+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Am I doing anything wrong?

I guess I'm writing this post cause I'm after a yes or no "am I doing anything wrong?". I'm really struggling with the stigma that co-sleeping/bed-sharing is unsafe.

My baby girl is 3 weeks old today. Since we've been home I've tried moving her to her bassinet or fold out little co-sleeper bed at night but she lasts about 5 minutes then wakes up crying. During the day she falls asleep on the pillow I rest her on when feeding so I happily leave her on that (always watching her) for her usual 1-2 hour naps.

Night time is the big issue. The only way I've found I can get 3.5-4 hours sleep is if I feed her beside me till she falls asleep. I make sure she's not near any edges and I make sure I protect her from any rolling my husband may do.

I've read so many things on feed, play, sleep and I've tried it but she won't settle. I've tried swaddling her and she hates her arms restrained so I've accepted the fact that they need to always be out. I've also read that I shouldn't let her fall asleep on my boob. Should I stop reading up on this maybe? Lol

I feel like I'm being a bad mum subjecting her to unsafe habits but I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. This is my first baby so I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I co slept while bf all 5 of my babies. Do what feels right for you an your baby

Sent from my V9 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    i dont think your doing anything wrong... yes there is a risk and your aware of that, but i dont think it is worth losing sleep with worrying if your doing right or wrong.for me i wasnt planning on co sleeping but it happened naturally.it worked for me though my girls mostly slept in the bassinet for the first half of the night then second half in my bed (mostly).i think as a parent you just have to do the best you can and having sleep is important so if that works for you then that is good. if all the sids stuff worries you then thereis actually a co sleeping basket thing that sits between you nd hubby that can keep them safe ... i didnt bother with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are not doing anything wrong (except maybe reading to many baby books, lol).

I chose to co-sleep with my baby, now 5.5 months, and have since birth because it works for us. It is just so much easier for night feeding, and we like it.

Look up the sids site for some guidelines on how to safely co-sleep.

For us we wear warmer clothes to bed (if needed), and only use light blankets, or just a sheet. Baby is at chest height, so away from my pillow, and sleeps in the crook of my arm, safe from being rolled on by DP.

I also have a mesh roll guard on my side, now she is a bit older and rolling.

And falling asleep on the boob, it is what babies do, and it makes life easier for us and them. My DD has already grown out of it for day sleeps of her own accord, and now I settle her with rocking and patting. Honestly, it was easier feeding her to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bubba slept right beside me until she was three months, still does when she wakes at 7:00.
    She decided she was going to sleep through in the bed, I was very excited she was sleeping through the night but so sad my cuddle monster was no longer there.
    Do feels right for u!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so glad I'm not alone. Thank you!