+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Going out at night with a 2 month old

Can I please have some advice, on the following issue:

Basically it's my husbands cousin's engagement party tonight & it is being held at his Aunties house & starts at 7.30pm.
    I am unsure whether I want to go along with my 2 month old baby.
    It is at a family home which is good but they live 45 mins away.
    7.30pm start is very late & usually his unsettled period & he goes to bed at 9pmish.
    There will be family there but also a lot of his cousins friends whom I don't know.
    Everyone will want to hold him & play with him which I feel will not be good for him at that time of night.

I feel bad to let the family down but my baby is still so young that I feel I won't enjoy the party & neither will my little boy & he is my top priority.

Should I go because it's a family affair & at a house or not?
    Thoughts please?

Anyone else go out at night with a baby so far away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In answer to your questions, I did go out with DD from when she was born onwards (she is now 20mths). But that doesn't mean that is right, or that not going is wrong.

I don't think you should feel obliged to go somewhere like that if you really don't want to, and it sounds as if you're not comfortable with the idea.

For evening things when DD was little I would just take her in her capsule and she would continue to sleep, or else put her down in a travel cot. So if that was an option it may mean you would still have a nice evening out?

Now that she's older she won't sleep if exciting things are happening, but I don't mind her having the occasional late night, and it doesn't disrupt her routine.

I would just say to do what you want to do, and not feel like you 'should' be doing anything else. Hope you get it sorted out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I went out with dd from the time she was born. In fact I found it was easier to go out with her then then to take a hyperactive energetic 2 yr old out now!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go if bub normally falls asleep in the car capsule, then put the capsule in aunty's bedroom & ask that noone wake him up. Maybe turn on a fan or radio in the room so music, people chatting... won't disturb him. I think everyone will understand. Have fun!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could always wear him in a sling during the party so others wont be able to ask for a hold. He'd probably have a great sleep jiggling about with all the white noise around.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy in the Sky For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ith my 1st kid, I would say no, as a new mum it can get stressful especially when your trying to have fun and the kid won't sleep and everyone is looking at them.

But now that I have 2, I say yes. I missed out on alot spending time at home with my first and it didn't make that much of a difference to his sleep anyway.

It's a your aunts house. You can always take your baby monitor, get him to fall asleep in one of the bedrooms and then relax a bit. Just let everyone know it's bedtime so sorry, but no more hugs tonight!

Have fun if u go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all the advice.

He is my first & I think I am still nervous about big outings late at night so I might rain check this time & try to get out a few times locally at night to see how it goes before attending a big family event.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm heading out tonight with my 4mo dd and I can't wait. Pity my 5yo is sick so my dh has to stay home. Can't wait to catch up with my extended family (it's a yearly catch up dinner tonight). But, it's less than 20 minutes drive away. I'd encourage you to go & have fun, but I suspect that the 45 minute drive would make it a bit more difficult for you. Bubs would probably be fine though. I was often surprised at how well behaved my ds (first child) was in public, despite his tendency to cry a lot at home. And if you're out wiht family & bubs cries you have plenty of people willing to hold bubs to help bring on sleep - what a lovely break!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I wouldn't go. You are a new mum and he is unsettled during that time, and you could be unsettled too! If it's a family event then everyone will over-handle him and he will get stressed and over tired and will probably be up all night crying. You will have your child in your care for many years, there will be lots of opportunities to go to things later.

My family expected me to a family event when my baby was two weeks old, and I said no. Other events have also come up, and I've also stayed in and hubby goes along or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire86 View Post
    Can I please have some advice, on the following issue:

Basically it's my husbands cousin's engagement party tonight & it is being held at his Aunties house & starts at 7.30pm.
    I am unsure whether I want to go along with my 2 month old baby.
    It is at a family home which is good but they live 45 mins away.
    7.30pm start is very late & usually his unsettled period & he goes to bed at 9pmish.
    There will be family there but also a lot of his cousins friends whom I don't know.
    Everyone will want to hold him & play with him which I feel will not be good for him at that time of night.

I feel bad to let the family down but my baby is still so young that I feel I won't enjoy the party & neither will my little boy & he is my top priority.

Should I go because it's a family affair & at a house or not?
    Thoughts please?

Anyone else go out at night with a baby so far away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    With a baby this young I think you have to do whatever feels right to you and trust that your family will understand. Personally, from when our bub was around 1 1/2 months until just after 6 months we went out to see friends for dinner, etc at least 3-4 times a week. At that age, she would just sleep in the hugabub or ergo on DP or i and not get at all over stimulated while we got some adult conversation. After 6 months she was too alert to do that anymore and I miss the freedom we had then.