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5yr old bedwetting

Had anyone got any tips to help my 5yr old. I was a bedwetter right up til I was 14 and boy did my mother give me grief and verbally abuse me and I refuse to get angry when she wets at night.
    She did spend 3 complete weeks dry when she turned 4 but after a visit to her dads he put the dry nights on her again and she went backwards. It took nearly a full year for her to want to give up the dry night nappies and went so well maybe 1-2 wet nights a week. She is now wetting every night unless I get her up at 10ish and 2ish and I'm struggling to get her out of bed at almost 39 weeks pregnant and I'm just exhausted washing sheets every day cause she's wetting twice a night.
    She drinks hardly anything after school and goes to the toilet before her bath and before bed.
    Has anyone else been through the same thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd is 5 and at this point in time rarely wets, but she will every so often. We found that change can really throw her so we were kind-of expecting a run on it when she started school. We use brolly sheets on her bed (and our ds's) and most of the time they catch it all, but it does depend if the kids are actually sleeping on top of it (they don't cover the whole bed). Yes, they still need to be washed but its so much easier than changing the whole bed in the middle of the night. They're not cheap, but cheaper than nappies in the long run!
    I hope your dd does settle down again in this regard. Getting her up twice a night must be exhausting you thoroughly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A brolly sheet on her bed?

Maybe get a few & layer them so your not having to put more on. Thank your only pulling a sheet off & changing pjs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe if you put a pull up on put undies on first so it feels wet & uncomfortable for her but doesn't wet the bed? This worked for us in toilet training?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My 12 yr ds still wets several days a week. We use adult pull ups (we call them bp's (Bedtime pants)) We see a pead about that and his adhd. We never made a big deal about it. Things that you can do is stop waking her as our pead says it harms their training the bladder to hold on. You can get a bed wetting alarm. No drinks for a hour before bed. etc....

If you ever want to chat just pm me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there!

We are in the exact same boat, it is even my 5 year old girl. I have asked my girl's GP about this too. She has said that it is a learned sensation and something you can't teach. Generally most of them will get it by about 8ish. (some may take longer). They will eventually get it! We were also advised not to wake her and to just minimalise her drink intake late afternoon. We use pull ups and when we finish each pack we try for about 3 nights in undies. It always results in bedwetting. We have 3 brollysheets which does make it easier and you do just change that, if it hasn't got on the top sheet. Our DD just sleeps through it, and if it wasn't for me going to check her, she would sleep like that all night! It is frustrating, but the poor kid just doesn't get the sensation. It's harder right now as my 2.5 year old is fully trained day and night and my 5 year old wants to wear undies too! In this situation, our GP has told us to not make a big deal about overnight, only the day time dryness.

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there... As above nearly exactly!!

My DD nearly five and still in pull ups to bed...

I've been told about them learning the sensation in their own time and not to wake them as it doesn't train them to hold on...

I limit drinks from afternoon onwards... DD still sleeps through and wets her pull up.. She sleeps 12 hours a night every night and I believe this is more important for her development than wearing knickers to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks do much for the replies. It's nice to know she's not the only one having trouble. It's hard when others tell u 'oh she's just lazy or a heavy sleeper' I've got a full mattress protector on then a sheet but then a protector that is small and tucks in at the sides do easy to pull off.
    This week we've had 2 nights in a row dry, the 1st I woke her twice and the 2nd I didn't and surprisingly stayed dry. I'll definitely take your advice on not waking her now and look into some brolly sheets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks do much for the replies. It's nice to know she's not the only one having trouble. It's hard when others tell u 'oh she's just lazy or a heavy sleeper' I've got a full mattress protector on then a sheet but then a protector that is small and tucks in at the sides do easy to pull off.
    This week we've had 2 nights in a row dry, the 1st I woke her twice and the 2nd I didn't and surprisingly stayed dry. I'll definitely take your advice on not waking her now and look into some brolly sheets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DS is almost 6 years old and he still occasionally bedwets. Probably once a week or so. I find that if DP gives him a sweet drink during the day/afternoon (cordial, juice) - he is guaranteed to wee that night.

It's hard, especially having to change pyjamas etc during the night but it's really normal. Please don't listen to those who say she's "lazy", it's not that at all. She's still just a little girl and no child likes waking up in the middle of the night in their own pee She will get there.