Closed Thread
Page 72 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    sonja: as much as i hate to admit this,,,i think this is the first time ive encountered the "my kid is more advanced than yours" thing.....i guess im starting to notice differnce in parenting styles as the kids get older eg she is a bit of a "helicopter" parent....i guess this is something u learn as well..bite ur tongue when ppl "puff thier chests"....its hard when our kids our playing as she constantly "adjudicates" little spats etc (to the point that we cant even have a convo cos she is doing it CONSTANTLY)....that always favour her kid surprisingly etc....its annoying but just another part of parenting...dealing with other parents and parenting styles....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls

Jfb - I'm going handbag shopping this weekend...I've found 3 that i like
    online so we'll see what they look like in the shop, hey might as well get a few while i can
    As for TT, I haven't even thought about it with Kade, not going to do anything until summer...with Jett we stayed at home for 2 weeks and I trained him but we didn't move out of the house. I too put him on the toilet every 1/2 hr and that seemed to work.

Hello to everyone, hope you are all staying warm....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    JFB I found it really hard when I had kids around the same age as some of my closest friends as we were all still developing our parenting styles and I guess we all "practiced" on each others kids. There was one woman in my mother's group who drove me insane bec nothing her child did was ever wrong and everything Lucy did was wrong. Needless to say we didn't stay friends for long once our kids reached 3. You find you reach a natural level with people and those you are simpatico with remain and those who drive you mental fall away. Unless you really like the parents then you see them at night without kids

Happily though it does get easier as the kids get older. I find Lucy makes friends with kids who are similar to her so there's less room for conflict. Also parents stop being at the play dates so it's my way or the highway

Thanks
    Reviews
    JFB - I agree with Sonja re TT, 1st summer after 2 is usually a good age from what I've heard, but it also depends on if they are ready. It sounds like your friend's child isn't really ready, imo. My niece started her son TT when he turned 2 last summer and he just didn't get it, so she delayed it until the end of summer and she got him trained in less than a week by staying at home, (she wasn't able to drive for a month due to having a seizure so chose an inconvenient event to be convenient for TT). I know of some kids that haven't been ready until they're 3, every kid is different and progresses in their own time. Don't stress over it now at any rate with a newborn. I also can't stand parents that compare their own kids with your own, it's just so competitive and wrong, and sometimes I have felt judged by other mum's which p!$$es me off to no end, I mean who the hell do they think they are, Jo Frost?. I don't particularly have a parenting style, just use my common sense to work things out with right from wrong, I do admit that I've taken mental notes if something another parent does looks like a good idea otherwise I would be just fumbling my way through parenthood I have got myself in a tiz sometimes when I notice some other kids are more advanced than Evie but I've had to learn to ignore it as I know she's developing normally and in her own way.

Moon - my dad is 77 but he's still farely active, pots around the yard, fixes up the house, does all the housework now, even when he retired he always 'worked' during the week around the house and yard and had the weekends 'off' as he puts it, if he was to give all this up he would whither away I reckon, so this is why I believe he should have a right to choose if he wants to do something about his prostate, not just go away and see what happens.

Grace - how you doing? still in hosy? hope you're lurking and all is well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies,

Spot - my advice is don't buy too much clothes - you'll get WAY too much as presents (hopefully still with tags on them so you can exchange at the shop to bigger sizes). I also didn't like anything tight over the boobs - my 'method' is the 2 shirt ie. loose singlet top 1st layer and another top over that so one lifts up and the other gets pulled down. Then you don't have to buy expensive mat tops and your belly stays warm and covered when in public. Worked for me...

JFB - re TT - DS1 tried about 3 times before he was ready and I guess it was a bit interesting just to observe what was going on (cause you have no idea when they are in nappies). My experience was that he'd dribble all the bl00dy time with no control at all so it was pointless. We were finally successful at 2yrs, 10months and I was amazed he'd go for ?up to 4 hours without peeing... and poos were easy cause he just knew?? Best advice I had was to downplay it all, don't get stressed and treat H like it's just normal and you've 'forgotten' to put a nappy on - clean up messes as they come and definitely wait until he's really ready. Hardest thing for me was to trust him in public but you just have to bite the bullet and be brave. We were only housebound for ?5 days.... and I REFUSE to carry a potty with me ever! I pretty quickly taught him to pee on trees too if a toilet wasn't available...
    .......BUT, you're way too busy to do any of this yet. Life is harder when they are toilet trained - nappies are great I have a 'TT in 3 days' guide if you want it - just give me your email and I'll send it.

AFM - we have our official diagnosis of autism for DS1 Suxs bad but we still love him regardless.... just wish that life could be easier for him...
    DS2 going great on formula - went 9 hours overnight last night without feeding DH and I feel like a million bucks today!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all!

Lazing around at home now. Did a bit of shopping yesterday for all the last bits and pieces. Still washing all the tiny clothes!!

