+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scared Newbie to IVF

Hi, I'm a scared newbie to IVF (ICSI). Due to start treatment soon...

Anyone care to share any stories/info with me?

Good or bad, I want to be realistic with myself and not get my hopes up...

I was really dreaming of a natural conception an water birth.. guess thats down the toilet.. the idea of so many meds is freakin me out a lil (esp needles then p for up to 10wks). Is anyone else a lil concerned of the long term effects? Considering its only been in use for 20-25yrs..

Thanks
    Reviews
    *Bump*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I had 2 failed rounds of IVF before conceiving naturally on an off month. I know have a gorgeous 1 year old princess!

I'm not going to lie to you, it is hard, and the needles are the least of it, it's the emotional roller coaster that is toughest, plus the niggling fear that your dream will never be realised.

Get as much support as you can, whether it's on forums like this or from family and friends. Talk with your partner about what's going on, he's in this too. What ever you do, try to keep positive and resist anger and blame. Just think of this IVF journey as getting closer to your dream!

Good luck, sending you lots of baby dust.

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there

I hadn't really considered the effects of the drugs to tell you the truth haha. Didn't even cross my mind so I can't really help you with that one

I was a huge needlephobe prior to IVF but I promise it does get easier. I couldn't even look at a needle without fainting, but I can do all my own needles now. If you are concerned with them, icing the area first helps, and grab a big chunk of fat too. Doesn't hurt as much.

I was told by so many people that the first cycle doesn't always work, it's more of a test run to see how you respond to the drugs etc, so I went into it without high hopes thinking it would lessen the blow. It didn't really help with the hurt of it not working. So try not to worry if it doesn't work, but don't feel bad if you are really upset by it. That's totally normal.

Only other advice I can give is try to relax. I know that's easier said than done. But I stressed about it every cycle I had and I went crazy haha.

I found that acupuncture really helped me too. Mind you not everyone likes the idea of more needles being stuck into them. But I got my baby from the cycle I did it, so maybe that influences my opinion.

Also, pop over to the ivf boards and look for a thread for the month you are cycling or for the state you are in. You will get tonnes of support. All the ladies are wonderful and full of knowledge.

Goodluck babe. Hope you get your beautiful little baby on your first go xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Dreamin,

When I first started IVF I often thought about the long term effects of the drugs but to date there is not a lot of evidence to suggest significant negative effects. I don't think about it anymore as I want a baby and this is my only chance of making that dream come true. I could live a 'safe' life and not even try through fear but then that wouldn't really be living.

Like the other girls have said the needles are really not that bad. You think that is going to be the worst bit and at first it is really foreign (who wants to poke sharp objects into themselves????) but it gets easy. Especially if you are using an epipen.

My biggest advice is to take each phase of IVF as it comes and do not look too far in the future. Also each cycle (and hopefully you will only need 1) is different and just because something goes wrong one cycle doesn't mean it will on the next cycle. Plus if something doesn't seem right and your FS isn't really changing anything or listen to you then change clinics sooner rather than later.

Wishing you all the luck!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.

Am getting a bit worked up an emotional with things already an I haven't even started the meds...

Alot of the family believe in a religion that doesn't believe in IVF so we don't want to tell them for fear they will judge us or our baby if we have one. Does anyone else have this problem?

I am curious about acupuncture but would like to find one that maybe has some experience with fertility acupuncture.

I'm a very shy person so the thought of lots of poking an prodding down south is also upsetting me.. I'm really not comfortable with it an was even naughty with pap smears an only ever had one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You should be able to find a lot of acupuncturists with fertility experience. It seems pretty common these days.

Cant help you with the religious side of things sorry. I dont have a religious bone in my body lol. I know a few people who have had this issue though, especially in regard to family members. If you are happy to keep quiet about it then maybe thats the way to go. You wont need them judging you when you are already under enough stress.

Do you have other people you can talk to? Its always good to have someone to talk to with all this IVF stuff. Even if it is just this forum. It helped me heaps.

In regard to the poking and prodding down there, just keep in mind what the final picture is....a beautiful little baby, and that should put your mind at ease. They have seen it all hun. I dont think they care less what people vaginas look like after so many years of doing it. I only ever had an internal ultrasound to check my follicles, then another one when I got my BFP. If you do get your BFP, depending on how early they do the scan, you may be able to have an external one.

The only other time I was prodded down there was during the embryo transfer, but again, they have seen it all before, you are always given a sheet to cover yourself with, and they are so professional about it all.

And well then theres the egg pick up, but you're knocked out for that, so you wont know what they are doing down there.

Try not to worry about all the little things. Just think positive and focus on you're goal.

When are you due to start your cycle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can't help with the religious side either, but I think surely everyone would want you to be happy, and that would include god.

I doubt the drugs have any long term effects, and to be honest I don't care as they gave me my beautiful girl. It's a hard road but totally worth it.

I think everyone goes into ivf expecting it to work first time and it rarely does. Assume you have to do 4 cycles to get a baby.

The only prodding down there was uncomfortable for me but it's over now and I hardly remember it. There will be more prodding down there if you get pregnant!

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm due to start ICSI ivf in April so I get the scared part. As for te down there prodding I hate it but with having all my fertility tests including a hycosy I am sort of over it. I just focus on the image of our future with our beautiful baby. It's how I plan on getting through the needles too.

I also don't worry about the drugs. Going through anything to get to my family is worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the support everyone. It helps to know how others in this situation try to get through each part of the journey (imagining their lil love bug at the end).

I worry that I'll try this (imagining our baby) and then if we get to a point where things just aren't working and we just cant make our own lil baby that.. I dont know, I wont know how to deal with it.

If things dont work out I'm open to adoption but I dont know that my HB is. I feel I need to be able to trust that I will have my baby/babies somehow through all of this. I'd like to know that now to try to prepare myself emotionally but I really don't know that my HB would adopt...

I know I'm jumping ahead here, I really feel a bit lousy emotionally last few days an I'm not even on the meds yet.. I wonder how the moods side effect will effect me..