+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy I know it isn't wrong...so why am I feeling so guilty?

It's DS2's 2nd birthday today, it should be a happy day but it isn't DH is working away until late tuesday. DH was pretty upset he was going to miss DS2's birthday so we decided that we would just have his birthday when DH is home (Wednesday), it all sounds good on paper but today I'm feeling awful that it his birthday but I can't say anything (although I did whisper a little "Happy Birthday Sweetheart" in his ear when I was changing his nappy this morning). DS1 & DD don't know today is his birthday and we don't want them to because of them associating DH not being home for special occasions. I have this awful guilt hanging over my head today, that on top of everything else going on and I am just so tired of DH being away

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So many .

I think you are doing the right thing and totally get how you're feeling. We've done that when our first DD was very little, DH is gone by 5am and not home until 9pm 7days a week during summer and of course her birthday is the 2nd of Jan so he has missed a few of them but before she was able to remember we'd just hold off until he had a chance to be there to spoil her.

Doesn't make you feel any better on the day but will when you are all together again.

Have some more .

Sam

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-SammiAnn For This Useful Post:

Ready To Run  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awww huge

I think what you are doing I actually a wonderful act for your family and when your DH is back and you guys get to celebrate as a family, im sure you will feel better knowing you got to share this moment.

I can imagine how guilty you feel to your DS but as he doesn't understand, he doesn't know that anything is amiss.

And look at it this way, when we get older, sometimes for lots and lots of reasons, it's not always doable to celebrate birthdays on the actual day. As long as it's celebrated, I think that's all that matters. The date on which you actually celebrate is just a technicality.

Also, if you want to do something special for him but not make a big birthday fuss as your DH isnt there yet, why don't you treat your kids to a special dinner like their fav take out or buy/make a yummy cake/treat for dessert. Dont tell them it's for his birthday but just because you love them and they'll think all they're Christmases have come at once.

•Sent from my iPhone•

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FloatingFairy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys - I really needed those

That's a great idea to treat the kids tonight and not say anything. I might grab a DVD, make pizza's and a cheese cake (not alot of choice here for take away, so homemade take away it is )

Thankyou so much

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ready To Run For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think your doing the right thing!! If it was me in your shoes, I'd feel horribly guilty too but this way your whole family get to celebrate his special day together!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum moved Christmas once, we weren't allowed to go outside and play with anyone for three days! I'm amazed she kept that one quiet!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to speckled For This Useful Post:

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds lovely! Enjoy your 'special' dinner .

Sam