+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bruin cot from 2007/08 - help!

Ok, so I got given a cot by a friend and it is really nice, it's the bruin sleigh cot/toddler bed.

However... I googled to find out what the mattress size is, and everything I see coming up is that for this time period, this cot was recalled because the wrong sticker stating the wrong sized mattress was on the cots, which could potentially lead to sids as the regular sized cot mattress were too small for the cot, so you had to get a special sized one, or return the cot at the time.

All good, so I have tried to google the right size to buy - they have remade the cot to fit regular sized ones, as the cot doesn't actually come with a custom made mattress, and a few things I read said that places don't make the sized mattress that it needs anymore.

Does anyone know anything?? I am going around in circles with google!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I have this cot. My son was born in Dec 07 so I assume it's the same one. We bought it from toys r us and bought the mattress at the same time. The mattress is just the standard size one you can purchase from target.

We bought a toddler bed and mattress from target and the mattress fits in the cot too and all the same sheets.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CocktailBubba For This Useful Post:

TinyLittleTootsies  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I'm not sure if that was helpful. What was your question exactly lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    haha, sorry! It was a long question!

I was basically asking what mattress can I buy that fits the safety standards.

My friend had the toys r us mattress too, but they were recalled because they don't fit 100% into the cot. Apparently they have too much of a gap at the top and at the side, so a baby can get trapped/their face wedged face down etc. I *think* my friends was too small, but she didn't know at the time.

Does yours have a gap at all? I don't know how much of a gap is allowed but apparently the standard ones leave a gap bigger than australian standards allows, so you need to buy a mattress bigger than the one they were telling being to buy at the time. (which is why they recalled them, stuck new stickers on them saying the new mattress size, and then went on to only produce new sized cots from then on that fit a regular mattress)

Does that make any sense at all now?

Pretty much - if I have the old cot, will I find the right size to fit.. and what size *does* it fit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm I just checked it and I actually never noticed and don't if it's normal or not but there is about a 2cm gap on the side and 1cm gap at the top. The mattress doesn't move while baby is asleep and I can even see how a babies face could get stuck in the ago because it's such a small gap. I'm using it for my second bub now.. Gee I feel bad that I didn't even know it had been recalled :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe the Aus standards allow for no more then 5mm gap between mattress and side of cot

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HELPihavea2yrold! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will need to measure up base of cot, minus the gaps. If you can't find one that size then Clark rubber makes ones to fit

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HELPihavea2yrold! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CocktailBubba View Post
    Hmmm I just checked it and I actually never noticed and don't if it's normal or not but there is about a 2cm gap on the side and 1cm gap at the top. The mattress doesn't move while baby is asleep and I can even see how a babies face could get stuck in the ago because it's such a small gap. I'm using it for my second bub now.. Gee I feel bad that I didn't even know it had been recalled :/
    My friend didn't know either and had both of her children use it. Don't feel bad! I wish recalls on these things got more coverage. I only know because I needed to know the size to buy.

HELPihavea2yrold! - I *think* I remember reading that you make cots/know about this type of thing right? With the 5mm gap... does that mean that a 2cm and 1cm gap means the regular sized mattress don't fit to aus/sids standards? Or is it too small to matter?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. I design and make cots and children's furniture. The max gap is 5mm. This allows for sheets to fit in nicely but doesn't allow for any limbs to get stuck. Yep, the gaps 1-2cms wouldnt meet Aus standards. Check around once you know what size you need because there are a few cot mattress sizes ie Boori have a completely different one to standard. I got a mattress custom made by Clark rubber for under $100 though so that's not too exxy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HELPihavea2yrold! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much! I will measure it up minus those small gaps and see if any are still sold in that size. Otherwise it is off to clark rubber! Do they need to be a certain thickness/material to meet standards as well?