+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Really need some advice & top tips for studying

Hi everyone,Am very flat at the moment and need some 'you can do it' types of encouragement, plus some tips on how to manage your study, home life balance.I'm starting a bachelor of midwifery this year and my uni is 1.5 hours travel each way, plus i have a dd who is 3, and a husband that works 2 jobs. I want to study and i want to do well but i just feel like sh!t because of knowing uni will be so full on.. i got lost just getting there the other day and was late, am all emotional about dd being at childcare for the 1st time, i cant even read my timetable, the actual uni was like maze i didnt know which building was which or where to go, and the main course coordinator seemed very unapproachable when we all started asking for an explanation about how to read the timetable (its like a crypyic map) she snapped at us to just email her about it. I was so exciting to start and now i just feel like im drowning and we havent even started real classes yet Any words of wisdom for me?

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    starting uni is such a scary thing, & if you have a family ontop of it is even harder.

I am currently back at uni after an 11 yr break, but doing it via distance.

What I have found works for me is the thought that you are going to give your child the gift of watching you be the best person you can be, by showing them that you can do it you are allowing them to see that they can do whatever they set their mind to.

Its not forever & as long as you relish the moments you have with your child you will not miss a thing.

I also found w regard to studying taking copious amounts of notes helped tremendously.

Good luck & you CAN do it.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Persevere! It will get better. Is this your first time at Uni?

Starting a course is like starting a new job. First couple of weeks you feel like you'll never get the hang of it, then it all falls into place. And it WILL all fall into place.

Take one day at a time. Do the readings, late at night if you have to. Ask questions, even of you think they are stupid ones, bc guaranteed at least one other person is thinking the same thing. Use the Uni facilities, they are there to support you.

And try to enjoy it! You will soon. Uni is wonderful, I loved it so much I did two degrees. The second one I did by distance ed while working ft with a baby so it can be done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok first things first, BREATHE.
    You CAN do this

How many units are you doing? Full course load?

1. Organisation is the key to surviving Uni.
    The most important unit to keep on top of is the Human Biology. I did a lot of study on my human bio units, which were first and second semester of my nursing degree and it paid off throughout my entire degree. It's very important to keep one week ahead in the bio units. So this week when you attend the lecture and the tutorial, you will have already done the readings and the questions so you will know what to ask about.

2. In my introductory units (not human bio) I would always read the abstract/intro and then the conclusion/summary of the readings. It will save you a lot of time, while also still getting the gist of the readings.

3. Spend some time this weekend going through your unit outlines and fill into your diary when assignments, questions, activities are due. Two weeks before an assignment is due, make sure you write into your diary "DRAFT due". It will help you to keep on top of assignments without having to pull all nighters the night before due date.

4. Home life balance is an elusive thing. I work 4 days a week, have two little girls, a DH and am about to start a post-grad diploma, so "balance" is about to become even more elusive! When it becomes overwhelming, just take it moment by moment and know that the first 3 months of any new job or study is hard because of new routines. Everything WILL settle down. Just ride it out

Is it possible to do some of the intro units externally? It might mean that you don't have to do that 3 hour round trip one day per week?

But ultimately, you CAN do this. You will love it and you WILL do well

Thanks
    Reviews
    My tips are:
    *get a good orientation. It sounds like you're still confused by your timetable. Most uni's have a student support office where there are people paid to answer these sort of questions, if your uni has one make use of it (while they're at it get them to show you how to navigate your student page- email, enrollment, assignment submission, etc). Also, most uni libraries run orientation to show people how to search electronic and physical collections, I'd recommend this if you're not confident.
    *break work up into manageable chunks. When I get an assignment I give myself a few days to a week to find all the journal articles etc I need then divide the number of words I have to write by the number if weeks or days I have to write it. If I am not making my target word count each day/week then I either take some time off of work (or in your case it might be use additional child care) or ask for an extension in advance. A similar approach can be used when studying for a test.
    *Start assessable items straight away. Even if it's just starting a new word document with headings like introduction, findings, discussion, conclusion (or whatever is relevant for the assignment) with the percentages each section is worth and jot some ideas or sentences under some of the headings. The act of starting is often the hardest, once you start you'll find that most times you're actually willing to work on it for a while.

Believe in yourself you can definitely do it! People generally don't make it through by being smart, it's people that slowly and diligently chip away at things that make it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nomes83 For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone i really feel better. Just organised home life by doing a budget and nutted out my timetable. Now i just need to find out what to pre read, and take a few breaths!!