+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0

    Smile Starting a Family Day Care

    Hi all, I'm thinking of starting a family day care in my area (NT) and was wondering if any bubhubbers are doing this? If so, how do you find it? What ages do you take and how many children? Also what is your pricing structure? I have an 11mth old DS and was thinking maybe to start with only 2 more (depending on ages) and see how I go? Any advice, thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by bub4shell; 25-02-2012 at 20:50.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked
    184
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do family day care 3 days a week. I take 5 children under 3 each day. This will change in 2014 when carers will only be allowed to have 4 children under school age. I also do some before school care on a casual basis. There is a huge need for care for under 2's in my area and I also find it easier to deal with kids all around the same age and definitely prefer the younger group but that is jmo and certainly does not seem to be the general consensus in my area with many carers refusing to take under 2's.

    We set our own fees and they vary a lot. Our office/coordination unit takes $1/hour for each child and carers will get between $5.50 and $8.00 depending on what they provide. Some provide food, nappies, milk etc whilst others ask parents to supply all of that.

    I would definitely recommend starting off slowly if you can afford to as it takes time for children to settle in (including your ds) and this can be really draining if you are trying to get used to lots of kids at the same time, learn all their routines etc.

    Whilst I think fdc is great and I do enjoy doing it, it is very controlling and I am starting to notice how much it affects what I can and can't do in my house/yard. There is also an absolute tonne of paperwork to do. I am really just doing it until I can afford to study full time and because there is no before and after school care here for ds if I worked anywhere else.

    I have been really lucky with families I have had here and have really good relationships with all of them. They are all happy with the care their children receive here and that is the most important thing I guess. Please feel free to pm me or reply to this thread if you have any more specific questions.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to happykat For This Useful Post:

    bub4shell  (26-02-2012)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0
    Thankyou so much happykat, definitely food for thought. I really think I would like to do it, as I'm just not 100% about putting DS into care and I'd also like to study while he's young. Plus I genuinely enjoy interacting with kids, especially the younger under 2's. Good tip about trying to take them in the same age group as I'm guessing they would be on similar routines and activities will suit most of them as well. Whereabouts do you reside? I'm in Darwin and from what I can gather, there is a screaming need for good day care. I'll look into it a bit more and hopefully make a decision in the coming weeks. Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.


    Quote Originally Posted by happykat View Post
    I do family day care 3 days a week. I take 5 children under 3 each day. This will change in 2014 when carers will only be allowed to have 4 children under school age. I also do some before school care on a casual basis. There is a huge need for care for under 2's in my area and I also find it easier to deal with kids all around the same age and definitely prefer the younger group but that is jmo and certainly does not seem to be the general consensus in my area with many carers refusing to take under 2's.

    We set our own fees and they vary a lot. Our office/coordination unit takes $1/hour for each child and carers will get between $5.50 and $8.00 depending on what they provide. Some provide food, nappies, milk etc whilst others ask parents to supply all of that.

    I would definitely recommend starting off slowly if you can afford to as it takes time for children to settle in (including your ds) and this can be really draining if you are trying to get used to lots of kids at the same time, learn all their routines etc.

    Whilst I think fdc is great and I do enjoy doing it, it is very controlling and I am starting to notice how much it affects what I can and can't do in my house/yard. There is also an absolute tonne of paperwork to do. I am really just doing it until I can afford to study full time and because there is no before and after school care here for ds if I worked anywhere else.

