+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default FF in BF section

This week I've read about ten posts from people who FF about how great their lives became when switching to formula, or their baby being so happy once on formula, insinuating formula is the way to go etc in the BREASTFEEDING section all aimed towards mother's struggling but NOWHERE mentioning that they want to give up.

I get it if they are saying they want support in giving up but seriously I think people who have nothing supportive or constructive to add re Breastfeeding need to stop posting.
    Yes this will turn into a sh!t fight but it's really bugging me because I know what it's like to struggle. And if I read one more time "breastfeeding was hell for me, I switched to formula and my baby was so happy and great" well guess what, breastfeeding was hell for me but I chose (as these women are chosing by seeking help to continue bf) to keep going and I have a very happy healthy little girl too.

Am I wrong to think people should actually read the op and respond accordingly in the bf section? (and any other section!)

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-02-2012),MyLittleLilacTree  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Did you report it?
    I think also, that when people are on phones they can't see what section a thread is in (? I post from my pooter, so I could be making that up)

ETA I understand where you're coming from, OP I'm a total lactivist myself xxx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Izy  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I understand what your saying but bf also post like that in the ff section
    Same with cs in the vb section and vb in the cs etc etc

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (25-02-2012),Boost  (24-02-2012),tormyxxx  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Did you report it?
    I think also, that when people are on phones they can't see what section a thread is in (? I post from my pooter, so I could be making that up)
    It's true I used to post in inappropriate threads all the time when using the mobile site as I choose new post

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (24-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think anyone is doing it intentionally. But when someone is asking for encouragement to cotinue bf it's totally out of line and can be detrimental to the op.

I didn't know it was report worthy. If it is then I'll definitely report it but like I said I don't think it's done in a malicious way it's just completely innappropriate.

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's annoying to me too.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand what you're saying, but I see the other side too. I've been both a breast feeder who needed encouragement to push through, and a breast feeder who needed "permission" to let go.

It's hard to make the call sometimes, but I think most people's hearts are in the right place and just want to help.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (25-02-2012),Guest654  (25-02-2012),Purple Lily  (24-02-2012),SugarSkull  (24-02-2012)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As annoying as it is, I think most people would think they were helping with these posts. Some times a person may be waiting for 'permission' to give up BFing, and that's all someone is offering when suggesting an alternative. I don't think every post is done with malice to try and undermine BFing, I'm sure the majority of them would be either accidental (not knowing what section the thread is in) or with best intentions to help. But if it's becoming a big issue and causing offense, maybe you need to consider reporting the posts.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (25-02-2012),Purple Lily  (24-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It happens in all the forums.

I've seen plenty of 'babies have the right to breast milk', 'you should at least try', 'you gave up too easily', 'I think you need to try harder', 'I would never feed MY child formula' posts in the FFing section.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (25-02-2012),tormyxxx  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's bad to say but some women want to hear that it's okay to let go. I think it's great that they're getting encouragement to continue breastfeeding, as well as having somebody say "it's okay to give up."
    I think everybody's situation is different when it comes to breastfeeding. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for breastfeeding as there are many benefits for both mother and child.
    I was against FF & had my heart set on BF but I didn't have the strength to push on with it. At that time, I needed to hear both sides. I had people telling me to push on through & continue because they knew how badly I wanted to do it & then I had people telling me that it was okay if I couldn't do it and it was okay to FF.
    At the end of the day, the person will take the advice they like and dismiss the advice they don't agree with.
    Personally, I wasn't in the right place mentally to push on with breastfeeding. Switching to formula was the best decision for me and my family. With my next baby, I'll definitely be doing everything I can
    To breastfeed for as long as possible.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (25-02-2012)