+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Potty mouth 4 yr old!!

I am shocked and dumbfounded by the language that has been coming out of my 4 yr old in the last 2 or so weeks!!
    This type of language is not said in this household and I haven't heard it come from anyone such as uncles etc!
    The only thing I can put it down to is kindy !!
    She was being naughty a few minutes ago and said to me " shut your mouth you dirty grot" :0
    I could not believe it !! Then said how bout I slap ya in the face ummmm what the ??
    I didnt know how to react to it , this is not the worse that had come out of her mouth either!!

Has anyone else had such language come out of their 4 yr old and how did you react / punish them??
    I have not had to deal with it in the child older than her!!
    I am apawled by what I am hearing and a tad ashamed , as if I have done something wrong!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, she picked up a bit from daycare. I told her when she grows up she can use those words, although with her it was only swearing, not physical threats. The worst was when I was onto her about tidying up her room, told her she can't have people over until it's tidy and if it gets too late she won't be allowed a friend over. She said "shut the f--- up!" It was the agression more than the language that upset me. I told her she will not have a friend over, and can come out of her room when she can be nice because Mummy is very sad now and wants to be alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd uses the word stupid a lot which just doesn't sound nice, especially because she says it very aggressively.

I talked to her about it being a rude word and gave her alternatives to use instead, like silly. I also told her that her grandmother would be very upset to hear her use it which is always a good one :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked in childcare for 11 yrs and have heard some great vocab in that time. When the children spoke like that they knew they rule was that they had to stand outside the glass door and speak to the wind because no one wants to play with someone who uses yucky words, we only use nice words, I use to tell them that grown up get to choose the words they use but it does not sound nice coming from anyone and that words can really hurt peoples feelings and that is not what being a nice friend is about.

I use to work on a age scale in regards to language

2 yrs - ignore it
    3 yrs - say we only use nice words
    4 yrs - explain that if thats how they are going to talk then they can go outside and speak to the wind
    5 yrs and up ask them if they know what the words means, then if they do offer altenitive words.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good old wash their mouth out with soap trick
    I'm not sure with a 4 year old but my two almost 3 year olds have dropped a few clangers and I ignore it.