+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about croup!

I am so paranoid about dd getting croup. I know 4 bubs who have had it in the last 2 weeks and I ampaths cared that dd is going to get it. She hasnt been in contact with any of the bubs but she does go to daycare so if its going around here is a higher chance of her getting it! She has a slight cough and every time she coughs I'm listening for the 'barking' sound. I sound like such a weirdo! Can someone please educate me a little more on it!?? My friend the other day was telling me how her dd had it and she was struggling to breathe etc so I'm really paranoid about it now!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You will know it if she has it. My dd has had it at 5 months and it was a bit scary. When it starts out it will probably just seem like a normal cold and a little cough. The part where you worry is the "strider" sound which is where there is like a high pitched sort of sound to the breathing.. Its kind of subtle in a way but if you listen close you hear it.. But basically the cough is so distinct and yeah she will seem to struggle to breathe so you will know. With dd I actually just went straight to the hospital. I had gone to the gp earlier in the day and he was useless and said she just had a cold and completely disregarded the laboured breathing. By the time I knew I needed to listen to my instincts she was sleepy, miserable, a little floppy and not breathing well. But the good news is once they determine what it is they give the steroids and they start getting better quickly. I guess because they got it late with my daughter they had to keep us over night at hospital and do a second treatment but she did get better within a day

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    You will know it if she has it. My dd has had it at 5 months and it was a bit scary. When it starts out it will probably just seem like a normal cold and a little cough. The part where you worry is the "strider" sound which is where there is like a high pitched sort of sound to the breathing.. Its kind of subtle in a way but if you listen close you hear it.. But basically the cough is so distinct and yeah she will seem to struggle to breathe so you will know. With dd I actually just went straight to the hospital. I had gone to the gp earlier in the day and he was useless and said she just had a cold and completely disregarded the laboured breathing. By the time I knew I needed to listen to my instincts she was sleepy, miserable, a little floppy and not breathing well. But the good news is once they determine what it is they give the steroids and they start getting better quickly. I guess because they got it late with my daughter they had to keep us over night at hospital and do a second treatment but she did get better within a day

This, DS1 has had it every year since he was 6 months. You'll definitely know, if in doubt you can always call heathdirect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! There is definitely no 'strider' sound- just the cough. But maybe it's just a cough and I'm being a paranoid first time mummy (dd is 16 months but I can still use that excuse!!!)
    If it gets any worse ill take her straight to the doc just to be safe. I just needed some reassurance that I would know what it was!!! Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 19 month old DS had his first bout of croup last week that resulted in a trip to hospital. For him it came out of no-where. He did not have a cold/runny nose/anything - went to bed fine, woke us at one with the horrible barking cough and strider. We watched him for half an hour then he was getting worse so to hospy we went. Things I learnt - keep them calm - the more upset they are, the tougher it is to breath, the cold air actually helps (it reduces swelling in the larynx, which is what makes breathing difficult) and if in doubt, call an ambulance - it all happened very quickly for my DS.

Hope your little one is ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    ds had it 3 times between june - july last winter,
    the first two times it hit without warning, he had a very mild cold and after a big day crashed early, the first time he woke crying at 8 pm, i went in and freaked out he was gasping for air and wheezing in between coughing (stridor, he sounded like he was having a very, very bad astha attack) rushed him upto the hospital convinced he'd come down with bronchiolitis again, where i was told he had croup,

the second time he sat up in bed and i heard the wheeze before he started crying and the cough started, called mum calmly told her my ds couldnt breath (she thought i was nuts, he was screaming in the background lol) upto hospital still calm and again croup,

the 3rd time time was a doctors visit as he just couldnt recover from the second bout of it and i wsnted to get aproval to continue redipred.

it's scary in how quick it can hit, a mild cold can turn to serious breathing problems in under 2 hours but as a general rule if responded to quickly is easily settled with redipred etc

once you've heard that cough once you wont mistake it though.

as i know ds has chest problems i dread winter and random weather and listen to ds's chest like a crazy person though and the slightest wheeze sends me into panic
    Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    if she sounds like a seal bark then she needs to see a doctor really quick, hope your lo is okay

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh I want to add that you may notice your babies cry will change and be sort of hoarse and rough.. And agree that it is important to try to keep your baby calm and avoid letting them cry much at all as this makes it much worse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I agree with the others, the cough is so distinctive that you will know straight away. My DS has had it several times in the last 2 years and it usually gets worse in the evening. We would always take him into the bathroom and run a hot shower and the steam from that would really help but in the end it was predmix prescribed from the doctor that made all the difference. It lasts 12 months so it was always in the fridge ready to go in case of a middle of the night surprise attack which saved us from dragging him out to hospital thank goodness!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    You realise that you cannot catch it right?
    Hi Missie Mack,

Can I clarify as the doctors led me to believe it was contagious...? They explained to me that not all kids get it, but to the ones that do get it, it is contagious??? Of the 20 kids who are in my sons creche room throughout the week, 10 got it, and one of the carers got laryngitis....

Can you please explain the non-contagious thing to me a bit more? I keep my son out of creche for a week cos I didn't want to spread it - did I waster my time???

Thanks!