    I have been really lucky with families I have had here and have really good relationships with all of them. They are all happy with the care their children receive here and that is the most important thing I guess. Please feel free to pm me or reply to this thread if you have any more specific questions.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to bub4shell For This Useful Post:

    happykat  (26-02-2012)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked
    184
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You are welcome!! I am in NSW and there is a huge demand for it here too. It took a while for things to take off for me and we had to do a bit of work to the house to get it ready but it has been worth it. The rouitine thing is a big plus with kids the same age and it is also the programming side of it. It is really hard to have a 5 year old who need to be doing small puzzles, using scissors etc etc when the other kids are only 12 months old and can't be around that stuff. It depends what your area allows though. I know of at least 2 schemes that will only let you have a maximum of 2 children under 2 with only one of those allowed to be under 1. Of course your DS would count as one of these so you would have to check into that side of it too.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    1,803
    Thanks
    510
    Thanked
    383
    Reviews
    21
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happykat View Post
    We set our own fees and they vary a lot. Our office/coordination unit takes $1/hour for each child and carers will get between $5.50 and $8.00 depending on what they provide. Some provide food, nappies, milk etc whilst others ask parents to supply all of that.

    .
    sorry to crash but, wow, i only pay 50cents admin levy, but i pay $8.10/hr, inc admin levy. funny how it varies.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,998
    Thanks
    1,355
    Thanked
    1,061
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happykat View Post
    It took a while for things to take off for me and we had to do a bit of work to the house to get it ready but it has been worth it.
    Crashing the thread!

    Do you mind if I ask what type of things you had to do to your house to make it ready? And were these for your own standards, or things you were told to change by the company etc?

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked
    184
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    Crashing the thread!

    Do you mind if I ask what type of things you had to do to your house to make it ready? And were these for your own standards, or things you were told to change by the company etc?
    Some things such as child proof gate, fencing off the area at the side of the house and behind the shed, installing doors so certain areas of the house couldn't be accessed and putting locks on cupboards and things were all requirements of the scheme I work through (and based on the regulations). Other things such as installing a storage cupboard, changing the taps in the bathroom and putting down a timber floor instead of carpet, were all my own choice :-)

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to happykat For This Useful Post:

    TinyLittleTootsies  (27-02-2012)

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked
    21
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by happykat View Post
    I do family day care 3 days a week. I take 5 children under 3 each day. This will change in 2014 when carers will only be allowed to have 4 children under school age. I also do some before school care on a casual basis. There is a huge need for care for under 2's in my area and I also find it easier to deal with kids all around the same age and definitely prefer the younger group but that is jmo and certainly does not seem to be the general consensus in my area with many carers refusing to take under 2's.

    We set our own fees and they vary a lot. Our office/coordination unit takes $1/hour for each child and carers will get between $5.50 and $8.00 depending on what they provide. Some provide food, nappies, milk etc whilst others ask parents to supply all of that.

    I would definitely recommend starting off slowly if you can afford to as it takes time for children to settle in (including your ds) and this can be really draining if you are trying to get used to lots of kids at the same time, learn all their routines etc.

    Whilst I think fdc is great and I do enjoy doing it, it is very controlling and I am starting to notice how much it affects what I can and can't do in my house/yard. There is also an absolute tonne of paperwork to do. I am really just doing it until I can afford to study full time and because there is no before and after school care here for ds if I worked anywhere else.

    I have been really lucky with families I have had here and have really good relationships with all of them. They are all happy with the care their children receive here and that is the most important thing I guess. Please feel free to pm me or reply to this thread if you have any more specific questions.
    This. Although my scheme only charge 22c p/h admin and I charge $7.00 p/h care. I do however feel that for what I get paid I have to do a lot for, and I charge towards the higher end for care. It took quite a while to set up and get going but I'm nearly full now! I'm only allowed to care for 4 children under school age, so it varies between states.

    I will only do FDC until my child (I'm pregnant at the moment!) is around 1 and then get a job where I get paid more for much less responsibility!! I think I feel this way as I'm passionate about caring for children with additional needs and that's just not happening for me unfortunately. So I will eventually be applying for jobs in disability SA .

    Feel free to pm me if you want any more info


 

Similar Threads

  1. Family Day Care or Long Day Care?
    By Bond Girl in forum Working Hubbers - Employed
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-08-2012, 19:59
  2. Family day care / child care centres for Carseldine, Qld
    By Lilo in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 09:37
  3. Family Day Care vs Child Care Center
    By Peg1 in forum Childcare Options
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-09-2011, 14:49

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!