+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, sorry am crashing this thread, but couldn't help replying.

The best advice I got when my DS was a newborn, was to feed them until they are full everytime, because the more they eat the longer they will then go before the next feed. I aimed for at least 20 minutes, up to 40 minutes feeding time as he got a bit older. I kept him awake during a feed very gently with a few rubs on the back or foot, and a nappy change mid feed. At 2 weeks my DS was feeding pretty consistently every 4 hours.

I know this is really hard to do in the middle of the night, but a 3-4 hour sleep will make such a difference to you.

I also started a bedtime routine at 3 weeks with a feed, bath, feed and then put down to bed at 7pm. I know 3 weeks seems early, but I have done this consistently since then and now DS know exactly what to expect every night and falls asleep on his own pretty much as soon as he is put down. (well most nights anyway!)

Good Luck, it does get much easier and the weeks pass really quickly so enjoy it as much as you can.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Beatnik  (24-02-2012),Wickedly Happy  (23-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations on your new baby!!!

Starting a bedtime routine is a great idea and worked well for us - 6pm bath then feed then bed by 7pm. And putting them to bed in a dark room for their night sleep, and light for the day sleeps helps them learn day and night.

I found this book really helpful and it's not as strict as the other routine books. It says to feed on demand til 8 weeks, then slowly start to distract baby in 15 minute increments to stretch out the feeds and sleeps. No controlled crying. Our bub slept through from 9 weeks. We bottlefed so am not sure if it works with BFing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0525949593

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Beatnik  (24-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default super Nanny Services

Hi, if your baby has had a decent feed they should be able to go three hours without feeding again. If they wake after 1-2 hours they may just need to be helped back to sleep. Before you pick them up, try gently patting them. Dont forget to swaddle them so they dont startle and whack their hands around. Try gently burping or rub their backs.
    I guess i wanted to say that everytime they wake doesnt mean their hungry, especially if they were only fed an hour or so ago.
    Special care nurseries only feed the babies every 3 hours and they can be very tiny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
    Thanks everyone, I think the most thing I was most worried about was trying to get him to self settle. I guess I need to learn to go with the flow and not be so worried about routines yet, I didn't realise I was such a routine orientated person!!
    Don't worry, I am a very routine orientated person too and found it so hard in the beginning but now DS is 10 weeks and over the last few weeks he has settled into his own routine and will also drift off to sleep in his cot at night if we put him down and he's still awake. He sleeps in the lounge room in his bouncer or on his playmat during the day so he's exposed to noise and light and doesn't sleep in his cot so at night he associates sleep with his cot, a quiet room and a heartbeat sound we play on his mobile. Everyone told me it'd get better and that babies form their own routine and I just couldn't believe it, but it did end up happening. Good luck to you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am very routine based & started routine as soon as we brought her home. She was FF and we did 4 hrly feeds as encouraged by midwives in Hosp. We also had her day sleeps out in living area so that she coyld he be used to noise. All the best & congratulations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really like "the baby whisperer" book by Tracey Hogg. She talks about having a routine of eat, activity, sleep, with the feeds 2.5-3 hours apart for newborns. I have been doing this since we got home from hospital and found it works pretty well, and I am breastfeeding. I will wake my baby during the day if she has slept for 2 hours but leave her to go as long as she can sleep overnight.

We have been very lucky that our DD started sleeping through the night (8-9 hours) a week ago at 4 weeks. This coincided with me giving her cluster feeds every 2 hours before bed (eg around 4, 6 and 8pm). She goes to bed around 9pm and wakes somewhere between 5 and 7am.

We are still progressing with the self settling - seems to be 2 steps forward 1 step back!

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=BBB;6420680]I really like "the baby whisperer" book by Tracey Hogg. She talks about having a routine of eat, activity, sleep,

Yes, I have read that too, and really liked it. We have followed the basic pattern as suggested in the book since DS was born. I still refer back to it when things feel a bit out of control!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Chlozzel  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleep Routines

I may be a little late coming into this discussion, but as my advice is a little different to all the others I thought I'd post it anyway.

I am a very (OTT) organised person and so after a rough start with our little one a friend recommended Save Our Sleep by Tizzie Hall, more for my own sake than FJs. From 2wks my husband and I folloed Tizzie's ideas for sleep routines with one difference, we FF our baby whenever he was hungry and let him sleep when he was tired... but still did the routines as well. This way he got used to sleep and food at certain times, but was never left going hungry or tired.

Now he's 10wks old and he definately knows his routine... in fact, his sleep routine helped him survive and adjust on our recent trip to NZ to visit family.

I honestly think you need to consider your personality type and the way your family works AND the best thing for the baby. If you need a routine (like I did), because as routine will help you feel organised a little bit more in control, then this is a good thing for your bubs as well as they pick up on how you're feeling. If you are able and happy to just go with the flow and be led by bubs then they'll thrive on that too. Don't try to do anything just because you've read it somewhere - YOU have to be relatively confident (seriously, who's 100% confident with a baby?!?!!) and comfortable with whatever choice you make... because no matter what you do there'll be some who agree and some who disagree!!!

I hope that's a little bit helpful for you? Always remember you have the best interests of your bubs in mind, so how can you go wrong?!

KT :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KatieMarie For This Useful Post:

Beatnik  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i follow a very loose routine, which is more of a sleep cue on my mind. My ds2 is 9 weeks old. Before bed i feed him before his bath (his grumbly so takes it always) than i bath him, dress him, put him in his sleepy wrap which he only gets at night time than turn lights off in bedroom and feed him, burp him and bat his bum until his alseep than i pop him into hammock, sometimes he isnt asleep enough when i put him in (i know his within 30 seconds because i can see him wriggling around) and i have to get him again and usually i try feeding him again (because the fuller he is the longer he will go until waking!) and than i pat his bum until he asleep again. At night the minute he starts wriggling around and grizzling (im a light sleeper so alays wakes me up) i get up and feed him again, usually its a 5 minute feed and his back down again. This happens probably 4 times a night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing as I have an almost 1 week old and I'm interested in different points of view.