+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you all for replying. I didn't expect a response, just wanted to put it out there so my DH and I are really surprised and grateful for your concern. I'm not too fussed about the public outing by the nurse. It was really interesting being on the other side of the fence, so to speak. It's changed me but in a good way.

As for birthing in the ward, I'll be moved when the time comes as they don't have the facilities to cope with a baby. Hopefully, I'll be out by then, though. I get formally assessed Monday. It's a voluntary committal in that I've signed myself in but the time is compulsory. First up it's a fortnight then reassessment with more time possible after that, depending how I go.

I managed to get three hours' sleep last night, hit a flat patch where I was up and wide eyed and then got another hour in. They did give me medication but I fought it (involuntarily) and so it didn't do what it was supposed to do.
    They wanted to give a hit of some harder stuff but I said not until I see the psychiatrist. The first lot zonked me out a bit. DH was allowed to stay on the premises after visiting hours to help me get to sleep which was a huge help. He has been a great support. He runs through affirmations and breathing exercises, especially when I feel an attack coming on. I notice with sadness that the other women there either don't get visits or their partners treat them with distance or disdain. They are simply there on their own to fight whatever they need to fight.

Anyway, I'll be seeing a psych, social worker and someone else in a formal setting tomorrow so I'll know more about what will be happening then.

In the meantime, I say thanks again for the wonderful support. I think I am where I need to be right now.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (26-02-2012),aprileviesmum  (26-02-2012),Azurial  (01-03-2012),BaronessM  (26-02-2012),glowingjoh  (07-03-2012),laurea  (26-02-2012),Lucy in the Sky  (26-02-2012),MuminMind  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    glad to hear you got a few hours last night, and i'm so glad your hubby is there with you each step of the way.
    you are definately where you need to be and just take each hour, each day at a time. i'm sure the psych can help you retrain your mind into the right sleeping patterns.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default *Update 2 March 2012

Hi everyone. Thought I'd pop in for a wee update. It's looking like Bipolar Affective Disorder but I'm in for another week of observation before a definitive diagnosis is made.

Hooray for Seroquel. This really helped me sleep and the anxiety is at bay for now.

Also, bub is being wrapped and is in a ten hour sleeping pattern. So much for the GP telling me that 6 hours a night was 'alright'. I've had it with GPs.

Anyway, can't stay on long so I shall leave it here. Thank you again for your ongoing support. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

xxx

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

glowingjoh  (07-03-2012),ThreePeasPlease  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    Hi everyone. Thought I'd pop in for a wee update. It's looking like Bipolar Affective Disorder but I'm in for another week of observation before a definitive diagnosis is made.

Hooray for Seroquel. This really helped me sleep and the anxiety is at bay for now.

Also, bub is being wrapped and is in a ten hour sleeping pattern. So much for the GP telling me that 6 hours a night was 'alright'. I've had it with GPs.

Anyway, can't stay on long so I shall leave it here. Thank you again for your ongoing support. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

xxx

yep seroquel is awesome and helps so much as for bipolar medications I'm on olanzipine but use to be on sodium valproate. it works really well.

good luck honey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm glad to hear you are getting everything under control.

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    great news.
    you are amazing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask, do you suffer from sleep deprivation/insomnia usually?
    Is it pregnancy related or have you always had it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask, do you suffer from sleep deprivation/insomnia usually?
    I have suffered from insomnia in the past but never sleep deprivation. (Insomnia is considered broken sleep which I have had from time to time and of inconsequential value in that I have always caught up the following day etc).

I have never encountered sleep deprivation (ie no sleep at all) for any period of time let alone the days I have recently experienced. It does some seriously weird things to your brain.

Is it pregnancy related or have you always had it?
    No, I haven't always had it but I don't think it matters whether I have or not. At this stage, only a Psych can tell me what it is and whether it's pregnancy related and I'll be getting an evaluation this week. I have had a few interviews and tests now so hopefully I'll be able to get a grasp on what has been happening to me. A definitive label will give me what I hope will be strategies to combat this affliction.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am ready to come home now as the drug regime has kicked in and my sleep patterns are now steadying. But I realise I have to remain patient and see out this out to the end. Most of the nurses are great but I'm not too fond of the volunteers that come in. There are about four elderly ladies that come in a few times a week to help with various things such as serving food etc and they're a bit over familiar with you.

There was a bit of an incident the other day with a resident. I wasn't there but I was told that on this occasion there were three oldies sitting at a table 'debriefing' about various residents (eg. ...Oh little Kenny's mother's in a bad way...just look at how she neglects him.." etc) and of course who should hear but "little Kenny's mother" and she went ballistic. I don't understand why they allow volunteers with little understanding of mental illness into a psych ward. Mind you there's a lot of things I'm not understanding about a lot of things in here.

Hubby is just as perplexed as I am. But it's great to be able to have him nearby and I've actually learned quite a bit about bubby while I've been in as well so, all in all, it hasn't been too bad. I still have a ways to go but ladders are like that...one rung at a time.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

aimztar  (08-03-2012),chameleon  (05-03-2012),GluttonForPunishment  (05-03-2012),Ishtyban  (09-03-2012)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Caviar, can I just say that I thank you so much for sharing this experience. You have done so with an honesty and fragility that makes me very honoured to be reading it. I hope things continue to keep getting better for you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

glowingjoh  (07-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto the above. It can be hard sharing these things, as you well stated in your initial thread post, there can be a lot of stigma associated with MH issues, and it's very personal and vulnerable stuff. Be assured that by sharing, you have helped to break down that stigma and have prob spurred others into getting help with this issue when it's needed.

Glad to hear you've found some answers and solutions and learnt more about you and your family in the process

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (08-03-2012)