+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DP is a Stevedore. Works on the wharves as a Crane Driver. He doesn't work very often though so will only hit about 20 - 25k for financial year. I earn $65k per year so am the primary income earner. While we have small kids this is what we decided to stick with and works for us. I wouldnt trade any of the money here for less time for either of us at home.

Good luck for your DH trying to find a new pathway at work!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    His qualifications means he can work in any lab, whether is geotechnical or pathology etc, and can take him all over the world.
    If you don't mind me asking what his qualifications are? My DH is a lab technician and earns so little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My hubby is a stay at home daddy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (26-02-2012),earthfairy  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of people saying they can't believe how much money others earn and wish they could have that, which is what I thought might happen in a thread like this. I changed career from a very high paying role to start at the bottom again. Trust me, money doesn't make you happy or make everything magically easier and comparing yourself also does you no favours, particularly when not all the details are there. I'd prefer the satisfaction, happiness and passion I have with my new job than the big money, sitting at a desk all day and loads of stress I had in my last job any day, even when things are tough like they are at the moment and while I was studying to make the change. I wouldn't turn down lotto if I won though

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HOMS For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (26-02-2012),Apple iPhart6  (26-02-2012),Cherry18Bloss  (27-02-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (26-02-2012),Guest1234  (26-02-2012),Rutabaga  (27-02-2012),waterlily  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GluttonForPunishment View Post
    Don't be! It means long hours, stress, time away from loved ones sometimes. And don't forget how much tax you get to pay!! No, everything has its price.
    Exactly. Dp works long hours, the kids don't get to see him much and he is under an incredible amount of stress because of the responsibility he carries.

Also we have finally been able to buy our first home so have a huge mortgage (300k) and we have three children so we definitely are not living a life a luxury.

I work from home selling on eBay as well as being print consultant as we need the extra cash.

So many times Dp thinks about giving up his job and becoming an outdoors tradie - less stress, out in the sun, gets to come home and see the kids before bed - but ultimately he loves his job as he worked very hard to get to where he is today,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

earthfairy  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my husband is an Engineer in the army and is 65 k a yr which is cool with me he loves his job and I love being a stay at home mummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree it's all relative and that money doesn't equal happiness - as i said my DH is very happy in his job and have a house and don't struggle because we are wise with the little we have. I'd rather DH be happy in his work than earn double but be miserable (which he could do, he is very clever and qualified).
    My issue is when people say things like the high pay means harder work and more time away from family etc - that may be true but low paying jobs can also mean very hard work and time away from family.
    DH has a very difficult job, he works away for 3 months at a time regularly and many more shorter trips (2-4 weeks) so i resent people thinking less money = less stress and more time with family as that is not always the case.
    Anyway aside from being lonely with DH who is away lots we are happy and that's what counts.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

CMF  (26-02-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (26-02-2012),naebie  (26-02-2012),twotrunks  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    My hubby is a stay at home daddy
    Mine too!

With me, I am currently on $64k with company car, in 3 weeks I start a new job for $72k but give up the car and mobile phone and laptop. Have had to finance a new car so I can get to said job, so the money won't really make us any better off, and I will be traveling almost 1.5hrs each way instead of 45-50 mins, but I'm willing to make small sacrifices for job satisfaction and a happy home life! Oh and I currently account manager for a lift company, no formal learning jut worked my way up over 7 years. Going back to an admin type role for more money and less stress!
    Last edited by noskie; 26-02-2012 at 07:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post

Also we have finally been able to buy our first home so have a huge mortgage (300k) and we have three children so we definitely are not living a life a luxury.
    If our mortgage was only 300k I'd be loving it! It's amazing the difference in perspective depending on where you live and what you're used to. We often joke about leaving Sydney and going somewhere cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What I find quite odd is that DF is a public officer and gets paid more than a police officer. Like 30k more!! Less training and less responsibility, both govt jobs etc.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (26-02-2012),RainbowSky  (26-02-2012)