+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Exclamation Is anybody here or their partner's an electrician?

Our 5yo Franke oven has stopped heating when the oven is set to cook as fanforced. It works as a grill still so apparently we need to replace the fan forced element. The oven is hardwired in with a breaker thingy that can be switched off in the meter box. The element itself looks relatively easy to change over but I was wondering if you're meant to have that kind of thing done my an electrician? Any help would be appreciated, I just didn't want to call an electrician and have them think we were weirdos for not doing it ourselves... I mean what if they're like light bulbs and anyone can do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump!

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DF is a qualified, but not practising, electrician. He is playing golf at the mo so will ask him when he gets home later

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Made in England For This Useful Post:

Urban Tumbleweed  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much!

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DF here.

I'd love to say its as easy as the light bulb process, and there is a chance it may be, but there is more of a chance that it isn't. Also without looking at the specific unit I couldn't really give you too much advice on what to do.

My advice is though, call an electrician, it will only cost you an hour of their time plus the new part itself.

Get a price on the part that needs replacing first. We had a stovetop element fail a couple of years ago and it was a quarter of the price of a new oven/stovetop unit, so we just got a new unit.

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to try and help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Made in England For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Tumbleweed View Post
    Our 5yo Franke oven has stopped heating when the oven is set to cook as fanforced. It works as a grill still so apparently we need to replace the fan forced element. The oven is hardwired in with a breaker thingy that can be switched off in the meter box. The element itself looks relatively easy to change over but I was wondering if you're meant to have that kind of thing done my an electrician? Any help would be appreciated, I just didn't want to call an electrician and have them think we were weirdos for not doing it ourselves... I mean what if they're like light bulbs and anyone can do it
    Just FYI - Ours has gone twice and took the electrician about 10 mins to fit.. Part was $80 though so the bill was about $150 each time..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou both! I will call an electrician next week and get it done properly