+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did anyone take placenta?

Hi ladies
    Wondering if anyone took their placenta home for ceremony or anything.. We are wanting to but told it goes verryyy bad after 2 hours from birth.
    What did you do? Did you dh take it home straight after birth? Did hospital store for you a few hours?

Donto want dh to have to hurry home foe the placenta burial..straight after birth!!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Who told you about the 2 hour thing? Not true.

My baby was born at home and we put his placenta in a plastic ice cream container. It was on the bench for a number of hours and nothing about it went bad.

Optimally, after bub and placenta have been seperated you would just place it in the fridge at the hospital. When your partner heads home, he could take it in a cool bag but unless you live a long way from the hospital this is probably unneccesary. You can freeze the placenta if you want to wait until you are home to bury it or do whatever you want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We brought home the placenta. They popped it in a small sealed bucket for us. With bub in SCN and everything going on DH forgot to take it home that day. It stayed on the floor next to my bed for almost 24hrs before he took it home and put it in the fridge. I put it in the freezer a few days later when we finally made it home. Bub was 6 months when I defrosted it for planting, it wasn't smelly at all which surprised me given what happened. (lol)
    Anyhow, I'm sure you would be fine to refrigerate or freeze until ready for ceremony

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a total of 4 placentas in our freezers now. DD1 (our first bub) turns 6 next weekend. One day we will get around to burying all 4 with special trees on top of each, but until then they are safe and sound in the freezer and faring much better than any other meat we have in there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kbf2plus2 For This Useful Post:

angelsfli  (17-07-2013)

abiishu is offline embrace your inner birthing goddess
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol PP, I have 2 in my freezer as well! Glad to know I'm not the only one into stockpiling placentas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so happy to hear you guys had left placenta for a while before putting in fridge and it wasn't a big deal..

Our ob was the one who told us about it going bad after a couple of hours so that's strange if not true.. Maybe he just wanted to make see it was out of his way? Unsure there.

Thanks that helps more with our planning on what to do. Now mum and dad can take it home for us after their first visit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our Doula took our placenta and made it into placenta capsules for me. She didn't leave hospy untill about 4 hrs after birth, then had to drive for an hour before getting into a fridge, we just out it in a cooler bag!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do encapsulations for other women and as long as common sense hygiene is observed the placenta is fine.

The only reason I could think for an Ob to say it went yuck is because they dont want to release it. In Australia its classed as medical waste and some hospitals have strict rules about forms to sign to release it but it no big issue, just a couple of signatures.