+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just be careful with Narrabundah. Historically it has been a suburb to avoid; it's slowly improving, but dodgy bits remain.

It's the kind of suburb that can be good to take advantage of lower, rising prices and buy into, but I probably wouldn't rent there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's good to know, I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise. What about red hill?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Red Hill would be considered one of Canberra's best suburbs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I think Red Hill is over rated. As with most suburbs there are certain areas that are undesirable especially for children. A good website to read & post is called The Riot Act. Some good ready if you suffer insomnia too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to nanny in red hill and while they are some nice areas, there is nothing really there (unless you're up in the Manuka end) and there are a lot of dodgy people/places. While I worked near lots of embassy homes, 2 blocks away was rows and rows of community housing where there were feral dogs roaming the streets and either police cars or the other protective services cars around EVERY day!

If you're coming from Sydney (we moved to queanbeyan from Sydney in 2006) and are used to going out for coffees and having cafes nearby etc I would suggest only looking at Manuka or Kingston on the southside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthAngel75 View Post
    I used to nanny in red hill and while they are some nice areas, there is nothing really there (unless you're up in the Manuka end) and there are a lot of dodgy people/places. While I worked near lots of embassy homes, 2 blocks away was rows and rows of community housing where there were feral dogs roaming the streets and either police cars or the other protective services cars around EVERY day!

If you're coming from Sydney (we moved to queanbeyan from Sydney in 2006) and are used to going out for coffees and having cafes nearby etc I would suggest only looking at Manuka or Kingston on the southside.
    That's true, there are some very dodgy bits in Red Hill; I take back what I said! I don't know about Manuka or Kingston though, the OP wants a house and garden and has a budget of $800 per week. Suburbs like like Deakin, Griffith, Curtin or Garran might be more appropriately priced, and still have a small cafe or two.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, we've found a fantastic house in Campbell. Three bedrooms and a yard for a little bit more than our two bedroom apartment in Sydney. Plus so close to the city centre. Very happy.

Thanks everyone for your advice, and I would love to meet for a coffee, play date, once we have settled in.

Have a great weekend.
    Last edited by Luckyme1; 30-03-2012 at 21:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll love campbell There is a great paint and play run near there (behind the ainslie shops) on Wed morning. PnP is like an outdoor playgroup that runs only when the weather is good (as in not wet or raining). The one in Ainslie is run by the YMCA so is pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I heard about that. It sounds great, I will definitely check it out with my ds. I'm going to stay at home until he is two so we definitely will need to find things to keep me and him occupied in Canberra.