+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default thyroid function during pregnancy.

has any one had an underactive thyroid during pregnancy?

what did you and your doctors do to help?

i had my second bloodt test this week to re test my thyroid function as it was a little low at my 7 week blood test.

i am now 10 weeks and 4 days...

can anyone shed some light on this topic and share your experiences???

ive googled a little bit,.... and probably shouldnt have as i am freaking myself out about it now so would really really like to hear from some other people who have experienced this...

Shortiii is offline Baby H v2.0 - Anticipating April release
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I developed hashimotos disease while pregnant with my DS.

Unfortunately wasnt diagnosed until after he was born. 20% of women develop pre/post partum thyroid issues and many resolve themselves. For some, like me it becomes a permanent thing, you have a greater chance of that if you have it during pregnancy. I have been taking thyroxine (thyroid hormone) since my DS was 5 months old and just take it every morning at least an hour before eating.

In pregnancy your thyroid normally goes a bit into overdrive because it has to supply you and the baby. You may find that being as youre only 10 weeks, bubs own thyroid hasnt kicked in yet, so might be taking extra from you. When they start producing their own thyroxine your levels might stabilise. Being a little low isn't too much of a problem, but good idea to keep an eye on it, too low can cause brain issues and thyroid issues with bub.

It's not all bad news though, as PP said, thyroid issues in pregnancy are very common, its a hormone that is so important to how almost every part of your body functions, but sounds like youre being kept an eye on and if it were to be dangerous for you or baby they would recommend you take thyroxine. Like I said they may be waiting for babies thyroid to start working, and take the pressure off yours.

Goodluck! Googling always does give you worst case scenarios, so don't do it! lol but thyroid issues are common and you're not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for your replies all!!!

i got my test results back over the phone today and they said all was normal...

they will be continuing to keep and eye on the levels though just incase...

thanks for your responses!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My personal experience: Was diagnosed hypothyroid about 2 years pre-preg. Was put on 50mcg tablets (daily).

Got pregnant and was increased to 100mcg.

Post-preg my levels were low and it's taken almost a year to figure out right dosage -150mcg.