+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find this thread a little distasteful. It seems to be more about bragging about how much peoples husbands and partners make than about careers advice.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Witchypoo For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (27-02-2012),earthfairy  (27-02-2012),hopefulmama2b  (27-02-2012),Mammytobe  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine is a fridge mechanic by trade and they can earn some good money however you need to do an apprenticeship and work your way up. My husband is a manager in fridge/ac now and is very fortunate in his income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby is a construction safety manager and is on a little over 250k a year.
    I strongly recommend getting your hubby to consider safety. The base wage for entry into this field is around 70k and my hubby has gone up from that to where he is now in a little over 5 years.
    All it requires is a cert 4 in safety and then bobs your uncle. Good luck with the changes about to take place in your family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Back to the original questioner: what does your DH like to do? What is he good at? How long and how much money is he prepared to put into retraining? Is he prepared to do a boring job for good money? How about a dangerous job? How about being away from home?

To get advice you'd really need to give us some guidance on these questions. For example, I could say my DH is a league star and earns $200k plus (he isn't!) but that wouldn't help you unless your DH is awesome at league.

Also, and just curious: are you interested in what WE do too? I'm still TTC so am working full time in an interesting job with good pay - however you need about four years of Uni to get into it, do probably not an option your DH wants to consider with a family to support while training.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whoops, my apologies, you DID ask what we do too. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaFour View Post
    DP is a labourer and earns $38,000 a year. After seeing this thread I have told him that he is definitely in the wrong field
    Nah... Labourer (and any blue collar) men look hotter in their uniforms than men in suits anyway! IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Just wanted to add after reading everyone's posts that after tax my dh gets $100k. His previous employment he had shift work and a lot more stress and got paid so much less, doesn't make sense sometimes! in saying that dh did the hard yards to get where he is. We have also been in the situation of struggling and earning $40k and although some have said money doesn't buy happiness i personally don't understand this concept. certainly makes life easier and makes us happy
    What ya mean u don't understand this concept? We earn $50 combined... We're perfectly happy. I can't imagine I'd be any happier earning more money.. Mind you, im a stressless person, I don't stress.. About anything.. Ever! Truly I don't. So for us, I just doesn't matter how much we earn, as long as we have time together, im not phased by material stuff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Nah... Labourer (and any blue collar) men look hotter in their uniforms than men in suits anyway! IMO.

Lol, totally agree. Give me a tradie any day!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by karisha View Post
    My hubby is a construction safety manager and is on a little over 250k a year.
    I strongly recommend getting your hubby to consider safety. The base wage for entry into this field is around 70k and my hubby has gone up from that to where he is now in a little over 5 years.
    All it requires is a cert 4 in safety and then bobs your uncle. Good luck with the changes about to take place in your family
    Did your hubby study safety at Tafe ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Back to the original questioner: what does your DH like to do? What is he good at? How long and how much money is he prepared to put into retraining? Is he prepared to do a boring job for good money? How about a dangerous job? How about being away from home?

To get advice you'd really need to give us some guidance on these questions. For example, I could say my DH is a league star and earns $200k plus (he isn't!) but that wouldn't help you unless your DH is awesome at league.

Also, and just curious: are you interested in what WE do too? I'm still TTC so am working full time in an interesting job with good pay - however you need about four years of Uni to get into it, do probably not an option your DH wants to consider with a family to support while training.
    My Dp is totally unsure of what he wants to do, he wants something less physical (ATM he drives a forklift alot and has a sore back)
    He is doing some logistic stuff at work and he enjoys that and is good at it.
    He is leaning towards looking into becoming an occupational health and safety officer.

He has been at the same place for 12 years, being storeman, forktruck driver, running the yard he is in.

He considered working in the mines but doesn't want to be away from the kids at all.
    He wants to work mon- fri no more weekend work. (he thought real estate but that wuld be too much weekend work)

He also thinks he would make a good sales rep.

The reason i was asking how much people earned with what job is because the next line of work he gets into has to pay enough for us to continue paying our mortgage.

Youv'e all given me some food for thought though so thankyou all for responding.