+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to add, yes you can walk around with the syntocin drip. And you can have it turned off, up the dosage etc as you go.

I had a stretch and sweep done a few days before I went into labour. Have you considered this? Also me and dh dtd and went into labour an hour afterwards, so I think these 2 things helped me get into labour spontaneously.

Because in labour the whole thing can be a blur etc I found it really good that my dh knew what my wishes were for the birth. Obviously not everyone gets their birth to plan etc. my birth plan was not referred to once, preferred to see how I felt as I went along.

Good luck! 2 days ain't long!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good luck with your calm birth, just remember if you are given syntocinin its just an aide to get your muscles working to help bring your baby out. If you remain positive about all possible outcomes then you will be able to do it! I did calm birth and it worked both times, little tip though is have some mantras or breathing instructions typed out on an a4 so your partner can remind you, as when the goin gets though and you feel like your loosin it its good to have these gentle reminders!

Sending Cam Birth vibes your way! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say if you can hold off on induction try... I went 41+6 on DS and my midwife was going to let me wait 42+2 but she did make me have a scan at 41+3 to cgeck bub fluid levels and placenta!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you,
    yes i have 'quotes' for DH tp read to me, things i think i may want to hear at the time.

Yes i had a sweep but inside of cervix was still hard and she tried to get finger in but could not do i real hard core sweep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went into labour naturally but had to have syntocin in the end. I did hypnobirthing (same as Calm Birth I think) for most of it combined with the gas and TENS but I did need help near the end. I started with pethadine but that didn't help, so when the doctor told me they needed to up the syntocin he recommended an epidural and I agreed. Best decision ever! I enjoyed the birth immensely after I had the epidural.

Go in with an open mind as you really don't know what it will be like for you (nobody else's experience is the same as yours). I was dead against having drugs but they were a godsend in the end.

Good luck! You're going to meet your little miracle soon, however you end up birthing him/her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my son i went to 41+2 and went into labour naturally, but it was long and horrible. I was unwell with high BP and ended up stuck in a bed. He was born eventually via ventouse, but we had some complications from the epidural

With my daughter I was induced at 38+3 as there were some concerns about fluid levels and her growth. Because of these concerns there was more need for monitoring, whereas a regular induction they are more likely to let you go without monitoring.

I used a lot of techniques like visualisation and just distraction, laughing and chatting with hubby. I kept quite active and wandered around with my drip and monitor, bounced on the fit ball

They broke my waters and started the drip at 8, i was on the maximum dose. the wheels fell off at about 4pm when i got a migraine and the midwives freaked out a bit, and I had to get in the bed and have the monitor on constantly. I was checked and told I was only 4cm and I freaked out! Get this baby out! I want drugs, I want a caesarian! arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Anyways, after an epi that didnt work, and vomiting all over myself. My beautiful girl was born at 5.46pm! less than 2 hours after being told I was only 4cm

SO what I want to say is that stay focussed on what you want, I lost my focus and allowed myself to feel the pain. I think if I hadnt got the migraine and ended up in the bed, i would have been able to do it drug free. It was actually a really great experience and I was really proud of how long I coped. If we have another i would be tempted to do it again

There is also the possibility that you will not even need the drip. Some people simply the gel or breaking the waters is enough to start labour.

Good luck, not long until you meet your beautiful baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone. I dont feel a thing, not one contraction not one bit of pain... agghhhh. no hope that by body will get going on its own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 41 + 3 by having my waters broken first before being hooked up to the drip. I was connected to monitors from the start which made movement tricky but still possible. I actually found the main thing that stopped me from moving was the fact that my waters kept gushing everywhere, honestly had enough to fill an Olympic pool! Anyway, they started the drip low and increased it every 30 minutes or so. For the first 2 hours (8-10am) I felt nothing at all, really. Then for the next 2 hours (10-12pm) felt niggles so started using the TENS machine at about 12pm. By 2pm the contractions were coming thick and fast but I was managing. At about 3pm I started screaming for an epidural as I suddenly felt like I wasn't getting any break between contractions. Took ages for the anesthetist to come and during that time I did not waiver in my decision to have the epidural. Finally got it around 4pm and I was 7-8cm by then anyway. DS born at 6.15pm with the help of ventuose.

I don't regret anything about his birth. I think it was probably fairly text-book as far as 1st time induced & heavily monitored births go. DS was not in distress at any point so there was never any talk of a c-section, I consider myself lucky there though. His skin was perfect and he was a healthy 9'12. I think next time, knowing that DS was fine, I'll push my Ob to let me wait a few more days...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in a birth centre but was transferred to the delivery ward at 9cm for syntocinin as I had been in labour for ages. I don't think I had any problems with it, I was exhausted though and had to have an assisted birth with the ventouse. I had a fantastic midwife and doctor who really motivated me and helped me remember my breathing etc. I didn't have an epidural either. Good luck, you will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had syntocin with DD. apparently I jut needed a 'whiff' to get me going (my waters had broken though), so I guess they do start you off on a low dose.
    I spent an hour in the shower. They used the fetal scalp monitor thing for me which meant I wasn't strapped to the bed. They were having trouble with the ctg.

The worst part of the whole thing was having the drip in... I didn't find it more painful than natural labour, not more intense really, either. It was shorter by a mile which was wonderful, as DS labour really knocked us around, being long and complicated.

I wouldn't hesitate to have syntocin again, BUT my body was already showing signs of readiness, it was jut going a little slowly, and they wanted to get her out quickly due to being GBS positive and having had waters broken but no real contractions yet.

Good luck