+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 136
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,969
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked
    240
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find this thread a little distasteful. It seems to be more about bragging about how much peoples husbands and partners make than about careers advice.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Witchypoo For This Useful Post:

    Cherry18Bloss  (27-02-2012),earthfairy  (27-02-2012),hopefulmama2b  (27-02-2012),Mammytobe  (27-02-2012)

  3. #102
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Entrance North NSW
    Posts
    450
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked
    119
    Reviews
    0
    Mine is a fridge mechanic by trade and they can earn some good money however you need to do an apprenticeship and work your way up. My husband is a manager in fridge/ac now and is very fortunate in his income.

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Blue Mountains
    Posts
    267
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked
    115
    Reviews
    25
    My hubby is a construction safety manager and is on a little over 250k a year.
    I strongly recommend getting your hubby to consider safety. The base wage for entry into this field is around 70k and my hubby has gone up from that to where he is now in a little over 5 years.
    All it requires is a cert 4 in safety and then bobs your uncle. Good luck with the changes about to take place in your family

  5. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    280
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked
    57
    Reviews
    0
    Back to the original questioner: what does your DH like to do? What is he good at? How long and how much money is he prepared to put into retraining? Is he prepared to do a boring job for good money? How about a dangerous job? How about being away from home?

    To get advice you'd really need to give us some guidance on these questions. For example, I could say my DH is a league star and earns $200k plus (he isn't!) but that wouldn't help you unless your DH is awesome at league.

    Also, and just curious: are you interested in what WE do too? I'm still TTC so am working full time in an interesting job with good pay - however you need about four years of Uni to get into it, do probably not an option your DH wants to consider with a family to support while training.

  6. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    280
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked
    57
    Reviews
    0
    Whoops, my apologies, you DID ask what we do too. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

  7. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaFour View Post
    DP is a labourer and earns $38,000 a year. After seeing this thread I have told him that he is definitely in the wrong field
    Nah... Labourer (and any blue collar) men look hotter in their uniforms than men in suits anyway! IMO.

    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

  8. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Just wanted to add after reading everyone's posts that after tax my dh gets $100k. His previous employment he had shift work and a lot more stress and got paid so much less, doesn't make sense sometimes! in saying that dh did the hard yards to get where he is. We have also been in the situation of struggling and earning $40k and although some have said money doesn't buy happiness i personally don't understand this concept. certainly makes life easier and makes us happy
    What ya mean u don't understand this concept? We earn $50 combined... We're perfectly happy. I can't imagine I'd be any happier earning more money.. Mind you, im a stressless person, I don't stress.. About anything.. Ever! Truly I don't. So for us, I just doesn't matter how much we earn, as long as we have time together, im not phased by material stuff.

    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

    Cherry18Bloss  (27-02-2012)

  10. #108
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    28
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Nah... Labourer (and any blue collar) men look hotter in their uniforms than men in suits anyway! IMO.

    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Lol, totally agree. Give me a tradie any day!!!

  11. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    64
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by karisha View Post
    My hubby is a construction safety manager and is on a little over 250k a year.
    I strongly recommend getting your hubby to consider safety. The base wage for entry into this field is around 70k and my hubby has gone up from that to where he is now in a little over 5 years.
    All it requires is a cert 4 in safety and then bobs your uncle. Good luck with the changes about to take place in your family
    Did your hubby study safety at Tafe ?

  12. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    64
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Back to the original questioner: what does your DH like to do? What is he good at? How long and how much money is he prepared to put into retraining? Is he prepared to do a boring job for good money? How about a dangerous job? How about being away from home?

    To get advice you'd really need to give us some guidance on these questions. For example, I could say my DH is a league star and earns $200k plus (he isn't!) but that wouldn't help you unless your DH is awesome at league.

    Also, and just curious: are you interested in what WE do too? I'm still TTC so am working full time in an interesting job with good pay - however you need about four years of Uni to get into it, do probably not an option your DH wants to consider with a family to support while training.
    My Dp is totally unsure of what he wants to do, he wants something less physical (ATM he drives a forklift alot and has a sore back)
    He is doing some logistic stuff at work and he enjoys that and is good at it.
    He is leaning towards looking into becoming an occupational health and safety officer.

    He has been at the same place for 12 years, being storeman, forktruck driver, running the yard he is in.

    He considered working in the mines but doesn't want to be away from the kids at all.
    He wants to work mon- fri no more weekend work. (he thought real estate but that wuld be too much weekend work)

    He also thinks he would make a good sales rep.

    The reason i was asking how much people earned with what job is because the next line of work he gets into has to pay enough for us to continue paying our mortgage.

    Youv'e all given me some food for thought though so thankyou all for responding.


 

Similar Threads

  1. How much do bank staff earn in qld?
    By webby in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 17:57
  2. Working woman have to work 64 days more per year to earn the same as a man
    By WorkingClassMum in forum Working Hubbers - Employed
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-09-2012, 20:08
  3. Capacity to earn?
    By HugsBunny in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 15:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Super soft, fun prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton plus non-toxic wooden toys. • Hypoallergenic - perfect for eczema relief • Everything needed to shop for a baby shower • 10% off + FREE gift with purchase. Use code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months (Oct-Mar). Our indoor centre at Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!