+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tricks and tips for getting your baby to sleep

My almost 5mo DD is a great sleeper. She self settles for her day sleeps and sleeps through from when we put her down at night until 7am on the dot.

BUT...it takes 1.5-2 hours to get her to sleep at night!

Is this just a part of having a baby? Did anyone else struggle with this? How did you figure it out? What tricks do you have to get your baby to sleep?

We have a daily routine which is a combination of Tizzy Hall and a few other ones, I just basically figured out what she was already doing and fine tuned it. She has been self settling for her day sleeps for almost 2 months, today she even went down without a peep!

But when I put her down at night in her cot she screams her head off! I cannot get her to self settle. I have to rock, pat and shush for what seems like forever. When she falls asleep I hold her for 20mins or so before putting her down, but she wakes up 5 mins later and I have to do the cycle all over again. I usually have to do this 3 times. I feed her if she seems hungry but this only puts her to sleep for a little while.

I need your help on how to help her to sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear, that sounds like such a chore

The hard thing is it could be either that she needs to go to bed earlier because she is over tired, or later because she isn't tired enough!!! Not much help am i ha ha But maybe try later for a week or so and if that doesn't help try earlier

My DD was and always has been an 8.30pm bed timer, my DS however, can't make it past 7pm. This took me a while to get used to because i kept trying to make him stay up.

Guessing you have a bedtime routine? I know with DS as soon as he has had his bath he crashes, have made the mistake of bathing him earlier for different reasons and bam he's down for the night at 5pm Ha ha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree ^^

It used to take me HOURS to get my ds to sleep but he just wasn't tired!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your responses. Yeah the whole '7 o'clock bus' thing never really worked for us, putting her to bed when she wasn't tired was just awful, had to work hard to get her to sleep that night!

Last night I found the trick to get her to sleep!!! HURRAH!!!

You know how I said she goes to sleep really well during the day but is a nightmare at night? Well my very logical DH said "If she goes to sleep when it's light, then why don't we try a night-light?". So we did and within 15 mins she was asleep, with maybe 2 grizzles, not even 1 single cry out!! It's just unbelievable! I'm speechless! It's just so simple and logical, why didn't I think of it before?

I never even thought about it, because the books tell you not to use a night-light, makes them scared of the dark blah blah blah. But DD is 5 months old now and every single night since she was born she has had trouble going to sleep at night. This is the first night in her whole history that she has gone to sleep without bawling her eyes out and getting worked up. So I'm going against the books because in our case she just needed that little bit of help. I'm sure if the experts saw our situation they would allow me the night light, because the alternative was leaving her to stress out and then rocking her to sleep anyway.

All fixed with a bit of light. How simple!

I should have figured it out though because when I had to calm her down and rock her to sleep, I would get bored standing in her dark room and come out to the dimly lit lounge room to watch some TV while I rocked. That's when she would drift off, when we were in the light again.

Thanks again for your help guys

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    the 'experts' dont know your baby. you found soething which worked, so id ignore them.
    i still boob my nearly 2yr to sleep if she needs it, and shes a grat sleeper usually!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where does your baby sleep during the day? I find that having my DS sleep in the lounge during the day in his bouncer or on his play mat while I do stuff and with the noise helps him distinguish between night and day, I don't put him in his cot. At night he associates his cot, quiet and a heart beat sound we play on his mobile with sleep time, we can put him down awake and he'll lye awake quietly and eventually drift off to sleep. DS is 10 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to say, this didn't happen instantly and he didn't always go to bed around 7/8pm, we didn't understand how people could say they put their bub to bed at a certain time, but it did eventually work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops didn't read your last post properly, good to hear you figured it out. All the best