+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about syntocinon PLEASE

I am 41 weeks today and going in for prostaglandin gel at 41+2.

I REALLY don’t want to have to have the syntocinon I have heard to will only put bub into distress, I won’t be able to control my breathing and my ‘calm birth’ won’t work.
    I am really scared and I wish I had asked the midwife more about it but she kept saying ‘we’re a long way off from that’ but once I go in for the gel and nothing happens then they are going to break my waters and most likely put me in the drip anyway.
    What I wanted to know.
    What is the standard dose of syntocinon ?
    Do you get a initial dose and then be allowed to see how body reacts.
    Once im on Syntonic will I have to stay on it until baby comes out?
    What are my movement restrictions ?
    Has anyone still been able to have a water birth or at least use the bath on and off when they have been induced with syntocinon
    Can I negotiate how much syntonic I have. (ask for smaller dose etc)
    I would love to hear peoples positive experiences with the drug. I am just so scared right now, thinking of running away Sunday night so that I don’t have to face a birth full of interventions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They wil give you a small dose first, then up it depending on how you're body responds.

You wil have a fetal monitor, hopefully not the whole time. I managed 8 hours of induction without pain relief by keeping active, but sadly ended up on bed with a migraine (I have always got them from hormones)

My induction was better than my naturally starting labour

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry i'll write more when I get home

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    cool thank you,

I just feel that all my preperationd to have a calm birth can be thrown out the window. In trying to relax but this is not what i wanted and i am so tense and feel tricked and manipulated to get on the induction rollercoaster of hell.

this will be my first baby and birth by the way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had two induced labours, both drips.
    First one was 4 hours I spent most of labour in the bath until delivery time.
    No drama with drip at all. Just annoying maneuvering into bath with drip in arm.
    2nd had fetal monitor on all time labour about same time, on bed whole labour, but that was more to do with high blood pressure than the drip I think.
    This time will be induced again I am not stressed about the drip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just subscribing to this because I'm in the same situation... I'm currently 42 +3 and am booked in for an induction tomorrow... Thankfully I have an awesome midwife and she said if I decide I want to leave it longer I can... (I have had 3 stretch and sweeps and am still only 1 cm)

Like yourself, my husband and I want a "calm birth" and I had all these dreams in my head of being at home in the early stages and having a nice calm water birth in the hospital... Now I'm so unsure and confused as to what to do!

I hope everything works out the way you want it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, I am in not a medical professional and don't know you or your situation, but from my experience, I would wait a bit longer and try some other ways to get things going first, look into acupuncture, stretch and sweep etc. At the very least, it'll give your body a few more days to get more ready and might mean the gel has more chance of working on its own.

If your body is not ready you will have to have the syntocinon drip (pretty common esp first time mums), and there is also more of a chance you will end up with a c/s.

Having said all that, my first was induced at 10 days over, although I had a hindwater leak just before they went to put the gel on, so I think my body was getting ready. They eft me to see if I went into labour overnight, but didn't, and broke my waters and gave me the drip the next morning. I was very restricted in what I could/couldn't do, I had the drip and the CTG, and was allowed to have a 10 min shower then had to get out- definitely no bath. Some places will allow more movement, but most have a policy that you be monitored with the CTG if induced. Of course it your choice and your right to refuse this, but they are pretty convincing! You definitely need to do your research first! They will usually start you off slowly then up the dose til the contractions are strong and regular. I think they usually keep you on it til the end.

I ended up having a good birth, did not have the epidural that was offered constantly by the idiot midwife, but did have pethidine which was awful. You CAN do it without pain relief, and skipping the epidural will give you a better chance of having a vb. My labour was about 5 hours which was a relief for me because I was really scared of a long labour. All in all I look back on it as a positive experience but I've had two kids since then- both spontaneous labours and SO much better. I f I had that labour NOW, I wouldn't be happy with it.

I think there is definitely a place for induction, but if you can avoid it, I would. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was signed up to have an induction around 38 weeks but went into spontaneous labour at 37+2.

I had an epidural and then they gave me the syntocin drip after I had been in hospital and not dilated too much. (was at 3cm for a while). The syntocin worked very effectively and my baby was delivered I think about 3-4 hours after having it. (a bit of a blur). The contractions definitely sped up and were more painful but baby was monitored closely and didn't panic/in distress. They stopped the syntocin when the pain got too much (you can tell them) but in my case they decided for me - I think they could tell by my face how much it hurt - and thought it was cruel keeping it going considering my epidural was patchy and was wearing off (could still feel contractions).

I would not hesitate to get it again. I too was scared when they spoke about it discussing induction etc. but I believe it helped get me to the finish line.
    Last edited by Mummy2MissA; 25-02-2012 at 11:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ive had one induction due to high blood preasure and it wasnt to bad i mean my movements were restricted a bit but i was allowed to move about and went to the toilet when i needed it wasnt the worst birth i have had. mine lasted 9 hours and it was pretty good,and my husband was allowed to " deliver the baby" upon our request and was given the honour of having that written on the record of birth. for me the worst part was actually when my body continued having contractions after the baby was born for up to 2 days after though even they eased off after the first half of the first day... and im sure not every one gets them that was just my experience with it. i used only the gas for my induction. at the time of induction i was already 3cm dilated so was given the choice to procede with the induction or wait for spontaneous. i agree with a pp if given a choice and there isnt a medical need for induction your allowed to refuse them and have the calm birth your after.best wishes to you
    Last edited by deany; 25-02-2012 at 11:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you everyone for replys. And good luck to those also being induced. I for the life of me will not be strapped to the bed... if they want to steep up my labour by making me sit in bed then they have another thing coming and i will refure !!!!!! My midwife said it all depends on midwife at the time and there are a few who will let me bath. I just hope i can get the correct midwife to suit my needs.