+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Definitely talk to you agency or landlord.

We were close to kicking out tenants (who had 5 kids) because they had fallen a long way behind in rent. Out of the blue our old neighbours rang us to tell us that the tenants had broken up, the husband was quite abusive and the wife was struggling. They had a hunch we didn't know what was going on and felt we should know.

Because we knew what was happening we were able to get in touch with the wife (previously hadn't been answering calls), let her know we knew the change in her circumstances and offer support. She was relieved and so were we.

She already had a plan for catching up on the rent but had been too nervous to tell us because she figured a single mum of 5 - pregnant with 6th - wouldn't get a chance. But because we knew the background we were able to work with her so we were all happy.
    I am so glad you gave her a chance. Being a single mum with multiple children has been made so much harder than it should be because of narrow-minded prejudice. I have a perfect rental history, I am clean and I maintain an uncluttered, well maintained home. I have nice furniture, nice things and drive a well-maintained car. My kids are nicely dressed and fed good, healthy meals. So many people can't see past the multiple kids and assume I live on cigarettes, that I gamble and raise my kids in squallor and have poor money management skills. It's nice to see some understanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In all honesty she was a fantastic tenant and we were sorry to see her go. She was far better after he left, actually.

We both have an enormously high regard for people who successfully juggle multiple children and manage to get dressed each morning let alone remember to pay rent!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

laurea  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I wouldn't rely on getting housed by DOH. I was listed as having a very high priority for housing for over 2 years and never once came close to being housed. I was putting up with DV and in the end i had enough and left. I couldn't get a private rental, i couldn't get housed with a community rent scheme or supported accommodation so i ended up homeless with 2 kids. DOH didn't care about my circumstance. In the end i ended up back with the ex simply for the sake of having a roof over our heads.
    I would get in touch with your RE and let them know whats going on. Compromising a good reference or possibly being blacklisted is not worth it in this day and age with how bad the rental market is. I would seek help from a charity organisation and do what you have to, to get your rent back up to date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would also consider getting some financial advice from a financial counsellor. It is so, so important (as a pp said) to keep your rent paid and up to date. Rent should be the number 1 priority because other things such as food, clothing and even medications can be obtained much easier than accomodation. If you have to pay rent the day you get paid and then go to a charity for a food box then that is what you should do. If you need school uniforms then you can usually get those on a payment plan with the school if you are in hardship. A hospital pharmacy will fill your prescription and then bill you later (and usually have hardship programs if you still can't pay). Churches have food banks and clothing can be gotten for free from charities (St Vinnies etc will give you vouchers to use in their stores - up to 10 free items of clothing per person in your household at a time).

Rent first....always! If your rent is paid everything else will fall into place. Never put off paying rent because of debt or other bills - unpaid debts will affect your credit rating, but having bad credit is preferable to being homeless. You can access utility relief for unpaid utility bills and a lot of charities will pay your electric or gas if it's about to be shut off.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ConfettiGirl For This Useful Post:

HELPihavea2yrold!  (27-02-2012),naebie  (26-02-2012)