Spot, mum4nay is right ... Don't buy clothes! We had a baby shower last weekend and have sooooo much stuff! That said I have 4 sisters who have gone waaaay overboard.
    People have been so generous and excited for us, And our little miracle! He might be a little bit spoilt already!

So 3 and a half weeks til due date ..... Omg .... Still can't believe it and just a bit overwhelmed!
    Excited & nervous.

Moon, I hope you get a good second opinion, I hate that they brush off older people's problems, maybe the knowing what is going on WILL help. I think doctors on the whole lack sensitivity, not all, but many.

Mum4nay, I hope the autism is mild and that over the years he is able to manage it, as a teacher I have seen the full range of autism degrees ... Some kids manage it just fine ... Good parents help

Take care everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    morning all

thanks for TT stories...i was definatyely planning to wait til this summer at a minimum.

m4n: so sorry to hear that N officially been diagnosed with Austism ...i have no doub t u and DH will be able to give him the best possible interventions..i cant imagine tho what it muts be like to get this disgnosis for ur child tho.

fiona: enjoy ur last child free days.....

Q: E is still feeding for 3.5 hrs in the evening....i can barely put her down for more than a few minites b she is grizzling and wanting to chomp on me....i cannot remember H doing this???sually have to giver her 2 lots if 30mls formula just to get her off me...last night H cracked it so i tried to put him to bed, i could hear her crying, its awful as i find i cant concentrate when she crying..annyway...i found her left in the porta cot crying while DH was watching TV!!! i had a go and then he had go and said cant he put her down and i was no i dont at this age if they are crying...fffs men are so LAZY sometimes.....anyway this ongoing feeding... is this normal....(can u guess im kinda over it )....she was also fussing a lot on my bbs last night too...she slept good but whilst feeding she was writhing and coming on and off and not latching that good..she usually feeds well at night? sometimes i wonder if she writhes in pain altho she isnt crying just sorta grunting and then often does a poo....i wonder weather she prefers a bottle as it comes out much quicker and gets shirty sometimes..dunno?

Thanks
    Reviews
    JFB - It does seem like a long time to me, but I'm not use to feeding for a long time, Evie was 15-20 mins tops and hardly every wanted the other side, however she fed every 3 hours & catnapped thru the day. Perhaps see a paed if you're worried. I'm wondering about your milk flow? do you seem to have enough? If it were me and it seemed bub was more content on formula then I'd change and save the constant stress over it. I know you mentioned you wanted the health benefits of bf but in all honesty,in my opinion, I have never noticed any difference between a bf or formula fed baby and I will add that Evie was way more sicker than my great nephew who was fed formula from birth and I bf for 6 months. The only thing I didn't like about formula when I changed over to it was how it constipated the baby, I had to find one that didn't have that affect on her. Also on the subject of poo, when bf Evie she would poo not long after starting to feed & would fuss until she did and our paed said she was suffering from lactose overload, ie too much fore milk so it was suggested to express a bit off 1st (either manually or by pump) before feeding her so she would fill up more on the hindmilk. I found this too annoying and time consuming to do in the night feeds, just didn't have the energy, but it did settle her down if I did do it.
    Did you see about the tounge tie thing?

M4N - sorry to hear about N's diagnosis, as much as you didn't want to hear it, in a way you now know and you can now try and get the best possible help you can for him. Hopefully he has a mild form.

I smell a dirty nappy coming my way...bbl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    M4N im really sorry for the news on Nathan, it must be a lot to take in. I hope he now can get the support he needs to help him through life.

JFB i TT Ash in 3 days, i used the info M4N sent me & worked around that. Ash was very ready, but we still have occassional accidents.
    As for BFing i agree with Kismet, sorry im not much help.

Fiona enjoy you & DH for the next few weeks.

Spot i found bonds onsies the best for bub in hospital, sooo exciting!

On my phone so i cant remember the rest of the thread
    All good here, we are in Perth for a few days, but Ash & i have had yet another cold you would think with all the vitamins i take i would never get sick yeh right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for that info kismet re the feeding....i do notice she is a good sucker for the first 5-10 minutes maybe 15 minutes then she REALLY slacks off so maybe she is getting too much foremilk...i hear u tho on the CBF expressing thing! still not sure about the whole evening marathon feeds tho....i was told this was cluster feeding and was good....but its tiresome. i think i might just stuff her tonight with a whole FF and see if she settles down....i can then express (in peace ) when H has gone to bed too. i didnt realise i was bit "hooked" on BFing....i worry about FF taking miuch less time so what do i do with her after a 15 minutes feed?? and also settling her if she grizzly as the boob is great for that. i would say my supply is average, i never have milk pouring out of me but her weight gain has been about 200gms per week and most feeds she seems satified and sleeps 2-3 after a feed..even my DH commented tho she seems like a feeding machine compared to H!!!

nessie: thanks for the TT info...3 days is fantastic!!! youve sold me. hope u guys are feeling better soon.
    Last edited by jfblady72; 30-05-2012 at 17:21.