+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Worried about twins with IUGR :(

I'm really worried about the 16wk-old identical twins my SIL is carrying - they've just been told they've both got severe intra-uterine growth restriction. Even their obstetrician is worried. Has anyone else experienced this?

My SIL has been advised to rest up, and they've got the best possible obstetric care, but they've had their backs against it right from the get-go (they've encountered a number of problems and obstacles already) and I just wish they could get a break. It's so heartbreaking to watch my little brother and his wife go through this and I wish there'd be a happy ending.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I haven't been through this. But I do have twins, and I have friends who have children with IUGR.....

My heart aches for your brother and SIL...

Would you have an objection to me keeping them in prayer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the contrary - that's really lovely of you and what my brother and his wife have asked us to do. Thank you. It's pretty much all we can do, unfortunately.

Are your friends' kids OK?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a happy ending for you!

I have 6 month old twins, who are doing wonderfully. We conceived via a long IVF journey, I was admitted to hospital at 19 weeks, and was there untill the girls were born, due to other complications and was told then that one if the bubs was IUGR, they never used the word severe, but we had other things to worry about! The complications were related to the IUGR so I can go into that if you want.

We had fortnightly growth scans and at 31 weeks it showed that the IUGR bub hadn't grown since the 29 week growth scan, possibly stopped growing at 28 weeks. I was booked in for a C section for 5 days later, 32 weeks- breech and they didn't think the little one would tolerate a labor, and had CTG monitoring 4 x day, had previously been daily. My membranes ruptured the next day and so the C section was preformed and my girls were born at 31 weeks.

The little one required CPAP, a little breathing support, for 4 days, they thought at one stage she might need to be put on a ventilator but narrowly missed out. Her weight was below the 3rd percentile at birth, she is now between the 3rd and 10th percentile! They came home before their due date, and have been very well, no developmental issues, they are doing everything a 4 month old should be.

Good luck. I would be happy to go into more details of there is anything you want to know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear that you girls are well. My first little girl was iugr and born at 37.5 weeks weighing 4lb 7oz. We left hospital and she was 1.8kg. I still have a heavy heart from a lot of the things that went on with my first pregnancy so I cannot imagine what you went through. I hope that life for you and your little girls is smooth sailing now :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much girls - I'm glad there were some happy endings

My SIL is due to have her next scan next week so they'll know more then. I guess nothing we can do but keep our fingers crossed that they've had a miraculous growth spurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm
    Very interested in this topic. I'm
    Currently 14w and have been told I have severe IUGR as well. My doc thinks I will deliver at 24 weeks. I've had problems throughout the whole pregnancy as well. What state is your SIL in? I'm in Wollongong but think I will be going to royal women's hospital at rand wick to have bubs.
    I'm too praying for my little boy and will keep your SIL's twins in my prayers too. Can I just ask, has her gestational sac size always been smaller than it should have been? Mine has always been more than 2 weeks behind in growth. My placenta is apparently 'crap" as well. Also my NT blood test results were severely poor for papp-a measuring 0.07 (meant to be 1.0). Keep us updated and I'm
    Hoping your SIL makes it to at least 32 weeks xx