+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Moving to Canberra

Hi, my dh has just got a job in Canberra and he will be working in barton. We have a one year old and trying for number two. Can anyone recommend a good suburb to live in. I also won't know anyone and am staying at home for a while, so suggestions welcome on how to meet other mums and bubs.

Thanks for your help!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What kind of home would you like? How much can you afford? Will either of you be relying on public transport?

My husband works in Barton too

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only have one car, so I will drop him off at work. We need a three bedroom house, and can spend up to $800 a week. Thanks for your interest!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you looked at Allhomes? If you'd like to be close to Barton have a look around the "South Canberra" and "Woden Valley" sections. Areas of Weston Creek and North Canberra would also not be too far away for you.

It's hard to narrow down, but off the top of my head I'd probably recommend somewhere like Hughes or Curtin. They're very close to much dearer suburbs like Yarralumla, Forrest and Deakin and are kind've on the way up, but are more reasonably priced. If you can afford it, my pick of that area would probably be Griffith.

Have a look at the website, maybe narrow down the area on a map, and I'd be happy to help you out with any specifics

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Griffith, Red Hill, Deakin and Yarralumla have 3 bedroom places for around that price, they're in the inner south and are not too far from Barton.

All Homes is the best website to look for rentals in the ACT: www.allhomes.com.au

As for meeting other mums, playgroups might be a good idea. I think in the inner south area there is also a paint and play session run out of the Narrabundah Early Childhood School (where the ACT Health runs the Narrabundah clinics).

I'll have a better think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I work in barton and live in the south side it takes me about 20 minutes to get to work from monash. I have a 16 month old bubba and am 18 weeks pregnant with number 2. I would be happy to meet up. There are also lots of play groups you can join and some other free activities like paint and play and giggle and wiggle where u would meet other mums or even swimming lessons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's fantastic everyone, thanks for all the advice. I love bubhub. I'd love to meet up with you when I get to Canberra. I really want my little boy to have little friends and me too of course!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a free playgroup run out of the Wesley Uniting Church in Forrest (inner south) on Monday mornings from 10-12pm. Most of the kids so far this year are in the 1-2year age range

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hello :-) we are south side (Tuggeranong) and dh works in the Barton area doesn't take him too long to get there each morning :-)
    I have a 5 year old and a 7 week old and would love to catch up sometime when you get here..
    Where do you move and where are you coming from?
    Good luck with the move and bubba 2 :-) x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, we haven't set a date yet for the move as I will be house hunting on the week of the 18th March. Fingers crossed we find something that week so we can put the move in motion.

We're coming from Sydney and I'm not sure which suburb we're moving to yet. There's some promising looking places in the nurrabundah area though.

We would like to catch up for a coffee when we're settled in though. Thanks for being so welcoming Canberrans, this is a really good start.
    Last edited by Luckyme1; 03-03-2012 at 04:33.