+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Completely closed cervix

Just wondering has anyone gone full term and their cervix has remained fully closed?

I was 41+5 weeks when I went to be induced, the doctor did an internal and said my cervix was completely closed. He dislodged my mucous plug, then the next morning placed prostaglandin gel on my cervix, which caused it to dilate 1-2cm where he then broke my waters. However, after 3.5 hours I stopped dilating at 5cm which put my baby into distress and called for an emergency c-section.

My doctor couldn't explain why my cervix refused to open even though my baby had been fully engaged, and said that if I was to have another baby there was no way to determine if it would happen again. If anyone has been in a similar situation and could give me advice/suggestions on why my cervix may have remained closed it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep my cerviix remained closed with both until well into induction stages, but my babies never engaged either. But then during the active labour stage (I think that is what it is called) everything happened for me and babies arrived. Sorry no medical advice - just a mum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just because your cervix is closde doesnt mean you wont go into labour anytime, it just means it's unlikely for an induction to succeed.

I've had two inductions and two spontaneous labours, for both spontaneous labours I was closed the day before and the doctor said no way I'd go into labour.

For my second induction I was closed, then the next day went to be induced and I'd dilated to 3-4 cm overnight.

For my fourth labour I was only 2cm dilated after 33 hours of contractions, and then dilated all the way in the last 2 hours!

You can't always tell what's going to happen by your cervix!

It is important to know though that a closed cervix does mean an induction will be harder going and far more likely to end in c-section (have a look at the bishop score)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At term my sister was leaking amniotic fluid with each contraction while her cervix remained closed.

In her case she thinks her scoliosis may have been a contributing factor. She thinks bubs lined himself up with her ribcage and not with her hips and therefore failed to put any pressure on cervix from above so it didn't know bubs was ready. (Pure speculation, but no-one else provided any answers for her.)

She had a caesar.