+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post

The figures you guys are chucking around are making my eyes water!
    mine too!! Holy hell some of these pay packets are amazing!

DH is in automotive aftermarket sales and makes $47,000 plus bonus of $50 a month if they make budget.... Yep $50 lol

He has his own business on the side sourcing and importing genuine parts for old American vehicles (his passion) and his makes about $5k a year so it's more like a hobby then anything else, but he loves it

I am a logistics manager and all round office/accounts/data entry - $45k. I love my job and wouldn't change anything!
    Last edited by siege; 27-02-2012 at 13:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My hubby is a doctor and he doesn't get paid anywhere near the amounts people are saying. Works horrible shift work and long hours. I think most people way over-estimate how much doctors get. Starting salary is 55k and then it takes about 5 years to get up to 80k. I hope one day it pays off because right now it feels absolutely not worth it.

I suspect high income earners are over represented in this thread because they were much happier to rush forward and say how much hubby earns.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-02-2012),earthfairy  (27-02-2012),Happy2be3  (28-02-2012),MothersMilk  (27-02-2012),twotrunks  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    My hubby is a doctor and he doesn't get paid anywhere near the amounts people are saying. Works horrible shift work and long hours. I think most people way over-estimate how much doctors get. Starting salary is 55k and then it takes about 5 years to get up to 80k. I hope one day it pays off because right now it feels absolutely not worth it.

I suspect high income earners are over represented in this thread because they were much happier to rush forward and say how much hubby earns.
    Same. DH is on horrible shift work, most weeks are 6 days and min 12 hours a day. And it can be 4 days nights, 1.5 days off to recover, then 8 days in a row 6am to 10pm then 1 day off and then 5 days nights. Horrible shift work.

He made 86K before tax last year. That was working all year those 6 day, 12-15 hour days and doing extra jobs in his leave time. His base is in the 50K's. We had to pay 8k back in Hecs last tax, so that was all of his return plus thousands more.

For me the hard part is there are no extras and he is pretty much owned by the hospital he works for. He works when they say, he takes holidays when they say, and he even gets sent to regional areas if they say so which means working away from us for up to 3 months.

We pay:

For use of doctor room, all work insurances, his license to practice, these fees are yearly and very expensive.

To do his surgery exams, it will be a total of 15K to the board. That doesn't include all the application fees and fees to sit interviews. (yep you pay to have an interview). This is only for the 1 st year. Every exam year is very expensive and you pay it, not the hospital.

The nurses make way more than him at the moment per hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    I find this thread a little distasteful. It seems to be more about bragging about how much peoples husbands and partners make than about careers advice.
    Is it distasteful to discuss how much you earn, or is it only distasteful if you are a high income earner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    Is it distasteful to discuss how much you earn, or is it only distasteful if you are a high income earner?
    Agreed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You learn to live within your means no matter what you earn. Us combined dont earn as much as some of your DPs but we get by fine and have a mortgage like the average. I love that DH works 8:30-5pm Mon-Fri and no overtime or anything so it works in really well for us! He can still get bonuses but I dont care if he does.

OP DH is a Jnr Accounts Manager

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH is a production manager/scheduler for a bedding manufacturer, he is on 85k including bonuses...next year he will be promoted to operations manager & will get 120k & company car

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP perhaps your DH can look into something like supply chain management or logistics, seen as how he has experience on the ground floor in that area?

I think it's very sad that so many worthy and necessary positions - ones that we trust with our children and our lives - are paid so poorly.

As for bragging, my DF worked hard to get where he is and spent years as an apprentice being paid $7 an hour. I'm proud of him for getting where he is, I'm not trying to be vulgar by discussing his income in a thread that asked just that

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

Thunderstorm  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post

Actually I would believe it to be quite the opposite on BH, with low income earners happy and free to talk about pay packets, and high income earners hesitant to do so as it is generally met with disdain and accusation of bragging.

I believe there would be quite a number of hubbers on here that could answer with the high amounts mentioned, and somewhat higher as well but are unwilling to divulge. In fact I'm sure a poll last year revealed just that where the average income of hubbers was much higher then many expected.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 27-02-2012 at 16:16.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

FutureMa  (27-02-2012),SheWarrior  (27-02-2012),Thunderstorm  (27-02-2012),Von Zipper  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is a middle school teacher. He has some added responsibilities. He's on $80K.