+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My Dh is gm of a resort, salary of $120k + 30% bonus if he meets targets. We live in so accommodation and all bills etc catered for.

Sounds pretty sweet, downside is he is ALWAYS at work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Goodness, where do I get one of these cashed up husbands from?

My partner is a graduate psychologist, and the pay is really bad as he has to be supervised for at least 2 years. He works 4 days but the fte is $45k. When he gets registered, it should jump by about $20 or $30k, and there's always the potential for more depending on what he does with it.

I'm a third year lawyer and my fte is $80k in a small firm with cushy hours, but I work 3 days. It probably be more in a bigger firm, but I would have to work later and weekends, and I have no interest in that.

We're both pretty lazy career wise, so I think we will probably hit a ceiling of $100k fte each (but probably working part time). We're not really motivated enough to make sacrifices for big money. Maybe when we don't have young kids. As we both have desk jobs, we will probably just keep working pt even when we're older so it'll all even out income wise over our lifetimes.

I don't recommend law, but my partner loves psychology, but it's a long haul - 6 years full time to get registered.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

jemmajam  (26-02-2012),twotrunks  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well my husband is a product manager and earns less then i do....and im in admin.
    I am even more depressed after reading this as i would love nothing more then to be a stay at home mum.... We just cant afford it.

Sarah :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow ... lots of people on decent incomes there. DH earns about $55-60k but can earn more with shift allowances, overtime etc

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hubby is a first year emergency management officer, $100,000 a year doing 2:2, he could be on $150,000 doing 2:1 but I won't sacrifice the extra week though he has been doing an extra 3-5 shifts every second R&R which bumps him up to $125,000.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow...a lot of people on here make really decent money. Can I just vent a tiny bit?

4 years of full time tertiary education (mandatory double degree) and 8 months of full time, unpaid placement will get me $41,000. And what will I be doing? Everything I can to advocate for those who can't always advocate for themselves. I'll be a social worker - a highly trained professional.

Yes, the social and community services just got a pay increase but it is being introduced over 8 fracking years. Close to a decade I'll be earning a pittance. A graduate teacher earns so much more than that (as they should) - over 50k. But if we value our teachers and nurses, why not our social workers?

So frustrating! Vent over. To answer original question, my fiancé is a phD student on a scholarship,so only $23,000 dollars. And his earning potential does not increase to the average rate that most people's partners seem to be earning, you lucky things!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EchoSummers For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (26-02-2012),Rutabaga  (27-02-2012),TreeGirl  (27-02-2012),twotrunks  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DP is a commercial insurance rep. Base wage is $61k + car + phone + lap top and fuel cards + 5% renewal commission from his portfolio which is at around $700k now paid monthly and average $10k (after tax) new business commission per quarter. He has no formal qualifications, hasn't got his VCE, cruisey hours now but he has been with the company for 10 years now and has just got this position 12 months ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou everyone for your responses

Currently my Dp is a storeman for a large company.
    He is on 80k but thats with alot of overtime (EOW and public holidays etc)
    without overtime he earns 60k

Does anyone know how much a OHS officer earns ?

Working in the mines sounds tempting, even if were for 2 years just to take a large chunk off the mortgage.
    But we have 4 kids here and it wouldn't work for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It may sound like good money, but it's all relative. We live in Sydney so our mortgage is fairly chunky (for an average size house on a small block 35kms from the city) and when I worked full time it cost me $50/week in transport costs just to get to work. To drive into the city it's over $20 just in tolls to get there and back.

Even though DH is on good money we still can't afford for me to stay home long term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    It may sound like good money, but it's all relative. We live in Sydney so our mortgage is fairly chunky (for an average size house on a small block 35kms from the city) and when I worked full time it cost me $50/week in transport costs just to get to work. To drive into the city it's over $20 just in tolls to get there and back.

Even though DH is on good money we still can't afford for me to stay home long term.
    I know what you mean, even on 80k our mortgage is 3 quarters of DPs wage.
    Whats left over goes to bills, food, kids swimming and sports activity and a tiny portion into savings.
    We live week to week on a strict budget.
    If we could move to a cheap town with a cheaper mortgage we would but certain circumstances make it not possible to move at present.