+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dyshidrotic dermatitis! HELP!

Hi All,

After googling for the past few days and not finding many Australian sites i've decided to post here and hopefully someone might have a suggestion ...

I've been diagnosed with dermatitis about 4 months ago, and slowly but surely it's become worse! red, dry flaky skin with small blisters on my hand and a few spots on my feet!
    I've never had any skin condition before and my Dr has put it down to having my hands in water or it could be that I am allergic to something. I can't recall changing anything 4 months ago and I wouldn't say that i'm overly stressed. Maybe it was the summer heat... however it hasn't been an overly warm summer this year...

I've tried sorbolene creams and cotton gloves to bed, steroid creams, fatty ointment creams and cling wrapping my hands (Dr's advice) and it feels like just about every cream available on the market. Nothing appears to be working. I'm using QV flare up cream at the moment, it appears to be a light cream which does NOT sting my hands...

Also, i'm trying some natural remedies, which seem to be helping... well at least appears to be helping. I've been using apple cider vinegar and water (diluted mix) and applying to my hands and feet.

In sheer desperation, does anyone have any suggestions, advice, Australian sites, creams available in Australia ?

Thanks,
    Kate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It was more than 20 years ago that my brother used a cream to help clear up his dyshidrotic eczema. I can't recall what it was called, but will ask him and post again if we figure it out. Pretty sure it was just a steroid to reduce the inflammation.

Both he and I had it. Mine just caused massive "blisters" or separation of skin layers on my feet, most noticeable when my soles turned white after being in water. Mine was painless. His resulted in large cracks on his feet and hands, massive redness and flaking of skin. His was painful.

I'm curious about why you're trying creams like sorbolene and glad wrap and everything. Wouldn't that keep your hands moist when you're trying to dry them out?
    Dys = bad
    Hydro = water
    Hidro = sweat
    so you've got "bad water/sweat" dermatitis.

I haven't really had it since I was a kid, except for one bout about 10 years ago when I wore the one pair of latex gloves for too long one day. With the rash and intense itching I thought I'd triggered a latex allergy, but it turned out it was just the dyshidrotic issue. Meant it flared up every time I had to wash my hands, which was quite frequently in that workplace, so it took about 3 weeks for that mild case to go away.
    Last edited by felicita; 26-02-2012 at 06:22.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

kate009  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks!

Felicita,

Thanks for your reply!

I really have no idea why I currently have this flare up. My Dr has put it down to having my hands in water a lot, being a "new" mum. Which is kind of funny considering my daughter is almost 2 and I wouldn't say that i'm obsessive about cleaning... I have never had any skin conditions before other than the usual dry hands during winter.

I'm not sure what happened a few months ago, other than starting a new job, and at work they have the alcoholic hand dispensers thingies that kill bacteria, so that may have been the cause ie weakened my skin? Who knows?

I was advised by my doctor to use sorbolene and cotton gloves because my hands were so cracked and dry apparently this soothes the dry skin... It hasn't exactly worked! So I was given a range of steroid creams with little or no success so far. And from what I've read the steroid creams can make your skin layers thin from long term use...

At the moment using the apple cider vinegar is working to dry my hands out, and then I have been applying the QV cream because my hands are so dry... and if i let my hands get too dry they crack and bleed.

I was just after a few different 'natural' creams / lotions / potions that may have worked for other suffers. It's such a pain and it's unsightly looking!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no advice... just sympathy. Mine started September last year, just out of the blue and it's been on and off since then. I've never had an issue at all with skin issues, and now it is constant. It almost disappears and then flares right back up overnight! It's painful as anything... huge splits in my hands, the swollen fluidy knuckles, redness, cracking and scales, the second I touch something my hands split open some more... and it hurts and stings to touch anything or wash my hands, even just to run water over them!
    I've tried the sorbelene thing, salt water just aggravates it more, tried 4 different steroid creams of differing strengths. Nothing seems to be working!
    Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default :(

well there is some hope that it just vanishes lol

3lilmonkies Have you used any non- steroid creams that have worked even a little bit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey,
    I've tried things like bepanthum, paw paw ointment and just plain moisturisers... most of them have just flared it up worse though, and as soon as they touch the splits, you can literally see them rip further.
    I'm thinking about going into one of those health shops and seeing what they suggest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nine month bub has eczema which so far has only responded to steroid cream. I was in a chemist the other day and saw 'Caroline's Cream' - I recalled someone had mentioned it on bubhub plus I'd read an article on it. I had promised myself not to waste any more $$ on this sort of stuff! But... I bought it anyway.

Well it is the first over the counter cream which has done anything positive! I used it only in his hands as a trial and omg it has actually improved his poor little dry red fingers, they're baby soft! I'm yet to try his body and don't want to get my hopes up, but fingers are very crossed!

Might be worth your while tracking some down. Good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Babymay For This Useful Post:

kate009  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default babymay

Thank you! I got some caroline cream ( 100mls - 17.95) I'd have to say i've only been using this cream for 2 days, but i have noticed a slight change! YAY!

i've also been using the aloe vera plant, rubbing the sticky fleshy part of the pant on my skin, this has also worked! YAY! I'm going all natural here. lol

I'm also soaking my hands in oat milk now... i'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes...

Thanks again!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wow!

Hi All,

I just wanted to share... the aloe vera plant! In the past two days i've been applying the fleshy part of the aloe vera plant to my hands and i can totally see the difference! I don't have any cracks in my hands , the redness has gone down and the itchyness, well that kinda comes and goes...

I honestly can't believe that something so simple could be sooo effective.
    I guess that changing soaps, shampoos and also soaking my hands in oat milk is also helping... but yeah the aloe vera (freshly cut) from the garden applied twice a day is working wonders!!!