+ Reply to Thread
    Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default A lesson in trusting your intuition

I bf my DS for almost 2.5 years, stopping about 2 months before my DD was born. I had the usual probs with DS - a few bouts of mastitis, an oversupply and a few bites, but nothing very serious. I was so confident about feeding DD but from the get-go it was a struggle. She could only *just* latch on and would always slip off. I fed her every half hour or so for weeks, gradually moving to eevery hour and a half at 5 months when she started solids. She would scream the house down. She was on mylanta and loses for reflux, had terrible wind, I cut dairy from my diet which helped a little.. But I always said I would've surprised if we made it to 12 months. I have had thrush on my nipples more times than I care to remember, am constantly being bitten, lots of pain. If she ever had EBM from a bottle she would guzzle it and be so happy. If I had a boob and a bottle next to each other, she would choose the bottle. 13 months on and we have nutted it out (but she still bites) and we are still going.
    When she was about a week old, I asked the midwife to check her for tongue tie. She said she was fine.
    At our 6 week check up, I asked the GP to check her for tongue tie. Again, I was told she was fine. I had been convinced this was the issue and walked away devastated! But onwards we plodded.
    Now, 13 months old and a trip to the chiropractor for something unrelated and guess what!? Chiro checks her mouth and she is tongue-tied. He also has a problem with the frenulum at the top (near top teeth.) I'm waiting for the speech pathologist to call me back so we can consult with her and have it treated.
    I am so angry!
    That is all. Trust your instincts. Get a 3rd, 4th, 5th opinion if you need to! I wish I had

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-02-2012),MuminMind  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had tongue-tie, I had major issues bf him after successfully bf my first 2. I'd never heard of it but 2 different LC noticed it but didn't suggest it could be causing the problems- bf him was excruciating! I casually mentioned it to a mum at school who said her son had the same problem and had it snipped, so I rang the ABA and they gave me the details of some drs who do it. At 6-7 weeks old I took him to see her (she's a LC/GP) and she said its a posterior tongue-tie, I think meaning the frenulum isn't joined to the tip of his tongue but was too short to allow him to feed properly, a d that was prob why the LC didn't think it was an issue. She snipped it and things improved straight away, and then slowly even more so over the next couple of weeks. I suspect the frenulum on his top lip is a bit short too as he never really had the top lip curled as much as most bf babies do, you know the 'special k lips'.

I didn't know it was tongue-tie coz I'd never heard of it, but I was like you, I KNEW there was something stopping him from feeding properly, but kind of just you told we both had to learn etc, it was so stressful!

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    So glad to hear it was resolved !. It sounds like DDs Is the same as your DS' as she can poke her tongue out a little but still struggles (probably why it was never picked up also.) The top frenulum is more of a problem on DD I think, though chiro didn't go much into it. She has a gap between her teeth and she has a "kooky smile" we call it as her top lip can't stretch properly.